X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iowa State

College Football: Predicting the 2008 FCS Upsets, Part II

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...upsets-part-ii

7. South Dakota State at Iowa State (Aug. 28)
    Iowa State struggled tremendously in their first year under former Texas defensive coordinator Gene Chizik, going only 3-9 despite having a veteran quarterback in Brett Meyer back.
    Chizik’s team did show improvement down the stretch, as they won two out of their last three games against Big 12 competition, including a stunning 31-28 upset over Colorado.
    Nevertheless, they lose a four-year starter at quarterback in Brett Meyer, as well as big play wide receiver Todd Blyth, who moves on after becoming Iowa State’s all-time leading receiver. The Cyclones do 14 fourteen starters for 2008, including their three top rushers from 2007 and four starting offensive lineman.
    However, this was an offense that averaged a paltry 18.2 points per game, and was held under 20 points per game on eight separate occasions last season (including games against Kent State and Northern Iowa).
    Chizik is a great defensive mind, but he’s never had to gameplan for an FCS team with the kind of talent he had at Auburn and Texas, so it was no surprise that his Cyclones fell to Northern Iowa in week two last season.
    While he has seven starters back to work with, he loses his two best assets in linebackers Alvin Bowen and Jon Banks, and with them the heart and soul of his defense. He’ll need more than scheme if he’s going to stop South Dakota State’s offense; he’s going to need to inspire effort and intensity.
    South Dakota State won the Gateway Conference in their first year of conference competition last season and finished the year ranked 19th in the country after pulling off an upset of powerhouse North Dakota State in the finale.
    South Dakota State loses a number of key players off of the offense and the defense but does return their starting quarterback Ryan Berry, who came on strong after a shaky opening to the 2007 season.
    The Jackrabbits have a core group of underrated skill position players, including receiver JaRon Harris, who is widely considered one of the best “small school” draft prospects in the country.
    I’m also very high on running back Kyle Minett, who excelled during spot duty for departing senior Cory Koening last season. Major losses from the defensive side of the football could hurt the Jackrabbits, but that’s assuming Iowa State’s Austen Arnaud and company are in a position to strike early and often (a big “if” at this point)
    One thing I look for when predicting upsets are FCS teams that have a mentality of winning and FBS teams which have struggled against FCS competition in recent years.
    This matchup is clearly a case, of both as South Dakota State comes off of a 7-4 season and a 4-0 record in conference play while Iowa State is coming off of a 24-13 loss to Northern Iowa last season and a 3-9 record.
    South Dakota State’s main problem over the last few seasons has been inconsistent quarterback play, but with Ryan Berry coming back they should be able to more easily disseminate the ball to their playmakers, including potential NFL prospect JaRon Harris.
    I think Chizik will have Iowa State headed in the right direction sooner rather than later, but he’s just not an offensive mind, and considering just how poorly Iowa State’s offense started last season (not to mention a new quarterback replacing a four-year starter) there isn’t precedence for Iowa State to score many points against even a rebuilding South Dakota State defense.
    South Dakota State is a talented FCS team, and after a strong finish last year I give the Jackrabbits a decent shot at knocking at an Iowa State team which is undergoing an identity change.

Comment

Sdsu 35
      Isu 21

Comment

Just imagine how cool a win would be for SDSU against Iowa State!

Ooh, baby, that would be SWEET!

How many people do you think will make the trip to Ames to see the game? I predicted 6-10,000 on the Iowa State fansite just because it is our first crack at a FCS team. It's not a horrible distance to travel, the game is winnable, and Iowa State is known for a great atmosphere. Am I nuts thinking that many? The only thing that may hurt the crowd is that is on a Thursday night.

I know one thing, you can pencil my a$$ there!!!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I'd be happy with 500-700 on a Thursday when it's 4-5 hours away.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
            How many people do you think will make the trip to Ames to see the game? I predicted 6-10,000 on the Iowa State fansite just because it is our first crack at a FCS team. It's not a horrible distance to travel, the game is winnable, and Iowa State is known for a great atmosphere. Am I nuts thinking that many?
            I would expect somewhere between 1000-1500. 6-10k fans?? Optimistic, and leaning heavily toward nuts. I hope I'm wrong and we get more there.

