Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game Thread: Youngstown State

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
    KSFY did had good highlights. The KELO guy couldn't quit coughing so I switched.
    I think he is only 14 so he is just going through a voice change.

Comment

Just got home (12:30 A.M.) from a very satisfying win. YSU is a good football team (although they were probably rated too high in the FCS polls) and SDSU basically beat them in all aspects of the game. I still think, however, YSU will win some games this year -- any team that overlooks them will be making a huge mistake.

The only downside of the entire game: opponents the remainder of the season will not make the mistake of looking beyond the Jackrabbit!

One poster questioned the attendance figure. I sat on the east side, which is all reserved as noted before. It was easy to get a tickets on the 45-yard line, row 7, aisle seat...great vantage point. But, I thought the east side was at least 2/3rds full. Officially (now reported on GoJacks.com), the crowd was a cereal bowl record: 11,832. I think that's an accurate figure. The end zones were mostly filled (granted, people were sitting wide) and the west side was about 90+% filled. So, a nice crowd.

The weather at game time was very good and improved to excellent in the first half. The second half had to be considered perfect football weather.
      I think the prospect of bad weather kept some away (if you stayed away due to weather: bad choice!).

Man, we looked very good. Minet: very impressive. Minet was explosive power at times and pure finesse at times. Berry looked like the D-1 leader we hoped and expected him to be. O-line played up to ability: clearly had put the Iowa State game in the past. The entire defense was hard-hitting and just plain smart. Great adjustments throughout the game -- great coaching!

We no longer have to talk about 0-3 starts.

Comment

KDLT led with the Jacks, then had Canaries and Dakota Bowl.

Next weekend is President's Bowl in Sioux Falls, O'G vs Roosevelt at 5, and Washington vs Lincoln at 8. IF there is any affect on SDSU attendance by SF high school football, it will be felt more next weekend than last.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

That's the best half of football i've seen the Jacks play in a long, long time. And that includes the moronic playcalling from the 3 yard line on the first drive...remember ISU from inside the 5 coaches. Absolutely pumped with the defense and our rejuvinated QB for pretty much the whole game.

Wow there were a lot of personal foul penalties, though...maybe 5 or 6 combined.

I'm humbly going to disagree with the 11,800 number. I was very disappointed at our fans. Look at the radar people, the rain was going to be gone by gametime. It was a spectacular night to watch football. I was overdressed with a sweatshirt and windbreaker. I would have guessed 8500 to 9000. I sat in my seats on the west side and then moved after half to stand with some others in the endzones and then noticed even the west side wasn't full. Once again, very disappointing for a home opener against a formidable conference foe. If there aren't 15k there next week.....

Big game next week...keep it rolling Jacks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
            Wow there were a lot of personal foul penalties, though...maybe 5 or 6 combined.
            A couple of the personal fouls were of the unavoidable kind. I know one was a "Horse collar tackle". On something like that do you grab whatever you can to make the tackle or let the guy keep running? The only reason it is even a rule is because Roy Williams hurt TO's ankle with one a couple years ago.

Another one was hands to the helmet of the quarterback.

The preventable ones should definitely be addressed though. I see no point in giving the opponents 15 yards for no good reason (See U of Washington vs. BYU). Don't even give them the opportunity to throw the flag.

Comment

That's the best half of football i've seen the Jacks play in a long, long time. And that includes the moronic playcalling from the 3 yard line on the first drive...remember ISU from inside the 5 coaches. Absolutely pumped with the defense and our rejuvinated QB for pretty much the whole game.

I'm humbly going to disagree with the 11,800 number. I was very disappointed at our fans. Look at the radar people, the rain was going to be gone by gametime. It was a spectacular night to watch football. I was overdressed with a sweatshirt and windbreaker. I would have guessed 8500 to 9000. I sat in my seats on the west side and then moved after half to stand with some others in the endzones and then noticed even the west side wasn't full. Once again, very disappointing for a home opener against a formidable conference foe. If there aren't 15k there next week.....

Big game next week...keep it rolling Jacks!!!
              Agreed - those attendance figures need to be 15,000 when the weather is good. How do we achieve that. What can we add to the product other than wins? It's kind of a 'chicken or the egg' question with stadium upgrades.

Comment

And it's great to see such a complete game. It's time for the Jacks to expect that week in and week out.

Comment

Full meltdown mode at the ysupenguins.com discussion board. They're shocked that they could lose to us. Here's a representative comment:

"We were not mismatched in talent, as a matter of fact we have much better athletes on our team than South Dakota (I could see it). I think their O-line was only like 250 lbs. They were not fast. We played stupid."

Yes. Our offensive line is "250 lbs": Or, if you take the time to look at the roster on gojacks.com, you'll see that the average is more like 290. No matter the size, our line dominated the "talent" on YSU's side of the ball. In reality, I saw a lot of talent on both sides of the field last night. We just played better than they did. Why is that so hard to understand? Another YSU poster suggested SDSU is a lower half MVFC team. That remains to be seen. A win against WIU would maybe help answer that one.

I think I see why YSU is not the most popular school among other MVFC schools. I was at the YSU game last year, and I sensed a healthy dose of paternalism from their athletics staff. We were that cute little team from South Dakota and they were the mighty, mighty, always invincible Penguins. They're living on their past and can't imagine that anybody could be better than them. I can't wait to see what NDSU does to them in a couple of weeks. It'll be another 40-7 kind of game, I think.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I went to the YSU message board per your link. Its ugly over there. They call for heads. Like Heacock. Apparently he is no Tressell. Also noted they did not expect SDSU to get to the top half of the conference by season end. Lets play the games.

Comment

• Re: Game Thread: Youngstown State

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                      A couple of the personal fouls were of the unavoidable kind. I know one was a "Horse collar tackle". On something like that do you grab whatever you can to make the tackle or let the guy keep running? The only reason it is even a rule is because Roy Williams hurt TO's ankle with one a couple years ago.

Another one was hands to the helmet of the quarterback.

The preventable ones should definitely be addressed though. I see no point in giving the opponents 15 yards for no good reason (See U of Washington vs. BYU). Don't even give them the opportunity to throw the flag.
                      Also keep in mind that every facemask penalty is now a personal foul.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

In recent years, we've had more than our fair share of personal fouls. It's a tendency we need to shake.

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        Also keep in mind that every facemask penalty is now a personal foul.
                        Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Last night the personal fouls that were called against SDSU were:
                          Horse collar tackle
                          Helmet to the knee of the QB
                          Roughing.

Of those the roughing one is stupid, the helmet to the knee is just being too aggressive and needs to be corrected, and the third was natural reaction and the first year this penalty was called, again aggressive and needs to be corrected.

If I'm not mistaked both the horse collar and helmet to the knee were on Fischer which should be corrected with playing time. The roughing just needs not to happen.
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

As I recall, only one of the personal foul penalties was the stupid kind that occurs after the play where we come in and shove somebody. YSU was guilty of more than we were.

Comment

I'm humbly going to disagree with the 11,800 number.
                              OK now fan board posters, let's not start a big discussion over the size of the attendance. I know for a fact that the attendance figure reported by SDSU for all athletic events is absolutely accurate. It counts every person inside the stadium.

Unlike some other schools, our AD insists on that accuracy...and our gate receipts totals support it. I don't care what it "looks like"...just understand that the reported figure is accurate and the final say on the subject.

Comment

We played absolutely great football all game long against Youngstown. The penalties were really the only aspect of the game we did not play perfect football in. That was the best overall performance by an SDSU team I have seen since going D1. I thought this was a better overall performance than even the NDSU game last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X