• Show
Clear All

• Re: Southern Utah

NDSU's 80 yard bomb to win:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XO4QBO4iY

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      Gotta say something about the SUU game. Watched every snap from the sideline. When the head linesman through the flag on Aanonsen punt return it totally swang the momentum or we would have won that game by 40. I'm still at a loss to explain what happened. Apparently Parnell held one of their headhunters right off the line during the punt. I'd like to see the replay. The call seemed ridiculous because the punt was to the northwest corner of the field at about the 4 yard line while the flag was thrown on the east side near the 50 yard line. Seemed crazy at the time. Then, it seemed with each additional return we had more flags would fly. I was ready just to take the ball at the 2 yard line every time they kicked. I nearly lost it. There, off my chest.
      I asked Stig about those penalties. He explained:

-- If the penalty is before the punt, the yards are marched off from the line of scrimmage, re-punt (or possibly first down for SUU).

-- If the penalty is while the punt is in the air, the yards are marched off from where SDSU first touches the ball. That's what happened on both of those plays that hurt us.

-- If the penalty happens during the runback, the yards are marched off as if it was a running play, from the spot of the foul.

It must be unusual for holds to be called while the ball is in the air, because I always thought blocking penalties were marked from the spot of the foul on returns. All of the above makes sense, though. I just hadn't thought about all of that.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        I asked Stig about those penalties. He explained:

-- If the penalty is before the punt, the yards are marched off from the line of scrimmage, re-punt (or possibly first down for SUU).

-- If the penalty is while the punt is in the air, the yards are marched off from where SDSU first touches the ball. That's what happened on both of those plays that hurt us.

-- If the penalty happens during the runback, the yards are marched off as if it was a running play, from the spot of the foul.

It must be unusual for holds to be called while the ball is in the air, because I always thought blocking penalties were marked from the spot of the foul on returns. All of the above makes sense, though. I just hadn't thought about all of that.
        I understand the rule and it makes perfect sense, you just don't see it called that often. I suspect Parnell did hold and for that the team was penalized and it hurt. Gotta make sure that doesn't happen this week. Sort of a rough week for officials. At the women's game on Sunday one of the officials called a push on Cal-Riverside while they were making the front end of a 1 on 1. Basket counts and the push is irrelevant except the Jacks get free throws. Sure, its a violation of the rule but its not usually called, if you know what I mean. Moral of the story, the penalties on kick returns really hurt and changed the momentum of the first half. In the end the better team won.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I understand the rule and it makes perfect sense, you just don't see it called that often. I suspect Parnell did hold and for that the team was penalized and it hurt. Gotta make sure that doesn't happen this week. Sort of a rough week for officials. At the women's game on Sunday one of the officials called a push on Cal-Riverside while they were making the front end of a 1 on 1. Basket counts and the push is irrelevant except the Jacks get free throws. Sure, its a violation of the rule but its not usually called, if you know what I mean. Moral of the story, the penalties on kick returns really hurt and changed the momentum of the first half. In the end the better team won.
          I just didn't realize all the subtleties of the rule... probably because, as you said, it rarely happens. On the other one, Cole Brodie was flagged for keeping an SUU player from getting back in bounds... odd, since Cole was standing there just waiting for the guy to get up.

I saw Stig holler a bit at General Parnell after the other play. He said something like "You know the rules. Play by the rules." So General must have held. By the way, he's another nice role player on this team.

I agree, the officiating all weekend seemed a little whistle- and flag-happy.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Sort of a rough week for officials. At the women's game on Sunday one of the officials called a push on Cal-Riverside while they were making the front end of a 1 on 1.
            I have to reiterate this portion of your post. I also noticed this will say it is the first time I've ever seen a foul called on a made free-throw. It was rather ridiculous!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
              I have to reiterate this portion of your post. I also noticed this will say it is the first time I've ever seen a foul called on a made free-throw. It was rather ridiculous!!!
              And how about the football game where both receiver and defender were called for interference... on the same play. That's a unique interpretation of the rules.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                And how about the football game where both receiver and defender were called for interference... on the same play. That's a unique interpretation of the rules.
                I totally forgot about that one. I will admit that officiating is not something I have a strong desire to ever do. I do appreciate their willingness to subject themselves to nearly continuous criticism while rarely receiving any praise or even recognition. I think my family would have left me a long time ago if I were an official.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                  I thought there were a lot of dumb irrelevant calls. If the foul doesn't affect what's going on with the play and it's just a ticky-tack one...LET IT GO!

