Spring Practice and Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Practice and Game

Yes, I was impressed with our defensive play. I thought the defensive line has the possibility to dominate and the linebackers moved and read well for spring. Special teams, all the way around is a concern, especially the kickers. Offense is usually behind in spring games and does not have a full package offense installed. Jeske did look good at times, but he is limited in the college game. Berry did have his moments and has confidence. But I thought Jones was heads above them at this level. He plays a DI game. He is bigger than I thought and stand out. Considering that he never ran with the ones, he moved the 2s. The only time Jeske looked good was with the ones. I would like to see what Jones he can do if put with the number ones. He has a canon for an arm and was to strong for some of the 2 and 3 receivers. Crawford unfortunately just does not have it, but played consistent. The team overall looked very good.

Comment

The Spring games to me seem to be a game that coaches use to try to answer questions that they noted in practice, but seem to not put too much intensity into the game in order to prevent injuries and that makes good sense. Coach Stig said on the radio that no more than six starting positions were still up for grabs. So I think they have a few questions, but spring ball has answered a number of them.

I can not recall the young man's name but back a few years, maybe in the early years of Stig era, there was a very good defensive player who transferred in from Western Kentucky. The spring game was on a wet day and this young man got hurt real bad and the injury seem to have finished his career as he never was 100 per cent after that game. For that reason, I dont think Stig would want the real intensity of both offense and defense shown in a spring game. Defense has been the weaker part of the game up until the last two or three years so its good to see its running better than in the past. I am sure some of the youger kids in the secondary will step up. There seems to be speed that we have not had in the past.

Until we play Iowa State I dont think we know what we got. I do hope and pray that we get a better start on this coming season.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 05-01-2008, 08:15 PM.

Comment

New Blog

It looks like the SDSU Collegian has put their own blog... Their site is http://collegiansportsreport.blogspot.com/ while it's not TV it does give another source of info for those who want a different angle. Go Jacks!

Comment

I think the big question will be how the offensive line comes together and how fast the young defensive backs mature.

Comment

I agree 100% with JACKGUYII. Only other thing I would add would be the place kicking game. Coach Meadows will have the O-Line ready for the opener and we have some very skilled athletes in the defensive backfield that will gel together well. I think about 115 days to kick-off......

Go Jacks !!!!!!!!
            http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Working...
            X