• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Youngstown State

Yep.
    We sucked.

Comment

I think it's safe to say that nobody saw 40-7 coming . . . even us Jacks fans.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by guinzone View Post
        Yep.
        We sucked.
        There were times Y-State looked pretty good. But turnovers hurt you. I'm not taking anything away from how the Jacks played, but there were times Y-State could move the ball pretty good. Just like the Jacks, your team started off with 2 tough games and either team could have come out 0-2 record wise. Your team will come back.
        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I am depressed they put up the no cowbell sign at the football entrances. I am also disappointed they moved general admission to the endzones. The east side is now reserved seating. Tailgating was good. The chain gang spot is well worth stopping at. Blue and yellow picket fence very impressive. Also impressive is the Harris, Fox, Schroder tailgate spot. Good food and good people, great times had. Also good is the Keith Rounds tailgate wagon in the Northwest corner of the lot.

Comment

So...sings notwithstanding...did people take their cowbells? I had to miss the game tonight. If this is just an administrative decision, it's a very, very bad one.
            Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by guinzone View Post
              Yep.
              We sucked.
              I dont think this game is indicative of how talented YSU is as a whole team. I think your youthful secondary had problems with some of our passes for big yardage. YSU is in the middle of good high school football. The Penguins have always had very good talent because of this. I see the roster has a number of Ohio athletes. I dont question the coaching either, but tonight SDSU had it going their way.

I lived in Dayton Ohio in 1973 and drove up to Youngstown for the SDSU-YSU game. YSU had steel mills going full blast at the time, but there was no staduim on campus and the game was played at a high school field as I recall.

A good friend of mine was on the SDSU team of 1979 and recalls as though yesterday, the big bad defeat we received in Youngstown in the D2 playoff game. So its been a good series in the past. Both schools have claimed their victories and suffered their defeats. I for one look forward to some more meetings in the future. The MVC is not going to be a push over by any means. The Penquins will be okay and will win some games this season.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                So...sings notwithstanding...did people take their cowbells? I had to miss the game tonight. If this is just an administrative decision, it's a very, very bad one.
                I wonder if this was a precondition of getting admitted to the conference. I suspect it could be since, they have made that point by putting up signs and taking all the cowbell stuff off the big scoreboard except the cowbell shuffle.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                  I just email Patty Viverito, Senior Associate Commissioner with the Missouri Valley Conference. I believe she is in charge of the football portion of the league. I hope she will respond and let us know if this is a league rule.

I fully agree with JackFan96, that if the SDSU administration made this decision it is a very, very bad decision. But is does follow their pattern of not being able to reach the SDSU fans. I believe they have 'missed the boat' on more than one occasion with their marketing decisions and are frustrating students, alumni and friends of the university.

Maybe next week they could give away muzzles to even reduce the crowd noise produced by cheering. Then we could set are sites on being the quietest crowd in the FCS and we could be known for giving visiting teams the "silent treatment".
                  We...ARE...STATE!
                  SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

I'll be interested in hearing the Commissioner's response. I forgot to take my cowbell today and as I was entering CAS, my wife and I saw the sign and she asked whether I knew cowbells couldn't be used. Nope, I answered: just forgot to bring mine.

If cowbells are forbidden, then that damned cannon and fireworks in the Fargodome will be out. I might be willing to make that trade but, what the heck, there won't be any cannons shot or fireworks exploded in the FargoDome when SDSU plays there this year (unless, of course, they start using those noisemakers when the visiting team scores).

Comment

• Re: Youngstown State

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      I'll be interested in hearing the Commissioner's response. I forgot to take my cowbell today and as I was entering CAS, my wife and I saw the sign and she asked whether I knew cowbells couldn't be used. Nope, I answered: just forgot to bring mine.

If cowbells are forbidden, then that damned cannon and fireworks in the Fargodome will be out. I might be willing to make that trade but, what the heck, there won't be any cannons shot or fireworks exploded in the FargoDome when SDSU plays there this year (unless, of course, they start using those noisemakers when the visiting team scores).
                      Artificial noisemakers are banned from conference play. No cowbells, thunder stix, etc... The Bison fireworks don't count because they are not being used by fans during the game. Only after a TD.

Comment

If we can't use cowbells anywhere we might as well change our damn fight song. Why the hell should we ring our bells for South Dakota if the damn administration won't let us bring em to events that require bells? I love my school, but somewhere in the leadership there needs to be a change for the better atmosphere wise. We might as well start a campaign for a new fight song.......

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                          If we can't use cowbells anywhere we might as well change our damn fight song. Why the hell should we ring our bells for South Dakota if the damn administration won't let us bring em to events that require bells? I love my school, but somewhere in the leadership there needs to be a change for the better atmosphere wise. We might as well start a campaign for a new fight song.......
                          Per the prior post, blame the conference, not the administration.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Based on information I had gotten earlier in the day I took mine. It was jingling in the bag as we walked in and the ticket taker told us no cowbells or it was a 15 yard unsportsmanlike. We just stuffed a stocking hat in it so it couldn't ring.

Needless to say very dissappointed about that rule.

Comment

I did have a cowbell ring a couple of times behind me. Sounded like just one.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
                                I just email Patty Viverito, Senior Associate Commissioner with the Missouri Valley Conference. I believe she is in charge of the football portion of the league. I hope she will respond and let us know if this is a league rule.

I fully agree with JackFan96, that if the SDSU administration made this decision it is a very, very bad decision. But is does follow their pattern of not being able to reach the SDSU fans. I believe they have 'missed the boat' on more than one occasion with their marketing decisions and are frustrating students, alumni and friends of the university.

Maybe next week they could give away muzzles to even reduce the crowd noise produced by cheering. Then we could set are sites on being the quietest crowd in the FCS and we could be known for giving visiting teams the "silent treatment".
                                I think we may already be the "quietest crowd in FCS." Our defense did an OUTSTANDING job last night (save the opening possession of the third quarter) but the noise level on any third/fourth down for YSU was barely noticeable. This has been talked about on this board in previous seasons and it is time WE ALL do something about it. I tried to make some noise and stood to clap/yell, but could count on one hand (sometimes two) those who did likewise in my section. I don't think, no matter how young/old you are, that it is too much to ask for EVERYONE to get into the game when the opponent is facing a third/fourth down. Better crowd support leads to better play!

Comment

Working...
                                X