Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Game Thread: Youngstown State

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
    We played absolutely great football all game long against Youngstown. The penalties were really the only aspect of the game we did not play perfect football in. That was the best overall performance by an SDSU team I have seen since going D1. I thought this was a better overall performance than even the NDSU game last year.
    Interesting comparison. I think NDSU was a tougher team so may be a hard comparison. At the same time, I agree with Launcher in that we did well in nearly all aspects of the game against Youngstown. I guess this just gives me a reason to watch the NDSU DVD once again (we win every time I watch it ).

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
      OK now fan board posters, let's not start a big discussion over the size of the attendance. I know for a fact that the attendance figure reported by SDSU for all athletic events is absolutely accurate. It counts every person inside the stadium.

Unlike some other schools, our AD insists on that accuracy...and our gate receipts totals support it. I don't care what it "looks like"...just understand that the reported figure is accurate and the final say on the subject.
      I realize this. There just must have been more people in the endzones due to the GA dilemma and kids playing to the west or something.

On a different note...I just see that Berry did not win offensive player of the week in the MVC and Kjerstad did not win defensive player of the week. Fairly disappointed that one of these guys did not win an award after the destruction of a preseason top 3 in the conference. The "W" is the key though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
        OK now fan board posters, let's not start a big discussion over the size of the attendance. I know for a fact that the attendance figure reported by SDSU for all athletic events is absolutely accurate. It counts every person inside the stadium.

Unlike some other schools, our AD insists on that accuracy...and our gate receipts totals support it. I don't care what it "looks like"...just understand that the reported figure is accurate and the final say on the subject.

I believe the attendance total was accurate. The West stands were pretty full, except for the very top in the farthest North section. End zones were full. Fans were standing along the fence everywhere. The East section looked pretty good in the middle section (couldn't see the far ends so I can't say what they looked like). To me, that would be around the 11-12,000 fans.
        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I agree as well that the attendance figure was right on. There were a lot of people in the north and south endzones!

Comment

Didn't have an opportunity to see the game, but couldn't have been more pleased to be wrong on my prediction!!! congrats to Stieg and the staff, and especially to Berry....big comeback after week 1....keep it rolling.
            Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
            Muhammad Ali

Comment

Quick comments for me. Great time at the tailgate. The weather didn't dampen our spirits one bit. I would have like to feel a little more buzz around Brookings about the big game.

Jackrabbits played an all around great game. Minet is a freakin stud. We have to ride that horse understanding that it is a long season. Duffy looked really solid and has a bright future. Claire looked good on limited carries. Paula is 5th on the depth chart. Where was Monke? Is he going to be just a return guy? I didn't see him on the field against YSU, I'm guessing he was hurt and I didn't hear about it.

Berry looked solid. He missed a couple of hot reads where our line and RB's picked up the initial blitz and he should have gotten rid of the ball but that is excusable. A little film review and some coaching and he'll hit those routes and avoid sacks.

Kick coverage and returns were very solid. A couple of crappy holding calls late hung some penalty yards on us but all-in-all pretty clean game for our guys.

I was disappointed in the emply eastside grandstand (south end) but recognized that both endzones were much fuller than usual. Westside could have been fuller. I was guessing 10,500 - 11,000 so the announced attendance made me happy. Crowd was great in the first half, not as impressive after halftime.

Am I crazy to think 15,000 might show up on Saturday? Western Illinois is a great team and we have incentive to kick their butts after last years loss. Its the Beef Bowl and the weather is going to be perfect. I'll be there at 1:00 pm sharp.

Last thing, if your a true fan of Jackrabbit football you'll be in the stands on Saturday or you will be VERY DISAPPOINTED that you can't be there. Make it happen. Arrive at 6 pm and you can be back in the car on the way home by 9:30 pm. Find the time and support the guys and our university. You won't regret it.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

TV's gameday blog reported that Monke was sidelined with an injury.
                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                  TV's gameday blog reported that Monke was sidelined with an injury.
                  My mistake for missing it. I figured that was the case.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    My mistake for missing it. I figured that was the case.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...18/1002/SPORTS

TV's article from today.

