Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Central Arkansas

Originally posted by MaxBaer View Post
    I know this is a bad way to think about how things could go down (given the inconsistency in college football these days between games), but . . . .

UCA over Texas State 63-21
    SDSU over Texas State 38-3

. . . definitely says that this could be a very close game.
    I agree that it'll be close. But here are some more irrelevant matchups:

UCA over Nicholls 49-42
    Nicholls over Stephen F. Austin, 17-16
    SDSU over SFA: 45-0

None of that means much, as MaxBaer mentioned.

I'm told that UCA's defense is very athletic, but undisciplined. We'll be able to run, and if UCA is in the wrong gaps, we'll get big plays on the ground. Nobody has really stopped our running game this year.

If UCA stacks the box, we'll surprise them with the skill in our passing game. My source says that one of UCA's corners is the best we've seen this year, but the other isn't very good. No doubt UCA's stud will be on Harris, so Look for lots of balls to Doblar, Steffen, Fox, and Montague with All-American TE Chris Wagner getting plenty of touches, too.

Confidence is always a big factor with effort teams like ours. And we have a very confident team right now.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

No matter the outcome, this should be a great game from start to finish! GO BEARS!!

Comment

Originally posted by joshuca View Post
        No matter the outcome, this should be a great game from start to finish! GO BEARS!!
        Exactly, I'm happy to let the men settle it on the field. That said, if I were a betting man, I'd bet on our men right now.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I have to admit that I'm getting more and more excited about the match up as I have been learning more about UCA. I think this has the makings of a classic.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuca View Post
            We're happy to be able to play quality, out-of-conference opponents like UCA. As I said before, yours is definitely a program on the rise. I expect UCA to very quickly become a SLC power (if you're not already there.)
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
              Originally posted by treyuca View Post
              Like many of you have said already, this game may come down the defensive lines.
              If this holds true, the Jacks will be fine.
              Last season you dominated.
              And we're better this year. Deeper, too.
              This season we're pretty inexperienced as a unit, but when it comes time to make key stops, they've made them.
              But they haven't faced the Jacks' O-line yet.
              Close game, but Jacks take over in Q4.
              And all of those things you said are what worry me.

We were able to move the ball through the air last year, but if we aren't able to run the ball again this year, we're in trouble.

Looking at this game compared to last year, these are the personnel differences:
              We lost 21 seniors from last year's team, most on defense. We return our playmaker at quarterback - one of the best in the country.
              On your defense, just about everyone who played a role last year returns. Your offensive guys that put up the numbers are gone:
              RB (Anthony Watson, 16 carries 89 yards 1 touchdown), QB (Andy Kardoes, 15-23-2 162) and WR (Micah Johnson, 6 catches 98 yards)

And yes, I know that Koenig is back, so the RB position is solid with Minett.

I've rambled on long enough, but there's more than enough reason for UCA fans to be more than nervous about this game.

Comment

From Chris Kelly on the GWFC website

South Dakota State (4-4) at Central Arkansas (5-3)
                When the Bears have the ball: they feature a big-time offense that puts up points in bunches. They come into the game averaging over 37 points and 474 yards per game, 6th nationally. Central Arkansas can run the ball and does so for 167 yards per game at 4.1 per carry, but their bread and butter is the passing attack with quarterback Nathan Brown. Brown has had a monster year and is 6th nationally in pass yards per game at 298. He is completing 68% of his passes and has thrown for 23 touchdowns against just 6 interceptions. Brown’s receivers are deep – he doesn’t have one wide out who has caught more than 30 passes but has six who have greater than twenty. So how does the Jacks defense go about stopping such a talented offense? The strength of their team, the defensive line, has to have a fantastic game. The guys up front, Pontrelli, Shroeder, Batten and Bonwell, need to apply consistent pressure on Brown. It all comes down to this front four pressuring the Bears quarterback and if they can’t the Jacks have to mix up their coverage’s and bring extra guys from all angles. This is a quarterback who has proven he can throw it and dice secondary’s up if given time. He can’t have time, pure and simple. If he does, Central Arkansas will hit their 38 point average.

