Attendance This Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attendance This Saturday

I want to start out by thanking the other 6500 fans who attended the game last night. We weren't many but we were a vocal crowd and again thanks.

Now to the other 4-6000 fans who didn't show up you missed a great game. Hopefully you'll cherish the memories of whatever else you chose to do yesterday. I know the sights/sounds/thoughts/memories of this game will be with me for a long time(kind of dorky but thats the way I feel about SDSU). Some people question a players heart or commitment to a team but what about a fans commitment to the team/school. Don't the students who played their hearts out last night deserve better than this.

Done with the rant....

I will end on a positive note. Only a few years ago, who would have thought we would be upset with only 6500 at a game. We are building a larger fan base, guess I just want to see it build a little quicker.

Comment

I by nature am an optimist. Let's look at the positives. 2 years ago we wouldn't have got 5000 in the stands for the first home game after Hobo Day. We have 47,647 in attendance for 4 home games this season for an average of 11,912. If we get 12,353 in 2 games we will average over 10,000 for the first time in school history. If we get 18,353 in the last 2 games we will average over 11,000 fans per game. That would be 5000 for the S. Utah game and 13,500 for the NDSU game. Last season we had 38,608 fans in four games. We beat that figure in just 3 games this season. The moral of the story we are heading in the right direction. I was at the game last night. The fans there were the hard cores like myself. We were into the game and it was a fun environment. Great game. Let's look at ourself. We are the die-hard fans and alums. What have we done to get the average fan to the game? There were plenty of season ticket holders who did not show. Why not give that ticket to someone who would not normally come to a game. We need to continue to build interest. We play Cal Poly at home again next season the same day as the Pheasant opener. That will be a good bell weather game to see where attendance is at next season. I am dissapointed about the attendance. Coming into the season I thought we could break 10,000 with this game, but it didn't happen. So let's dig in, quit complaining and do our part to help where we can. Go Jacks!!!!
      Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

I'm with you Gateway. We had a major extra promotion on for Beef Bowl (donors for scholarships invited, along with parents of the athletes) besides the usual Beef Bowl activities and it is always the largest attendance along with Hobo Day. Last year, we had 7000 fans for the UC-Davis game in Sioux Falls. It was well promoted, was an unusual occasion (playing in SF) and it WASN'T hunting season opener.

I'm disappointed with 6500, and personally thought it would be at least 7,000-8,000, but definitely didn't expect any larger than that.

But I also agree with SiouxFallsJack...it was an active crowd, and the diehards were there, and we are the ones who benefited from an outstanding game. I'll reiterate: I wish we had more of a football culture here...and I still don't understand where the students are...but we are on the move and I think it will continue to grow. We can all help out by working to get new faces there. GO JACKS!!!

Comment

maybe just maybe SDSU should try to avoid playing home games on pheasant opener.... I know that SDSU isn't going to just give away a home game but maybe there is a way to work in there bye that week into the future.... lets be honest I hate to say it but a Saturday in October is going to keep enough people away just because of harvest and wheat planting put in pheasant opener and you are going to loose a lot more......

Comment

Joeboo has the same thought I do. Why do we play games on the third weekend of October?

You also have to remember that we are an Ag School. Farmers and pheasant hunting go hand in hand. This is a huge weekend for the economy of South Dakota and the many small towns a large number of our alumni base comes from. Many people go home to earn extra money or help the old out-of-state pay hunters by walking for them so they can block. I orgininally was going to go to Huron and I told my dad last month that I wasn't spending the night because I wanted to go to the game. That fell through and I still couldn't make. I wasn't at the game because my 18 month old has pneumonia (I know a horrible excuse to some of you).

I spent the whole night wishing I was at the game, but had to settle for listening to it in the garage while frying last summer's walleye.

You have to keep the big picture in perspective. I am not missing either of the last two home games and I have even gotten the missus to change the time of the my daughter's 4th birthday party because I told her I wouldn't be there if it was the afternoon of the 17th.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
              I'm with you Gateway. We had a major extra promotion on for Beef Bowl (donors for scholarships invited, along with parents of the athletes) besides the usual Beef Bowl activities and it is always the largest attendance along with Hobo Day. Last year, we had 7000 fans for the UC-Davis game in Sioux Falls. It was well promoted, was an unusual occasion (playing in SF) and it WASN'T hunting season opener.

I'm disappointed with 6500, and personally thought it would be at least 7,000-8,000, but definitely didn't expect any larger than that.

But I also agree with SiouxFallsJack...it was an active crowd, and the diehards were there, and we are the ones who benefited from an outstanding game. I'll reiterate: I wish we had more of a football culture here...and I still don't understand where the students are...but we are on the move and I think it will continue to grow. We can all help out by working to get new faces there. GO JACKS!!!
              I don't understand the students, either. If you're going to attend a university, you'd think that participating in events and creating a greater connection to the place would be an important part of the experience. Otherwise, you might as well take your classes at University Center.