No. 2 Adam Monke sat out with a leg injury.
                    And this little tidbit..

Seven Jacks - most of them little-used reserves - were forced to sit out Saturday as punishment for violating unspecified team rules
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Am I crazy to think 15,000 might show up on Saturday?
                      That's the expectation I'm hearing on campus. The early line on the weather calls for sunny skies and 73 on Saturday. Conference game. Coming off a big win. Good weather. Beef Bowl. I expect a big crowd.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Quick comments for me. Great time at the tailgate. The weather didn't dampen our spirits one bit. I would have like to feel a little more buzz around Brookings about the big game.

Jackrabbits played an all around great game. Minet is a freakin stud. We have to ride that horse understanding that it is a long season. Duffy looked really solid and has a bright future. Claire looked good on limited carries. Paula is 5th on the depth chart. Where was Monke? Is he going to be just a return guy? I didn't see him on the field against YSU, I'm guessing he was hurt and I didn't hear about it.

Berry looked solid. He missed a couple of hot reads where our line and RB's picked up the initial blitz and he should have gotten rid of the ball but that is excusable. A little film review and some coaching and he'll hit those routes and avoid sacks.

Kick coverage and returns were very solid. A couple of crappy holding calls late hung some penalty yards on us but all-in-all pretty clean game for our guys.

I was disappointed in the emply eastside grandstand (south end) but recognized that both endzones were much fuller than usual. Westside could have been fuller. I was guessing 10,500 - 11,000 so the announced attendance made me happy. Crowd was great in the first half, not as impressive after halftime.

Am I crazy to think 15,000 might show up on Saturday? Western Illinois is a great team and we have incentive to kick their butts after last years loss. Its the Beef Bowl and the weather is going to be perfect. I'll be there at 1:00 pm sharp.

Last thing, if your a true fan of Jackrabbit football you'll be in the stands on Saturday or you will be VERY DISAPPOINTED that you can't be there. Make it happen. Arrive at 6 pm and you can be back in the car on the way home by 9:30 pm. Find the time and support the guys and our university. You won't regret it.
                        MD-You hit on something that has bothered me in the past and that is a lack of buzz in Brookings on game day. I realize not everyone in town is going to be an SDSU football fan, but have to think there is room for improving the marketing of the game in town. Maybe it's local business's posting good luck Jacks on their billboards or portable signs like I have seen in other towns on the main arteries that states time of the game and opponent. How about banners hanging from the lightposts on game day. Other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                          MD-You hit on something that has bothered me in the past and that is a lack of buzz in Brookings on game day. I realize not everyone in town is going to be an SDSU football fan, but have to think there is room for improving the marketing of the game in town. Maybe it's local business's posting good luck Jacks on their billboards or portable signs like I have seen in other towns on the main arteries that states time of the game and opponent. How about banners hanging from the lightposts on game day. Other ideas?
                          Jackpot!! The local businesses should sponsor gameday "tailgates". Banners should be hung on 6th street (highway 14) and everyone regardless of their zest for the Jackrabbits should be aware that Big Blue is taking the field at CAS that day. A lot of things could be done, the question is how do you make them happen?

Comment

Jackpot!! The local businesses should sponsor gameday "tailgates". Banners should be hung on 6th street (highway 14) and everyone regardless of their zest for the Jackrabbits should be aware that Big Blue is taking the field at CAS that day. A lot of things could be done, the question is how do you make them happen?
                            The first thing we noticed when we hit Missoula a couple of years ago was that throughout town it's all Griz, all the time. Street banners, signs on businesses, etc. You know you're in the hometown of the U of Montana.
                            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

I would think this is something the local business's, city council and mayor need to spearhead. SDSU produces a lot of economic stimulus to the community and I think on game days it would be exciting to see the entire town go BLUE! It might just encourage more local residents to see what all the fuss is about!

Comment

As much as I would love to be in the stands Saturday night, my current financial difficulties make that a pretty big burden. Especially when I'm working a second job nearly every weekend.

But I WILL make it to Hobo Day. I've dedicated myself to being at that game.
                                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                                X