Comment

I am a SDHSAA certified referee and I completely agree with everything that is being said on this board as to the officiating Saturday afternoon. These guys where clearly, "asleep at the wheel" shall we say. They completely ruined any flow or continuity of this game and as much as I have ever seen, kept the other team in the game.
                    I couldn't believe one of the SUU assistant coaches had the audacity to jump down the referee's(white hat) throat at half-time. There again, the referee made the mistake of even giving him the time of day if it wasn't during timed-play.
                    I will give them this...that was one of the chippiest games I have seen in a very long time and honestly I think that is the way SUU is coached. These games are always the hardest to call. But these guys are not High School referees either. I won't even tell you what they are paid, but let me tell you it's enough, whereas High School is definitely not, but that isn't why I do it. I love watching the kids compete and it kind of puts me back into the action like I was in High School, as pathetic as that may sound.

So as far as High School Referees, cut us a little slack, most of us do this for a good cause.
                    As far as the college ranks go...if it looks like it stinks, believe me, it probably does and go ahead let the explatives fly...just make sure there are no kids around you!! But if you do decide to yell at an offical, make sure you know the rules yourself, or risk looking like a fool.

The best officiating you can do as a referee is, if you "think" it's a foul, it's not, if you "know" it's a foul it probably is, get the game done in a timely manner, work you butt off and try not be noticed.
                    These were not done on Saturday at CAS, in this referee's opinion.

Now letting that little piece of info out regarding myself will require me to REALLY protect my annonimity from now on!!
                    Last edited by propar80; 11-13-2007, 02:16 PM.
                    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                      Now letting that little piece of info out regarding myself will require me to REALLY protect my annonimity from now on!!
                      Hey I will not probe into your identity, but I sure appreciate your prospective of the game. I with you on how officals are often viewed, its a tough job, and the people that do this sort of work, they probably are not paid enough. BTW what affect did the SUU players in your opinion have on some of those calls. I recall seeing Eric Schroeder execute a near perfect waist tackle only to be called for a face mask. Eric's hands were no were near the SUU guy's face, but those SUU guys kept running around after the play was dead making the face call penalty motion. Also I think this crew seemed to ignore a great deal of dead ball activity that was often started by SUU guys such as shoving and pushing etc.

Would love to hear you comments Pro, on those things

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Hey I will not probe into your identity, but I sure appreciate your prospective of the game. I with you on how officals are often viewed, its a tough job, and the people that do this sort of work, they probably are not paid enough. BTW what affect did the SUU players in your opinion have on some of those calls. I recall seeing Eric Schroeder execute a near perfect waist tackle only to be called for a face mask. Eric's hands were no were near the SUU guy's face, but those SUU guys kept running around after the play was dead making the face call penalty motion. Also I think this crew seemed to ignore a great deal of dead ball activity that was often started by SUU guys such as shoving and pushing etc.

Would love to hear you comments Pro, on those things

I noticed that also, and the only thing I can think of is that it was before the tackle. I was pacing the top row of the east bleachers, cleaning all the chipping paint off the seats for our NDSU guests this weekend, so I didn't get a good look.
                        On the other hand, the amount of "guessing" that was going on out there all game, I'm sure the politicing coming from SUU's players and coaches may have helped, that's why they do it. I think they called a 5-yard penalty, which in my opinion is a rule that should've never been created. It doesn't take much of a facemask to get a call from an official, especially a 5- yard penalty.
                        Also, it's one of those calls that bails on official out if they weren't quite sure if is was a facemask. In my first year officiating I called a five yarder and the biggest reason was because the coaches were pandering for it. 1st year mistake, for sure.

Go Jacks!!
                        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                        X