When the Jacks have the ball: The other answer to beating this Bears offense, outside of the pressuring Brown, is outscoring him. The Jacks definitely have an offense capable of that heading into play averaging 32 point and an ability to run the ball, control the clock, and bully opposing defenses. That starts up front with a veteran offensive line led by All-American Mitch Erickson. The guys in the backfield toting the rock have been impressive as Cory Koenig is averaging 102 per game (5.4 per carry) and Kyle Minnet 44 per game (6.7 per carry). South Dakota State is going to lean on their opponents and hand the ball off every other play. What I talked about last week in this spot is the maturation of Ryan Berry who continues to be that final piece that has made this offense so dangerous. Outside of wide receiver, the only other loss on offense from a very talented 2006 group was Andy Kardoes. His leadership and ability to propel his team to wins was certainly missed in the first couple week. Since then, Berry has been fantastic. Last week he delivered another solid game hitting on 22 of 33 passes for 261 yards and two touchdowns. And most importantly, he once again avoided turning the ball over. If Berry continues to be as consistent as he’s been over the past five games it will be awfully tough for the Bears to stop the Jacks on offense. Another reason Berry has been so comfortable in the pocket is that teams are sacking him just once a game, which ranks among the top 20 in the nation. Central Arkansas has to find a way to get to Berry because in just the same manner Nathan Brown has been successful, it comes down to putting pressure on Berry to slow him. No one has done it recently.

X-Factor: Central Arkansas Front Seven. The Jacks make their living pushing teams around and letting their big physical line blow them off the ball. They average well over 153 at nearly 5 yards per clip. The Bears defense gives up an alarming 5.5 per carry and nearly 200 per game. If this Jacks offense gets their running game clicking on all cylinders, this game will be controlled and won by SDSU. It’s up to the Central Arkansas front seven, led by linebacker James Langcaster, to stack the box, slow Cory Koenig, and force this game into the hands of Ryan Berry. If the Jacks run well, Central Arkansas has to win in a shootout because SDSU is going to score lots of points.

The Bottom Line: This game may not garner a ton of attention for a couple reasons: the teams are a combined 9-7, which isn’t overly impressive. And both school aren’t full fledged FCS programs, eligible for playoff participation. However, don’t let that fool you – this is a very intriguing game between two good teams. The Jacks are the owners of a couple tough losses and could easily be 6-2. Central Arkansas had two early losses and has since gone 5-1 to grab the conference lead in the Southland. Now their two prolific offenses meet to determine a winner. It’s pretty simple – whichever team plays more defense and can force a turnover or two will win this game because I’m not sure either offense can be stopped consistently by the opposing defense. What has to scare the Jacks is how scary this Bear passing offense is when in gear. They can pile up points in bunches. And while that passing game, led by Nathan Brown, can run up and down the field the biggest determining factor in this game will be the SDSU rushing attack. The Jacks will win this game because they can run the ball whenever they want. They’ll use their big offensive line to wear down the front seven of the Bears, control the clock, and keep the ball away from Brown and Co. just enough to squeeze out an impressive road win and catapult them to a national ranking.

South Dakota State 42 Central Arkansas 37
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

This should be an outstanding game between two teams viaing for their respective league titles. Both da Bears and the Jacks have potent offenses, and solid, but not great defenses. Where the Jacks live and die is in the special teams/turnover departments. Where Bears live and die is on the arm and accuracy of QB Brown's arm. A lot less successful running attack than SDSU. So, if the Jacks play even or ahead on turnovers, I have confidence that our special teams weapons will outperform whatever the Bears have.

Plus Bear defense has shown a suspetibility to the run, and the Jacks are a team that WILL exploit that. Overall, Jacks are a bit better in all facets but the passing game, but Jacks balance running/passing makes that pretty even.

IMHO Jacks 44, Bears 31

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                    This should be an outstanding game between two teams viaing for their respective league titles. Both da Bears and the Jacks have potent offenses, and solid, but not great defenses. Where the Jacks live and die is in the special teams/turnover departments. Where Bears live and die is on the arm and accuracy of QB Brown's arm. A lot less successful running attack than SDSU. So, if the Jacks play even or ahead on turnovers, I have confidence that our special teams weapons will outperform whatever the Bears have.

Plus Bear defense has shown a suspetibility to the run, and the Jacks are a team that WILL exploit that. Overall, Jacks are a bit better in all facets but the passing game, but Jacks balance running/passing makes that pretty even.

