Youngstown State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youngstown State

Last year in Youngstown, we spotted the Penguins 14 points in the first quarter and then pushed them to the limit in a 23-17 loss that was in doubt right to the end. YSU held us to 48 yards rushing, and it looks like the defensive front is one of their strengths again this year, led by Mychal Savage. On the other side of the ball, they've implemented a new spread offense this season and have three untested quarterbacks.

I saw that game last year. We outplayed them after the first quarter debacle that included a blocked punt return for a TD. At one point we had a four down goal line stand that kept them from putting us away. YSU has some really good players (a trio of good running backs, for example), but nobody (other than Savage) who should create a problematic mismatch for us.

It's the Cereal Bowl and we had about 11,000 for the first home game last year. Here's hoping for a really big crowd for our first MVFC win.
    Holy nutmeg!

Re: Youngstown State

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    Last year in Youngstown, we spotted the Penguins 14 points in the first quarter and then pushed them to the limit in a 23-17 loss that was in doubt right to the end. YSU held us to 48 yards rushing, and it looks like the defensive front is one of their strengths again this year, led by Mychal Savage. On the other side of the ball, they've implemented a new spread offense this season and have three untested quarterbacks.

I saw that game last year. We outplayed them after the first quarter debacle that included a blocked punt return for a TD. At one point we had a four down goal line stand that kept them from putting us away. YSU has some really good players (a trio of good running backs, for example), but nobody (other than Savage) who should create a problematic mismatch for us.

It's the Cereal Bowl and we had about 11,000 for the first home game last year. Here's hoping for a really big crowd for our first MVFC win.
    As the FIRST EVER MISSOURI VALLEY FOOTBALL GAME, not just for the Jacks and Penguins, but for all 9 teams, it is SDSU's right to STUFF COUGHLIN NDSU full for what should be a GREAT, well CONTESTED, game. Good (warm) weather, a festive Tailgate in the backyard, and cheer til lose your voice for a Jacks win.

Penguins and Jacks are tied 2-2, so time to get a lead on them again.

I'm even coming up from Atlanta to watch this game, so be on the look out for a Rabid Rabbit!

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
      As the FIRST EVER MISSOURI VALLEY FOOTBALL GAME, not just for the Jacks and Penguins, but for all 9 teams, it is SDSU's right to STUFF COUGHLIN NDSU full for what should be a GREAT, well CONTESTED, game. Good (warm) weather, a festive Tailgate in the backyard, and cheer til lose your voice for a Jacks win.

Penguins and Jacks are tied 2-2, so time to get a lead on them again.

I'm even coming up from Atlanta to watch this game, so be on the look out for a Rabid Rabbit!
      Its my 30th BDay on Sunday, I'm doing everything I can to get as many people to the game as I can for some great tailgating and Jackrabbit football to celebrate it.

Comment

Three untested qb's and a trio of good running backs in a spread offense? Something tells me our defensive coaches should be able to use those facts to our advantage in game planning this week! Did Youngstown get a new coach? Just curious as to why they are switching to a spread offense. It does seem to be the in thing in college football these days!

Comment

I picked that part up also Idaho. I guess we might be able to get a sense of that when they play Ohio State Saturday.

I for one am pretty excited about the possibilities for this team after what I saw last night. If Berry can avoid white jerseys this week and people hold on to the ball, This team is going to be just fine this year.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
            I picked that part up also Idaho. I guess we might be able to get a sense of that when they play Ohio State Saturday.
            I'd rather be coming off a game with ISU and have an extra couple of days to prepare than be limping home from Ohio State with a regular week of prep.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

No doubt!
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

JimmyJack, what do you know about Mychal Savage? Is he an all american level player or what?

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
                  JimmyJack, what do you know about Mychal Savage? Is he an all american level player or what?
                  He was named to the Sports Network pre-season, first-team All-America team. He was 3rd team last year. He's really good, and the rest of their front 7 is awfully good, too. From what I saw last year and what I have been able to read this year, they're not a flashy team, but are really solid in the trenches.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Youngstown State has their hands full with #2 Ohio State today. May come in a little beat up.

Comment

Anybody who has Big Ten Network will be able to see the Youngstown vs. Ohio State game, channel 439 on Dish Network. (I'll be switching back and forth between that and Maine at Iowa, channel 9501).
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Youngstown St. vs. Ohio State on the Big 10 network at 11:00 am on Midcontinent anyway.

I'll definitely be watching!!

Go Jacks!!
                        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          He was named to the Sports Network pre-season, first-team All-America team. He was 3rd team last year. He's really good, and the rest of their front 7 is awfully good, too. From what I saw last year and what I have been able to read this year, they're not a flashy team, but are really solid in the trenches.
                          I see sounds like a great player. Based on that post it sounds like Youngstown should be a pretty good matchup for us. I would tend to group SDSU into the category of being solid in the trenches but not really being a flashy team, so gotta like our chances at home!

Comment

YSU getting drubbed by Ohio State, 19-0 with 105,000 on hand in the horseshoe. Their defense looks stout, as advertised, but they're playing Ohio State. YSU's offense is completely overmatched, so it's hard to draw any conclusions.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Ohio State 43
                              Youngstown 3

Announcer: "Things don't get any easier for Youngstown. Next week they start conference play with a road game at South Dakota State."

While I agree that conference play is tough, I think we'd all agree that playing us IS easier than playing Ohio State.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                              X