Southern Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Southern Utah

Due to family obigations, I could not attend today, but I will garan-damn-tee you, I will be there next week. It hurt like hell not being there today.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was nervous about this game and as it turned out, it was OK but could have been a disaster. I have a real good feeling about next week. I remember U. coming in several years ago and rated 1 or 2 in the nation and we beat them like a bad habit. That is what is going to happen next week. Go gettum' Jacks!

Comment

One meaningless statistic is that both NDSU and SDSU both scored 52 pts against SUU.
      What might mean more is that SUU scored 17 points against the Bison whereas today they put up 27 against us.

I have never seen a team where they pander to the officals for a a call. The one face mask call against Eric Schroeder was very bogus, as Eric arm tackled the SUU guy around the waist. Eric was no where near this guy's face or his mask. SUU meanwhile continued to indicate to the ref a number times about face mask calls when there were none, but those doppy refs bought this one. Unbelievable.

Next week will be very interesting.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 11-10-2007, 10:54 PM.

Comment

That was one of the most up and down games I've ever been to. To score 16 bang bang bang like we did, and then get absolutely chopped up and be down 27-16 before we knew what hit us was inconcievable.

What a testament to our guys, who never gave up even though it was looking pretty grim there in the 3rd.

I'm not even going to go into the ref'ing or the crowd....all though, for such a little crowd, we were very noisy....something I was impressed with.

On the other side of the ball...what a heartbreaker for SUU....they were just PUMPED for the middle 30 minutes, and talk about not playing like your 0-9...
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

See that ESPN has Cal Poly up 14-3 in the second. Very preliminary to count for anything but what if we clinched a tie for the conference championship in front of 3,000. Shouldn't count those chickens-- sure hope I don't hex anything.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
            According to Stig, Harris will go next week, but Kubesh may have tweaked a hammy, but he didn't know for sure.
            Not for sure, but I heard from a player that the preliminary report is that Kubesh hurt his knee and will not be playing next week.

Comment

Good win, good job guys, gives us a winning season, next week will be intresting.

A win is a win, let us enjoy it and move on to next weeks Championship Game.
              MISSOURI VALLEY NATION
              http://missourivalleyfootball.com

South Dakota State University
              http://gojacks.com

Comment

28-16 Poly with 5 min. left

I'm torn on this one. I like having the conference tie in the bag, but really want that big showdown again next week to avenge last year. At least it would assure a Dakota title again.

Comment

NDSU wins on an 80 yard pass play with 38 seconds left.

Comment

Crowd was small, play was inconsistant, refs were bad (horribly rough day), Back Yard gang stayed home, coaching was really hard to understand (again), opponents was hungry/nasty, wind was blowing, band was gone ... and it was still a lot of fun, if I may say so. Some of the stuff I saw today was mind-boggling. Everybody had a rough day ... both teams, the refs (to be sure), the Jacks' coaches, the fans. Wow. Very strange. What a relief to overcome some poor play, mysterious play-calling/planning, many penalities and the "trap door game" threat for a win.

Kudos to the women's volleyball team ... outright Summit League regular season champs. I saw the man in (the) blue (hat) there. It was a fun match if you bothered to hang around and take it in after the football game.
                    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

I'm excited next week's game is for all the marbles, but ... holy crap, CS-Poly ... honest to God, how can you be in a formation with 40 seconds left that allows a team an 80-yard pass of any sort -- bomb, screen, crossing, drag ... anything? Something was wrong there. I must learn the details.

Originally posted by Jacks99 View Post
                      NDSU wins on an 80 yard pass play with 38 seconds left.
                      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

OK, so I'm post-happy tonight. A couple of observations from another fan's post. I'll number the points with my thoughts below...

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        Just returned from the game. Some random observations:

(This has been edited leaving just the points I'm going to touch on.)

1. We could very easily have lost this game, something that isn't apparent if you just look at the final score. We were one more bad play away from being in a very, very deep hole in the 3rd quarter.

2. We've got a runner that's putting up 250 yards a game recently, so we . . . throw wide receiver screens on first down---into coverage. A lot. Or we run the little sprint draw into the middle of the line. A lot. I think there's room to question the offensive play-calling in the second and third quarters (although, as stated above, we really didn't have the ball much in the second quarter).

3. I sure hope that officiating crew wasn't a Gateway crew. They were really, really bad, missing lots of calls (an obvious push-off on the one SUU interception in the end zone . . . and Wagner pretty obviously stepped out of bounds at the 2 on his long TD reception among others).

