Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Youngstown State

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
    I realize the "older crowd" probably is donating more $$$ than us younger crowd, but come on, this goes back to what we are talking about...this is a home football game where you yell and support your team to pump them up for a win. If you want subtle music and a murmur through the crowd, go to church on Saturday night and not CAS.
    Yes the older crowd not probably but does donate more $$$ than "us younger crowd". If we all stayed home or went to Saturday church, I doubt there would not have been 11800 in attendance. The older people have some rights too, like buying a season ticket and the right to be observant but quiet during a game. Where is that requirement that states that older folks must come to the game with a vocally loud manner and under the influence of drugs? Beer is a drug btw.

There is one door that I will never ever darken again and that is the Kansas State BB facility that I darken many years ago. I bought a ticket for a K-State Minnesota game, back in the days of the NCC and D2 bb at SDSU. I thought I had a great view since I got to the game early. When the game started all those KSU students and fans stood up and blocked your view. I could not see anything. Then when a time out was called, they all sat down. If that procedure ever becomes a norm at SDSU, color me and my $$$ gone.

I don’t know what the answer is, but I think a number of older fans are there to see the band perform, and that’s one problem. Others are there for game and band. Then there are those that are not up on all the rules even though they should be. That is, they don’t get the significance of a third and 3 play like some of the young dudes do. I have read many of these same comments over on Bisonville. Again, those daddy war bucks old people are being blamed. Also with an indoor facility has a way of increasing the noise level, so they don’t need noisemakers. What I noticed at last years NDSU-SDSU game in Brookings the cheers that seemed to come more from students seemed to be more organized, and yes they were vocal out side, but not like they are in the FargoDome.

I just don’t like being blamed for the problem anymore than the next guy. That is not to say I will make some noise at the WIU game as we will need all the support we can get.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 09-07-2008, 01:33 PM.

Comment

There was a good group of us a bit higher in G that were good with cheering and especially bell ringing. It will be interesting to see how everything plays out with our group through the season. I have to say, though...I don't think we can ever get on students for standing at sporting events.
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
        My girlfriend is in her last year with the Pride. Is that a good enough source?
        Just wondering where you got it from. In my 4 years in the Pride never heard McKinney once complain about any of the stadium audio. Now if you are talking piping in noise (not music) I am completely against that. You want more noise get the crowd to make it. Oh and I realize that I did not come off very polite on my last post, and I apologize for that. I will admit being a 4 year tuba player makes me a bit defensive about some of the board comments.

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
        In regards to the Pride- isn't it time (or past time) they retire the "he puts out fires" chant?
        Why would you retire the Fire Fighter cheer? It is great. Do you want to get rid of the Ugly cheer too?
        Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
        -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
          Why would you retire the Fire Fighter cheer? It is great. Do you want to get rid of the Ugly cheer too?
          Yes. And yes. Why? Because it has nothing to do with rooting for the football team. It's a football game, not a "look-at-me" contest.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
            Yes. And yes. Why? Because it has nothing to do with rooting for the football team. It's a football game, not a "look-at-me" contest.
            Ditto.

Comment

I would argue the UGLY cheer has something to do with the football game because to me it is some good natured ribbing at the other team. However, I cannot argue football on the Fire Fighter cheer. However, I would say it isn't a 'look-at-me' cheer but more something the band does to have a little fun.

Comment

Do you have a good reference on that or is it just hearsay?

Unfortunately with the Pride being as big as it is, it is difficult to get everyone to pay enough attention to the game and the drum majors to play the little bits at every opportunity. It would be better if there is a 'pep band' portion that is already ready to go and the whole band just plays at quarters. Just MHO though.

One of my 'adopted little brothers', is a freshman this year. They didn't even have practice until Thursday this week. Surprised the heck out of me. Unfortunately I think next weeks show might be a disappointed to a lot of this board. I so hope I am wrong though.
                I think having a smaller portion of the full Pride being the designated Football Fire-up Band (make up some catchy name) is a Most Excellent Idea . . . could even be the core of a traveling band to take on the road to some games.

Elsewhere . . . I think it's fantastic that students stand the entire game. The athletic administration should note that and encourage it . . . which means designing or re-designing the seating so that the students can stand without obstructing the view of us seated old f*rts.