IMHO Jacks 44, Bears 31
                    Ryan Berry is a very efficient passer, completing more than 65 percent of his passes and rarely making mistakes, particularly in recent games. Our receiving corps is deep (Harris, Doblar, Fox, Montague, Steffen, Wagner). Berry and Harris have connected for long TDs in five (is it five?) straight games. And our possession passing game, with Doblar, Fox, and Wagner, is very good and very safe. We're a better passing team than people might think.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I hate that the HS football playoffs are on at the same time as the Jacks game!

I'm going to be doing alot of flipping on the radio dial.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        Ryan Berry is a very efficient passer, completing more than 65 percent of his passes and rarely making mistakes, particularly in recent games. Our receiving corps is deep (Harris, Doblar, Fox, Montague, Steffen, Wagner). Berry and Harris have connected for long TDs in five (is it five?) straight games. And our possession passing game, with Doblar, Fox, and Wagner, is very good and very safe. We're a better passing team than people might think.
                        Totally agree. We do have a very good passing game, and lots of very capable receivers. Combined with an outstanding rushing game, this is the best offense (and the line gives the time/holes) that we've seen in D-I years. Yes, stack against the run, we burn them on passes. Defend against passes, we'll average 6 yds a run, with several 20-50 yd runs. If we get ahead, we're tough to win against.

Comment

I think we have a good controlled passing game. We had a bomb last week, but if we are forced to go downfield a lot, we could find trouble. I don't think that will be the case, though. I think we'll rely on the big men and the running game. Ryan has been an enigma this year. He'll have very, very solid games, then thorw a horrible, horrible interception. I see him as ... well, solid, not spectacular. No threat to run. Not a big downfield theat, although he's sometimes been hampered by receivers dropping passes. The lines and the running game ... that's how we win. Short passes to mix it up. I believe it happens Saturday, but I belive it's a bit of a shootout: Jacks 31, Bears 27

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                          Totally agree. We do have a very good passing game, and lots of very capable receivers. Combined with an outstanding rushing game, this is the best offense (and the line gives the time/holes) that we've seen in D-I years. Yes, stack against the run, we burn them on passes. Defend against passes, we'll average 6 yds a run, with several 20-50 yd runs. If we get ahead, we're tough to win against.
                          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Good luck this weekend against UCA. Do the GWFC proud in your last OOC game.

Comment

I agree we execute a very good controlled passing game much of the time. Ryan has shown he can throw the long one also. As for the interceptions, when was the last one? Here's his stats as of 10-27 compared to the other leaders in the conference:

PASSING AVG/GAME Team Cl G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds TD Avg/G
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------
                              1. Jonathan Dally...... CP JR 8 143 79 1 55.2 1840 23 230.0
                              2. Berry,Ryan.......... SDSU SO 8 255 152 6 59.6 1693 15 211.6
                              3. Steve Walker........ NDSU SR 8 168 121 7 72.0 1579 15 197.4
                              4. Engle, M............ UCD SR 7 153 93 2 60.8 1178 9 168.3
                              5. MARSHALL, Wes....... SUU JR 8 202 105 10 52.0 1149 4 143.6

Not bad. He's getting better every game. I like his calm presence in the pocket and he does a very solid job of delivering the ball and running the offense. And the fat guys in the o-line are doing a GREAT JOB of protecting.

Those stats didn't come out very readable. Here's the link to the stats for all the conference leaders:
                              http://greatwestfootball.cstv.com/st...tatistics.html

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                              I think we have a good controlled passing game. We had a bomb last week, but if we are forced to go downfield a lot, we could find trouble. I don't think that will be the case, though. I think we'll rely on the big men and the running game. Ryan has been an enigma this year. He'll have very, very solid games, then thorw a horrible, horrible interception. I see him as ... well, solid, not spectacular. No threat to run. Not a big downfield theat, although he's sometimes been hampered by receivers dropping passes. The lines and the running game ... that's how we win. Short passes to mix it up. I believe it happens Saturday, but I belive it's a bit of a shootout: Jacks 31, Bears 27
                              Last edited by oldalum; 11-02-2007, 08:05 PM. Reason: insert link

Comment

There is a nice article with the UCA perspective on the UCA web site:

http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?a...1&article=2171

I think this link was posted at the beginning of this thread some time ago but it is worth re-reading on game day.
                                Last edited by West-River_Jack; 11-03-2007, 11:26 AM. Reason: correcting . . .
                                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Working...
                                X