4. SDSU is not a football school. It won't be a football school until we string together several 9+ win seasons and a few wins in the NCAA playoffs. Only the hardest hardcore fans will turn out in November to watch .500 football teams. The good news is that there is a hard core of SDSU football fans. Those are the people who were here today.

5. Now, it's time to get ready to win the Summit League volleyball championship in our first season . . .
                        1. Like the fourth and inches we held them on. If we give it up, the day could get long.

2. Couldn't have said it better myself.

3. It was kind of overall horrible refing, but we seemed to take a few more bad calls.

4. I won't go quite so far as to say we need several nine-win season, but we aren't really a football school, it's true. I think that has a lot to do with our going 40-plus years without a conference title. That we haven't had even a share of a conference title in that time is ... sorry, but I think pathetic is the only word. And maybe it says something about our being willing to put up with "better than average" or "pretty good" or, once in awhile, "dang good, but not dominant." Beats me. Maybe the drought ends this year, but I think without a conference title in that long ... well, it's hard to feel like you have a real tradation going. And I think that has a lot to do with fan support when the weather starts to get poor.

Stig had a quote in the Argus earlier this year about the Jacks not having been a dominant team in his 11 years at SDSU. It ... made me think, I guess. It wasn't really a ringing endorsment of ... himself ... and from him. Maybe I'll look for it and post it later this week. **shrug** Don't know what to make of it.

5. Done and done. Excellent season, ladies.

Comment

Are Koch's picks going to make YouTube?

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            Just returned from the game. Some random observations:

The second quarter was very painful to watch. So was most of the third quarter. Perhaps we were just trying to be polite hosts . . . "no, really, here, you can have the ball for the entire second quarter."

We could very easily have lost this game, something that isn't apparent if you just look at the final score. We were one more bad play away from being in a very, very deep hole in the 3rd quarter.

We've got a runner that's putting up 250 yards a game recently, so we . . . throw wide receiver screens on first down---into coverage. A lot. Or we run the little sprint draw into the middle of the line. A lot. I think there's room to question the offensive play-calling in the second and third quarters (although, as stated above, we really didn't have the ball much in the second quarter).

The defense won this game. The offense was a liability today.

I sure hope that officiating crew wasn't a Gateway crew. They were really, really bad, missing lots of calls (an obvious push-off on the one SUU interception in the end zone . . . and Wagner pretty obviously stepped out of bounds at the 2 on his long TD reception among others).

If we play like that against NDSU we're going to get drilled. I don't think we can count on getting seven turnovers from the Bison.

Still, the ongoing personality of our football program is that We Don't Quit. That's not a bad thing.

SDSU is not a football school. It won't be a football school until we string together several 9+ win seasons and a few wins in the NCAA playoffs. Only the hardest hardcore fans will turn out in November to watch .500 football teams. The good news is that there is a hard core of SDSU football fans. Those are the people who were here today.

It will be an upset if we beat NDSU next week. But one thing we know from the past couple of years in football is that ANYTHING is possible once the ball gets kicked off.

Now, it's time to get ready to win the Summit League volleyball championship in our first season . . .
                            Filbert': Your comments are very close to my thoughts. The only extra comment is the fact that the hardcore size went from 6550 for the Cal Poly game to 3350, a drop of approximately 3000. Most avid hunters have to had their opportunities by now, so don't quite know what to make of it. The student section had a number of empty rows too so lots of fingers to be pointed.

I do share the same thoughts of SDSU becoming a football school again, as I can remember when it was back in the 1950's and early 1960's. The teams were winning at least 8 or more, but no playoffs to extend the season. Its too bad that the preception of the program has become so average or below average. I have hope in the teams to come.

I would not trade the coaching discipline that SDSU has for that of SUU. I hope the SUU adminstrators were watching all the dead ball activity that the Thurderbirds were showing. I can imagine its no fun to be 0-10, but at the same time you need to follow all the rules to the final horn of the season. Based on what I saw yesterday, the adminstation at SUU needs to make a coaching change.

Comment

"Most avid hunters have to had their opportunities by now, so don't quite know what to make of it. The student section had a number of empty rows too so lots of fingers to be pointed."

I believe and correct me if I am wrong, but East River Deer season opened this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                                "Most avid hunters have to had their opportunities by now, so don't quite know what to make of it. The student section had a number of empty rows too so lots of fingers to be pointed."

I believe and correct me if I am wrong, but East River Deer season opened this weekend.
                                I'm sorry. You are wrong. East River deer season opens on the 17th. The students had a 3 day weekend so they all head home to have mom do their laundry and to restock the pantries.

Comment

Working...
                                X