Georgia Southern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Georgia Southern

The physical errors are always going to happen, but the mental mistakes can be prevented. We need to get into the game early and not have to play from behind.

Comment

Originally posted by GSUisYourDad View Post
      In all seriousness, it was indeed a great game that could've gone either way. But in truth, we (GSU) are not that good of a team. We aren't going anywhere this year.
      We'll lose another 3 games at least. We still have Citadel, app state, wofford, furman, and I-A Colorado State to play. And quite frankly our defense, while they continue to incrementaly improve, they remain one of the worst GSU defenses that I've ever seen at Georgia Southern. (My connection to Georgia Southern dates back to 1992.)
      I had predicted 6-5 for this team, but now I think 7-4. I think Superman, with the #4 on his chest, has 7 wins in his legs. (I think we'll get beat by Citadel, App,and Colo St.)
      Having said that, I am optimistic. I am stoked at the development of the Hatch Attack thus far. Anyone who would be pissed at 7-4 this year is clueless. GSU will need some help, and some personal luck to make the field of 16 this year.
      Props to SDSU.......opie, out.

www.opiegsu.blogspot.com
      I feel like I understand what you are saying now. Also WNAX mentioned the coaching changes at GSU and I was somewhat familiar with them, and wow its affected a program very much. From the D2football, board, I learned a great deal about your current coach Hatcher. I understand also that he is only 34 years old so I guess he will probably get your program turned around. At the same token, I agree that the GSU team we played yesterday was not the same one that we played in 2004 or in Brookings the following year.
      SDSU certainly had their chances, but you can not give up turnovers and expect to win the game. There are so many ways of looking at this game and so many people did make a difference and others could have made of difference. So the game was not won or lost on Parker Douglass's missed FG.

Parker's missed fg hurt, but we have be very gratitful for the 13 straight that he made prior to this one miscue. He has kept us in the game with his foot, and he has made tackles on kick offs. Thats something the place kicker should not have to do.

Its a loss that hurts, but if we can correct 10 things from yesterdays game, we will be just the that much better of a football team.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
        The physical errors are always going to happen, but the mental mistakes can be prevented. We need to get into the game early and not have to play from behind.
        So, what is it about the game that mentally the team wasn't in to early? It was physical errors that stopped the offense and the defense made an adjustment after the first drive and shut down their O.

Don't take this as a personal attack, I respect your opinion, but I would like to know what you think needs to be changed?
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
          So, what is it about the game that mentally the team wasn't in to early? It was physical errors that stopped the offense and the defense made an adjustment after the first drive and shut down their O.

Don't take this as a personal attack, I respect your opinion, but I would like to know what you think needs to be changed?
          I was just agreeing with what JackJD had just stated. The mistakes we made can be remedied. I was not being specific about any play or plays. Although, I still will say we need to prevent from getting behind early in games. It is so hard to fight back and have a close game at the end. Not unlike BB when you make a run when you are down, when you finally catch up, you are so gassed and simply don't have the energy to put the opponent away. BTW, no offense taken.

Comment

Here is a video from Bulloch Headline News with highlights from the game and some player and coach post-game interviews.

http://www.bullochheadlinenews.com/i...=527&Itemid=40

Comment

None of that has anything to do with how often we have shown up for games unprepared to play the past two seasons, how often we have to try digging out of big holes. There is no excuse for that. And, as others have mentioned, the silly mistakes (roughing the punter, 12 men on the field, late hits and personal fouls of all varieties) continue. They have been a regular problem in recent years, not just this season. Shoring up those to things would go a long way in getting me to believe we're heading in the right direction.

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              It's fair to mention that our coaches have put together a very competitive team with one hand tied behind their backs. We're short on coaches (how many top teams in FCS have a Head Coach who is also a position coach by necessity and not by choice?) Our facilities aren't there yet (the north end zone building will make a huge difference... but it's not built yet.) This is our first year with 63 scholarships, meaning we're still undermanned... (as Stig has said, it takes a few years at the max to really create the depth you need.)

