Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ndsu

[QUOTE=JBB123;69805]
    Move the chains offending? Im sure the Jackrabbit fans didnt expect the BISON Faithful to reamin quiet in their seats?QUOTE]

I wasn't offended by that. I figured they were just trying help the chain gang since the guys I talked to didn't have much faith in the refs.

Comment

I am not a fan of the national anthem thing either. The worst thing about it in my mind is that I believe it was started by the Sioux. I can't imagine the Bison fans trying to copy something that the Sioux did first.
      I sat near some Bison students on the east side. It started out pretty rough as they were being a bit annoying so I started shaking my cowbell pretty hard (I have blisters) and screaming a lot and added in a slight bit of smarta$$ on my part. By the middle of the game both groups were sharing mutual respect for the game and we had an enjoyable time. I do love this rivalry 2-2 since transition. What's next?
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        The only Bison behavior I had any kind of problem with is the National Anthem thing. When did y'all Bison fans start doing that? I associate that kind of thing with the Siouxsies (or with the K.C. Chiefs fans, whom I heartily despise being a Broncos fan).

All in all though, you NDSU folks are a big, positive upgrade in the rivalry department from our, um, former rivals.
        Oklahoma does it, too. Home of the Sooners. I think it's disrespectful. The National Anthem is a moment before a sporting event to think about something bigger than the event. We ask people to take off their hats, sing along, and think about something other than our sports teams for 90 seconds before a game, and some fans turn it into another contest. Sad.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The best thing about the Bison fans is that our fans got a chance to see just how fans could/should be during a game (with the exception of the National Anthem). Winning more games like this and going 9-2 and 8-3 with playoff games will build this.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
            I am not a fan of the national anthem thing either. The worst thing about it in my mind is that I believe it was started by the Sioux. I can't imagine the Bison fans trying to copy something that the Sioux did first.
            I sat near some Bison students on the east side. It started out pretty rough as they were being a bit annoying so I started shaking my cowbell pretty hard (I have blisters) and screaming a lot and added in a slight bit of smarta$$ on my part. By the middle of the game both groups were sharing mutual respect for the game and we had an enjoyable time. I do love this rivalry 2-2 since transition. What's next?
            I don't know who started it but it has been going on for as long as I have been going to Bison games(12 years).

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
              I don't know who started it but it has been going on for as long as I have been going to Bison games(12 years).
              I dont think because its been going on for 12 years makes this national anthem thing the right and respectful thing to do. Men and women have died on the battlefield so that we can display our flag and play our national anthem at athletic events. To mix in some cheer or shout at the end is just down right disrespectful.

This same logic of wrong things being done over and over does not make them right and often makes them traditionally wrong, and same applys to the logic that UND seems to use in defending the use of the Sioux Logo. Just because they changed from Flickertails to Fighting Sioux in 1932 or thereabouts does not make that right. I can't sight sources, but I been told Sioux is a French word meaning snake, and my guess its one that the French Fur traders brought to the Dakotas long before any Norwegian, Swede or German Russian with a name like Roehl showed. up. No disrespect to Tyler Roehl, but a guy in back of me thought he was a Norskie, I said my guess was German Russian orgins, much like Lawernce Welk. North Dakota has a good representation of that ethnic group.

Furthermore, the traders probably used the term Sioux to put the natives in their place, and should we now be surprised that Standing Rock and Spirit Lake tribes do not approve the logo. I am off topic here, but its a point worth making.

As far as the game, it was a great one for the Jacks, and no doubt a let down for the Bison. I think most Bison fans are no different than Jack fans, they are students, old alums, working stiffs and what have you. Great bunch of people who came with their Green and Gold and made noise and supported their team. SDSU fans should be learning from this experience as this is how we should be backing our football team and it has not happened in the past. I admire NDSU for their following and passion. Most of them are great fun to visit with.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                Was anybody at the 1985 game (the previous attendance record)? If so how did the crowds rank? This crowd looked bigger then 16,345(I'm beginning to wonder if they actually knock down the figure)
                I was at the 1985 game, It seemed similar to me (I was 10 at the time). That year I watch from the north end zone sitting in the grass with a bunch friends. I remember watching the whole game. (Usually by halftime we were playing football in the practice field on East side). I think we had a bigger set of bleachers in the North Endzone that year. I do not believe the stadium had the fence in the south endzone so alot of people were also sitting on the grass hill below the bleacher on that side.