I would think that involvement in campus events could be a factor in improving retention. We're already 80 percent, but the President wants 90 percent. Maybe there should be an effort to involve students as fans of athletics to make their connection to this place stronger and more lasting.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Speaking personally, I would have been there if it were an afternoon game. I understand a certain amount of people would have been hunting instead, but these evening games are hard to make sometimes. I don't see my girlfriend as much as she'd like, so Saturday night is when we do stuff she wants to do. I think attendance will improve as the SDSU community learns to accept that we've got a good football program also. Being 2-4 ahead of the game doesn't help, even though those of us that follow it closely know this is a good team, it often comes down to wins/losses and playoff possibilities for more casual fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatewayrabbit View Post
                  I by nature am an optimist. Let's look at the positives. 2 years ago we wouldn't have got 5000 in the stands for the first home game after Hobo Day. We have 47,647 in attendance for 4 home games this season for an average of 11,912. If we get 12,353 in 2 games we will average over 10,000 for the first time in school history. If we get 18,353 in the last 2 games we will average over 11,000 fans per game. That would be 5000 for the S. Utah game and 13,500 for the NDSU game. Last season we had 38,608 fans in four games. We beat that figure in just 3 games this season. The moral of the story we are heading in the right direction. I was at the game last night. The fans there were the hard cores like myself. We were into the game and it was a fun environment. Great game. Let's look at ourself. We are the die-hard fans and alums. What have we done to get the average fan to the game? There were plenty of season ticket holders who did not show. Why not give that ticket to someone who would not normally come to a game. We need to continue to build interest. We play Cal Poly at home again next season the same day as the Pheasant opener. That will be a good bell weather game to see where attendance is at next season. I am dissapointed about the attendance. Coming into the season I thought we could break 10,000 with this game, but it didn't happen. So let's dig in, quit complaining and do our part to help where we can. Go Jacks!!!!
                  That's helpful, Gateway. I'm still annoyed, but those goals are very attainable. I hope there'll be a full-on effort to boost attendance for NDSU so we're not outnumbered by the fans of the "little guys in green."
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                    Great game by our Jackrabbits!

Awful showing by our fans...NDSU gets 28,000 to the Metrodome for an away game and SDSU gets 6,500 at home for the first conference game...that display tonight for our team was an absolute joke.
                    Students should be embarrassed, Alumni should be embarrassed and until the SDSU fan decides to get this figured out and get off our ass, any SD recruit that decides to attend NDSU over SDSU I won't blame one bit.
                    Can you tell I'm pissed???Good...get your asses to the next game. We as fans F#$Ked our players over for a bunch of birds on the nicest day of the fall. We all should be embarrassed and probably should write an apology editorial to our players. If I were Dr. Oien I would suspend any work on the North end-zone building until SDSU football fans decide to average more than 10K per year, I know he won't, but I wouldn't blame him one bit if he did!

Well, I'm tired and have been outside TAILGATING all day and watched a great football game which about 10K other SDSU fans missed, so I'm off to bed.

Let the excuses begin...

Go Jacks....You deserve better.
                    Its not just about shooting birds, its a family tradition for alot of people and one of the few times during the year that relatives from all over get together for a weekend and do something together.

If you didn't grow up doing it I can understand why you don't get what its all about and would think a football game is more important. But if I have to make a choice between getting together with my father, uncles, cousins, and friends for a weekend back home or going to one of 6 home football games I think its a pretty easy choice to make.

Yeah it sucks not getting to see a good game with a great opponent in Cal Poly. I caught some flack from family when I went upstairs to the computer every 15 minutes to check on the game. If it makes you feel any better the athletic department still got $10 from me for the all-access video, even though the audio didn't work

So yes, 6500 fans for the home game is pretty weak but don't call us out because we are skipping it to shoot a few birds, because it goes alot further than that. I shot 1 pheasant all weekend, and could care less if I wouldn't have gotten any because I had a blast seeing everyone again and enjoying the outdoors with my family.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                      Its not just about shooting birds, its a family tradition for alot of people and one of the few times during the year that relatives from all over get together for a weekend and do something together.

If you didn't grow up doing it I can understand why you don't get what its all about and would think a football game is more important. But if I have to make a choice between getting together with my father, uncles, cousins, and friends for a weekend back home or going to one of 6 home football games I think its a pretty easy choice to make.

Yeah it sucks not getting to see a good game with a great opponent in Cal Poly. I caught some flack from family when I went upstairs to the computer every 15 minutes to check on the game. If it makes you feel any better the athletic department still got $10 from me for the all-access video, even though the audio didn't work

So yes, 6500 fans for the home game is pretty weak but don't call us out because we are skipping it to shoot a few birds, because it goes alot further than that. I shot 1 pheasant all weekend, and could care less if I wouldn't have gotten any because I had a blast seeing everyone again and enjoying the outdoors with my family.
                      I'm more disappointed in the students and local fans. I'm sure pheasant opener was a factor. But there's something in our fan culture that says the season is over after Hobo Day (pheasant opener or no). Maybe it goes back to some of the lean years when we weren't in the running for anything by that time.