What I see is a program that reflects the good character of its coaches, but is still just a few plays or players short of being a nationally competitive team. Look at the trends, and they're all going in the right direction. Put the right pieces in place, and we'll be a top-25 program every year.
              Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                None of that has anything to do with how often we have shown up for games unprepared to play the past two seasons, how often we have to try digging out of big holes. There is no excuse for that. And, as others have mentioned, the silly mistakes (roughing the punter, 12 men on the field, late hits and personal fouls of all varieties) continue. They have been a regular problem in recent years, not just this season. Shoring up those to things would go a long way in getting me to believe we're heading in the right direction.
                I'd beg to differ on that. We have coaches putting in 100 hours each week. Maybe if, like other teams, we had a couple more coaches putting in 100 hours, some of those details would be taken care of. And, if we had what we need as far as facilities, we might be able to recruit those four or five more playmakers we need to be a top FCS team.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Whining about how many coaches we have is a bunch of B.S. We still have the same number of guys on the roster as we've had in the past. There are still 11 starters on defense, 11 starters on offense and 11 guys on each special teams. Moving up a level didn't change the game that's being played. Mental errors are about preparation, whether you have 5 coaches or 15 coaches, someone still has to get the team ready. Anyone who says we're not winning games because we're short staffed is just looking for excuses. Where are they going to come up with the extra money to pay teh coaches?? Has anyone thought of that. How 'bout we take it out of scholarships. Here's the deal, Fred could go to Stig and say look, you can have 63 scholarships OR you can have one more coach on staff, which do you prefer. I'm gonna guess he goes with the scholarships. Why? Because it gives him more ability to get quailty players.

Our team has shown it has the talent to succeed. Have you seen our D-Line play? Nothing an extra coach would contribute to. Skill players on offense. Pretty damn good bunch. Nothing to do with an extra coach not being there. Plenty of people know my feelings on what's taken place with the program over the past 11 seasons, so I won't reiterate. Let's just say it's not the NUMBER of coaches on staff.
                  I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
                    I don't think we deserved to win, but how many times is a team going to get 2 candy hop fumbles for touchdowns? I think GSU should thank the good lord before they go to bed tonight.
                    Don't forget the poor pass from Foster that was intercepted and returned for a touchdown. It seemed as if noone on the offense even tried to make the tackle. Also don't forget about Foster's fumble deep inside your end that your offense converted into a TD. I would say that evened our defensive scores.
                    This is just my uneducated opinion, but the interception of your QB was not really a bad read. In fact, I think it was the right read but he delivered the ball too late. It gave our defender just enough time to make a play. Several of us noticed the holder fumbling the placement. This might have been the reason the kick was missed.

All in all, what a game! Good plays and bad plays from both sides but both teams kept playing hard. That's all we can ask, isn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                      Whining about how many coaches we have is a bunch of B.S. We still have the same number of guys on the roster as we've had in the past. There are still 11 starters on defense, 11 starters on offense and 11 guys on each special teams. Moving up a level didn't change the game that's being played. Mental errors are about preparation, whether you have 5 coaches or 15 coaches, someone still has to get the team ready. Anyone who says we're not winning games because we're short staffed is just looking for excuses. Where are they going to come up with the extra money to pay teh coaches?? Has anyone thought of that. How 'bout we take it out of scholarships. Here's the deal, Fred could go to Stig and say look, you can have 63 scholarships OR you can have one more coach on staff, which do you prefer. I'm gonna guess he goes with the scholarships. Why? Because it gives him more ability to get quailty players.