Prediction:
            SDSU 27
            ISU 24

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
              I would expect somewhere between 1000-1500. 6-10k fans?? Optimistic, and leaning heavily toward nuts. I hope I'm wrong and we get more there.

Prediction:
              SDSU 27
              ISU 24
              I've certainly been accused of being an optimist more than a few times on here.

Love the prediction though!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Well things got busy here and missed some days.

42 Days to Iowa State:

#42 Stefan Geissler, SO, 6-1, 215, Running Back, Cadott, Wis

Stefan (last name is pronounced GUYS-ler) has shifted back to running back after spending the 2007 season as a backup linebacker ... majoring in health promotion

Lettered after playing in nine games ... intercepted a pass against Texas State, then made two solo stops the next week in win over Stephen F. Austin ... also recorded solo tackles at Youngstown State and versus Cal Poly
                Redshirted ... received Scout Special Teams Player of the Week honors leading up to home finale with William Penn (Iowa)
                BEFORE SDSU
                Lettered four times each in football, wrestling and baseball ... three-time all-conference and all-county selection and two-time all-Northwest Region selection for coach Pat Rothbauer in football ... two-time all-conference selection in baseball, and a two-time all-conference performer in wrestling ... in his last two years of football, he rushed 314 times for 2,642 yards, 30 touchdowns, and had 147 tackles with three interceptions ... honor roll student

Comment

Two bits about tickets...there are quite a few on Stub Hub, and they are as low as $8 or $9. So...we shouldn't have any problems there. I don't think I saw anything more than face value...including some pricey ones that I don't think will go for what the seller wants. What do I know, though? I am going to get my tickets there. I loathe Stub Hub, so...I guess they won't get my business.
                  Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

How much fun is it going to be to watch the Jacks in Jack Trice Stadium!

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle....ATCLID=1523641

Comment

I just got my set of tickets ordered.
                      4 tickets on the South Field in Front of Sections AA-EE - First Row off the Grass

There is:

32 Days to Iowa State:

#32 Adam Fritz, SR, 5-11, 195, defensive back, Colman, SD

Adam has lettered as a backup cornerback and special teams player each of the past two seasons and will vie for a starting role in 2008 ... majoring in mechanical engineering

Played in all 11 games ... made first collegiate start and responded with career-high 10 tackles against Northern Iowa ... notched three tackles and recovered a fumble at Youngstown State ... honored as squad’s special teams player of the week for efforts at Georgia Southern

Saw action in 10 games, earning first varsity letter ... tallied career-high three tackles in home victory over William Penn (Iowa) ... recorded two solo tackles, including one for loss of 11 yards, and broke up a pass at Nicholls State (La.) ... also notched tackles in games at Southern Utah and North Dakota State

Played in one game, making lone appearance of season against Cal Poly

Redshirted

BEFORE SDSU
                      Was a Sioux Falls Argus Leader Elite 45 selection and Brookings Register Player of the Year ... first-team all-state running back ... also starred in basketball and track

Comment

SDSU's allotment of tickets go on sale Aug 1.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...ATCLID=1524523

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
                          SDSU's allotment of tickets go on sale Aug 1.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...ATCLID=1524523
                          I've got 6 ordered, Christi Williams called and said season tickets and the Iowa St. tickets should be on their way soon.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I've been over on the Cyclone fan site asking for some advice on what goes on during game day in Ames and they all seem to be very polite and have left a lot of informative posts.

If you are headed to Ames, it is probably worth taking a peak at the thread. The first few pages are the best.

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...su-vs-isu.html

BTW-I predicted a 24-21 Jacks win in a very nice manner! Hey, we sure as the hell aren't headed down there just to tailgate. Let's get the win!

Go Jacks!

SUPERBUNY

Comment

Early line on the game; Pretty surprising

http://www.gamblingiq.com/forum/coll...tball/3086.htm

Comment

I'm not sure if they are giving us respect, or disrespecting Iowa State.
                                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                                X