But the games have become bigger and more enjoyable events. Our team and our opponents are more exciting to watch. So it's that Hobo Day culture that has to change. We can't do anything about pheasant opener.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I am guessing that Hobo Day will not be as early in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

I think its great when family can get together at times like the pheasant opener. I know there are a lot of folks out there saying, "I would have loved to go to the game, but its a family weekend." Why not make a Jacks game part of the family tradition? I would bet that if you can talk 5 of your relatives into attending a Jacks football game after the evening festivities, they might want to do it again next year.

Another thought. Why not show the opening pheasant game on TV every year, no matter what the cost? Thanksgiving is one of the biggest family holidays (even bigger than opening pheasant) and many families gather around the TV every year to watch football. Imagine having the Pheasant opener becoming synonomous with an SDSU football game? That would be great.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            I think its great when family can get together at times like the pheasant opener. I know there are a lot of folks out there saying, "I would have loved to go to the game, but its a family weekend." Why not make a Jacks game part of the family tradition? I would bet that if you can talk 5 of your relatives into attending a Jacks football game after the evening festivities, they might want to do it again next year.

Another thought. Why not show the opening pheasant game on TV every year, no matter what the cost? Thanksgiving is one of the biggest family holidays (even bigger than opening pheasant) and many families gather around the TV every year to watch football. Imagine having the Pheasant opener becoming synonomous with an SDSU football game? That would be great.

My family lives 250 miles from Brookings and I am one of 2 alum's from SDSU in my entire family. Good idea, and one that I would enjoy, but not likely to happen.

Comment

As much as we all seem to go around and around blaming pheasant hunting, and what have you, the truth is probably the hard core fan base may still be coming up short. I guess what I am trying to say it might be overestimated based on the turn out for the cereral bowl and the beef bowl and having Hobo Day too early.

When I started driving 250 miles to Brookings for home games in 1986, 5 or 6k was big and the last home game with snow or cold weather drew maybe 2k at best. The interest in football at SDSU to me seems to be measured by wins. Win the games and everyone gets excited. The Ranek years were fun years because of the running ability of Josh who never quit. Also SDSU was 8-3 one of those years. There have been other 7-4 seasons where close games entered the picture. I can think of 1988, with a close loss in both Grand Forks and Vermillion. Had both those games been wins, SDSU is 9-2 and off to the playoffs and the interest starts to grow. That did not happen and well here we are 7-4 again, and no new fans. I felt bad for the players on that team too. Also good old Wayne Haensel.

Corey Koenig is some what on that order of Ranek, and the young ones Minnett and Monke are going to be on this same time of players. They all seem to have their heart in the game.

I think every home game no matter the date for now needs some kind of promotion. Even if its just a bunch of old Shriner guys giving away free tickets, we need more butts in the seat. I dont fault the suggestions of those about working family and pheasent season into attending football games, every suggestion and every effort is worth the effort.

Maybe 6545 is the total of true blue fans at the current time.

Getting local business more involved might help get more employees to the game.

Saturday Dakotonics sponsored the game and gave out hankies with Go Blue on them. Maybe they should have used that money to buy tickets for their employees, the non football kind. I do realize that Dakt is big in supporting SDSU and the relationship is great.

I still have not seen on this board why the stats on rushing and passing were missing during the game. I had wondered if with the rain, moisture had seeped into the complex of the board and they were fearful of firing it up. Perhaps they are waiting on some replacement parts or something. Who knows? I dont.

Students, are going to be students. Even when they dish out student activity fees, they may often not feel the urge to show up. They should but they don't, and thats been a chronic problem for some time. The enrollement was 4200 the last year I was on campus and I doubt half of them showed up back then. I can recall the student section being partially empty.

I think we have a ways to go in building a real solid fan base of 15,000. Maybe three consective seasons of 8 or more wins will make that happen.

Comment

I would love the idea of televising a couple of games, especially the pheasant opener game. It could become a classic tradition. Hunting with the cousins and uncles at noon, head back to uncle Al's farm for a little whiskey in your glass, cleaning birds and hovering around a small TV in the machine shed watching the kickoff of the Jacks game. If my family was centered just a little bit closer to Brookings I'd say clean up a spec and drive down for an evening game, but that wouldn't quite work.

But one thing we found out quickly with the new conference affiliation(s) is that much of that type of local television goes right out the window. Not that I'm complaining. I'm very happy that the Rabbits have found meaningful conferences where they can start to build some new traditions.
                                The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Working...
                                X