Our team has shown it has the talent to succeed. Have you seen our D-Line play? Nothing an extra coach would contribute to. Skill players on offense. Pretty damn good bunch. Nothing to do with an extra coach not being there. Plenty of people know my feelings on what's taken place with the program over the past 11 seasons, so I won't reiterate. Let's just say it's not the NUMBER of coaches on staff.
                      If you had been in Youngstown, as I was this year, you'd have a much better idea of what's missing from our program. which was all I was pointing out. You don't get to be UNI with facilities that more closely resemble Chadron State. And you don't get to routinely beat nationally-ranked programs in the first year you've had 63 scholarships. And, if you're playing against a team with 11 full-time coaches, and you have 7, there's a good chance that their players are better prepared than yours are.
                      Last edited by JimmyJack; 10-07-2007, 07:23 PM.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                        Ok, I'll ask you the same as I asked earlier, define "Unprepared to play" in this case. Its real easy to throw darts, back up your claim.
                        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                          I usually agree with most thing you say regarding football, particularly since you are a former player, but I have to disagree with you on this issue. For instance, Coach Stig is the special teams coach as well as the head coach. I mean really, how many big time college programs have the head coach coaching special teams? SDSU has 7 coaches, I know that may be more than what we had in D-2, but really I know of high school programs in the Bay Area that have more than 7 coaches. Take De La Salle High School for instance, they have 13 coaches on staff for football. DLS has won many national titles and recently had a winning streak of over 100 straight victories. I'm sure that if Stig was offered more coaches, he would take it in a heart beat.

Now we also have to be realistic, because everything costs money. We are still in transition and just got to 63 scholarships. I agree that getting to 63 scholarships is more important than adding coaches, but I think adding coaches is the next thing that needs to be upgraded. The last thing will be the facility upgrades. To me, Coach Stig gets a free pass for a few more years because he does not have a full deck of cards to play with at this time. I still think the program is on track for being successful but we still have a ways to go in adding coaches and upgrading the facilities. We all need to take a deep breath and wait a few more years before we can really judge the program.

Go State!!!
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                            To me, Coach Stig gets a free pass for a few more years because he does not have a full deck of cards to play with at this time. I still think the program is on track for being successful but we still have a ways to go in adding coaches and upgrading the facilities. We all need to take a deep breath and wait a few more years before we can really judge the program.

Go State!!!
                            Couldn't have said it better NorCal...exactly what I was thinking when I read all the posts on this subject. I don't know if the head coach is the right coach or not to get us to the top tier, but I do know we have added some quality coaches in recent years, and I think that shows in the level we are playing at now. I see strong talent coming up the line among our young recruits. When we have had a chance to settle in, we can all start the second guessing on coaches.

Right now they get a free pass from me for the next couple of years. We are still not on par with the top 25 teams in terms of years of experience at that level, four full years of full scholarships, upgraded facilities and increases in the coaching staff. That's not an excuse...it's just plain FACT. All contribute to the level of success.

Comment

I turned my computer off approx 5 mins after the game on Saturday and didn't look at anything related to the game until this morning in an attempt to let the game settle and be able to think rationally about it. My thoughts on the game:

The first half: I don't think us getting down big really had much to do with being prepared or not being prepared for the game. Granted, our Defense came out and were instantly put back on their heals. That sort of thing happens. Up until this week, we've yet to play a team that relied on the run like GSU. All of the team's we've faced primarily relied on the short passing attack complimented by the running game. GSU came out and just started pounding. You hope we come out and stop them, but it turns out we needed a quarter to catch our breath and get ready for that style of play defensively. (I think our play defensively in the second half and our ability to shut down Foster after the first quarter showed we were well prepared against their gameplan.) The rest of the first half was more of a result of the turnovers than any sort of lack of preparation. The only thing I questioned about any of the fumbles was our play calling on the second fumble. I would have liked them to just bang the run out of a power formation instead of the cutesy motion out of the shotgun formation, but it's hard to blame the fumble on that. Aside from that, there aren't going to be many teams who aren't going to be down big at the half after giving up 2 defensive scores and an opening 94 yard drive.