This year, we could have (should have?) fit more in the west grandstand. I was on the east side and the were pockers of empty seats in the grandstand. One failure was the seating for the SDSU band. The Athletic department gave them space for 200 people for their band and had it roped off. As soon as the pride got there McKinney and his crew kickout the students sitting behind their roped off sections, removed the rope and took the whole section.
                We...ARE...STATE!
                SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  I dont think because its been going on for 12 years makes this national anthem thing the right and respectful thing to do. Men and women have died on the battlefield so that we can display our flag and play our national anthem at athletic events. To mix in some cheer or shout at the end is just down right disrespectful.
                  I never said it was the right thing to do, just that it has been going on for as long as I can remember.

Comment

the national anthem thing isnt just college. aberdeen central use to always, and maybe still do it. that was 20 yrs ago i remember them say "eagles" at the end. i never liked it then and still dont like it. but im not going to hate bison fans for that. i chatted with quite a few of them at perkins before tailgating. they had 3/4 of perkins. i felt like i was in fargo. great fans to visit with. no trash talking or bashing. as the one bison fan said to me as we were standing at the urinal in perkins " its great to have a rivalry that isnt a hated one".

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                      I never said it was the right thing to do, just that it has been going on for as long as I can remember.
                      I am sorry that I jumped down your throat, its justs that I get upset with what appears to me to be wrong in the world. Some how this was an easy one to jump on. I look forward to the trips to Fargo for BB and FB next year.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
                        I was at the 1985 game, It seemed similar to me (I was 10 at the time). That year I watch from the north end zone sitting in the grass with a bunch friends. I remember watching the whole game. (Usually by halftime we were playing football in the practice field on East side). I think we had a bigger set of bleachers in the North Endzone that year. I do not believe the stadium had the fence in the south endzone so alot of people were also sitting on the grass hill below the bleacher on that side.

This year, we could have (should have?) fit more in the west grandstand. I was on the east side and the were pockers of empty seats in the grandstand. One failure was the seating for the SDSU band. The Athletic department gave them space for 200 people for their band and had it roped off. As soon as the pride got there McKinney and his crew kickout the students sitting behind their roped off sections, removed the rope and took the whole section.
                        I agree I really think that with the Dykhouse athletic center if possible they should try to build in seating for the band..... I have yet to understand why they sit in reserved seating and they usually take up twice what they need....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          I agree I really think that with the Dykhouse athletic center if possible they should try to build in seating for the band..... I have yet to understand why they sit in reserved seating and they usually take up twice what they need....
                          The Dykhouse Student-Athlete Center is a building, not a grandstand. There will be no seats in the building. It might have combination meeting rooms/luxury boxes on the third floor, but that's about it.

The band stuff is somebody else's problem. From what I could see, they didn't exactly behave according to the script Saturday (arrived late, played over programming on the scoreboard... a no-no...) but that's not our problem here. Plenty of high-level people are involved in those discussions.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            The Dykhouse Student-Athlete Center is a building, not a grandstand. There will be no seats in the building. It might have combination meeting rooms/luxury boxes on the third floor, but that's about it.

The band stuff is somebody else's problem. From what I could see, they didn't exactly behave according to the script Saturday (arrived late, played over programming on the scoreboard... a no-no...) but that's not our problem here. Plenty of high-level people are involved in those discussions.
                            I understand that I just really think the Band needs to be moved to one of the endzones.... I know Yankton High School does it and it works great.....

How close do they plan on having the building to the field?

Comment

It's kinda hard to hear the band when you sitting on the same side as them and you're a hundred yards away.

I'm sure the NDSU crowd enjoyed the Pride!

I'd like to see them in the endzone, where they could project better... perhaps permanent seating under the scoreboard?
                              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Wow. That that was one fun game. Congratulations, Jacks. Very well done. Victory was well deserved. And thank you, Mr. Dykhouse and Mr. Sanford. A new and better era of Jackrabbit football and education has begun.
                                This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                                X