And, y'all youngsters need to know that Being Loud For A Long Time Starts Hurting Oldsters Real Bad. I've given myself nasty headaches at basketball games, for instance, which finally convinced me to tone it down--a bit.

Some of the lack of enthusiasm on the part of the non-student-types may be apathy, I suppose, some of it is probably some "Minnesota Nice"-type behavior, and some is that we oldsters just can't do it like y'all young'uns any more. And I'm talking about cheering, there.

From listening to the webcast, it sounded like there was lots of noise at the appropriate times. (And yeah I know that's probably as much microphone placement as anything, but it did sound good from down here in Missouri.)
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Elsewhere . . . I think it's fantastic that students stand the entire game. The athletic administration should note that and encourage it . . . which means designing or re-designing the seating so that the students can stand without obstructing the view of us seated old f*rts.
                  Thought the students were separated from the 'paying' ticket holders by the band.

Comment

I don't neccesarily get standing the whole game just for the sake of standing. I notice a lot of those people aren't even into the game. I think you can make a lot of noise sitting in your seat and I do. What I don't understand is how even the "old crowd" can't be taught to stand and make a little noise at a critical time ie. 3rd down and how that can be so beneficial to the home team. Maybe someone can explain to me why standing the whole game fad is so neccessary? It also makes the game less enjoyable for younger kids who have a hard time seeing to begin with.

Comment

Seems to me the way to sell more reserved seats is to move the students and band to the east side (bleachers) and sell more seats on the west side. It also eliminates other potential problems of people who don't want to be next to standing students or the band. Move the students and band, sell the rest of the west side as reserved and sell a section of reserved on the east side for visiting fans. Doesn't this make more sense? Having so few GA seats as things are now seems a bad idea...there are very few seats that aren't reserved and it almost seems a little disingenuous to sell too many of those tickets. OK, Jack fans...sounds off!
                      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                        Seems to me the way to sell more reserved seats is to move the students and band to the east side (bleachers) and sell more seats on the west side. It also eliminates other potential problems of people who don't want to be next to standing students or the band. Move the students and band, sell the rest of the west side as reserved and sell a section of reserved on the east side for visiting fans. Doesn't this make more sense? Having so few GA seats as things are now seems a bad idea...there are very few seats that aren't reserved and it almost seems a little disingenuous to sell too many of those tickets. OK, Jack fans...sounds off!
                        Having the student section and visitor section on the same side is just asking for trouble. Wouldn't have a problem moving the band to one of the endzones to open up the grandstand seating though.

Comment

OK, revised plan for what it's worth: Sell the northern section (or part of it) on the west side as reserved seats for the visiting school. They would be next to SDSU adults, but when there's a big crowd fans from the other school are near SDSU fans even now. Then move the students (and band?) to the east. You might not be able to sell any reserved seats on the east side, but...well, they're pretty crappy bleachers if truths were to be told. Anyhow, just my two cents that seems smarter than the current plan. At least to me. But what do I know?

Having the student section and visitor section on the same side is just asking for trouble. Wouldn't have a problem moving the band to one of the endzones to open up the grandstand seating though.

Comment

I think that's a good idea. It would open up reserved seating on the main grandstand and move at least some general admission to the east side. The people on the main grandstand would be able to hear the band, even if it was just a pep-band, subset playing for most of the game (I couldn't hear the smaller band during the NDSU game even though I'm just two sections away from them.) It would have the added benefit of making it much, much easier for the band to get on the field and back off at halftime.

All in favor?
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Easy on, easy off...not unlike how Iowa State did it.

I think that's a good idea. It would open up reserved seating on the main grandstand and move at least some general admission to the east side. The people on the main grandstand would be able to hear the band, even if it was just a pep-band, subset playing for most of the game (I couldn't hear the smaller band during the NDSU game even though I'm just two sections away from them.) It would have the added benefit of making it much, much easier for the band to get on the field and back off at halftime.

All in favor?

Comment

Not saying the crowd was great by any means, but you guys think the fact that we were up 27-0 at halftime maybe had something to do with people not paying much attention in the second half?

Comment

Working...
                                X