The second half: If you're going to talk preparation or coaching, this is the half to talk about. Think back to a couple seasons ago. UC Davis - our first FCS game. GSU - our first real FCS pernenial powerhouse opponent. Both of those games we were hit right in the chin in the first round of the boxing match and essentially only hung on for the eventual TKO in the 4th. We were destroyed in both games and never really had any life. Fast forward to Saturday's game. We had every reason to cash it in for that game. I half-expected it to happen. One of those "it's not meant to be" type games. Twice in the third quarter I proclaimed to my oldest daughter that I would "turn off the computer after this play" only to have the Jacks make the play they needed to and end up turning the game around. Those sort of plays show coaching more than any lack of preparation claims regarding the start of the game. I think our team showed more heart in yesterday's game than any other game I can remember. We had a lot of comeback wins last year, but none where we went into the half with the feeling of "I just hope we can keep it respectible" like Saturday's game. There are a lot of teams that would have mailed it in that second half. Coaching wasn't the only reason we didn't, but it sure played a big part.

Now, it's not to say I didn't have my questions from the game. If you look at my posts during the game, I question alot of their decisions, especially with the offensive play calling. Specifically, I think this team can run on anyone. We showed it in the 4th quarter against GSU. We lined up with in a power formation and Koenig chewed up big yardage. I think we need to do that more often with some passes to Wagner sprinkled in out of the same formation to keep everyone honest. Nothing better than a good 10 yard pass to the TE to open up the running game.

However, our play calling in the second half clearly showed our coaches had gone in at half-time, assessed the defense GSU threw at us in the first half, made the necessary corrections and game out with a game plan reflective of those changes. That sort of thing has not exactly been a big part of SDSU football up until the last couple of years. Yesterday's second half was a testiment to Coach Stig's mantra that his teams never quit. It's cliche and only serves to put a band-aid on the open wound of the loss, but it sure beats getting embarrassed by 30 points (which could just as easily have happened).

Now we just need to cut down on the penalties. Penalties are a product of poor mental control. Our players need to be sharper in that aspect. Turnovers are part of the game. You only hope to limit them. Penalties are a part that is easily controlled. You can either choose to not remember to cover up the Tackle on the formation or not. You can choose to hold that guy or not. You can choose to put yourself into a position to get blocked into the punter or not. Those sort of mistakes are on the players and are mental mistakes. Cut down on those penalties and we have one of the best teams in the nation on our hands. I truly believe that. So much that I am seriously contemplating making a cannonball-run back to SD (leave for Brookings Friday after work, return late Sat night/early Sun Morn) this weekend to catch the game because I think we're going to put the smack down on Cal Poly.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                                I turned my computer off approx 5 mins after the game on Saturday and didn't look at anything related to the game until this morning in an attempt to let the game settle and be able to think rationally about it. My thoughts on the game:

The first half: I don't think us getting down big really had much to do with being prepared or not being prepared for the game. Granted, our Defense came out and were instantly put back on their heals. That sort of thing happens. Up until this week, we've yet to play a team that relied on the run like GSU. All of the team's we've faced primarily relied on the short passing attack complimented by the running game. GSU came out and just started pounding. You hope we come out and stop them, but it turns out we needed a quarter to catch our breath and get ready for that style of play defensively. (I think our play defensively in the second half and our ability to shut down Foster after the first quarter showed we were well prepared against their gameplan.) The rest of the first half was more of a result of the turnovers than any sort of lack of preparation. The only thing I questioned about any of the fumbles was our play calling on the second fumble. I would have liked them to just bang the run out of a power formation instead of the cutesy motion out of the shotgun formation, but it's hard to blame the fumble on that. Aside from that, there aren't going to be many teams who aren't going to be down big at the half after giving up 2 defensive scores and an opening 94 yard drive.

The second half: If you're going to talk preparation or coaching, this is the half to talk about. Think back to a couple seasons ago. UC Davis - our first FCS game. GSU - our first real FCS pernenial powerhouse opponent. Both of those games we were hit right in the chin in the first round of the boxing match and essentially only hung on for the eventual TKO in the 4th. We were destroyed in both games and never really had any life. Fast forward to Saturday's game. We had every reason to cash it in for that game. I half-expected it to happen. One of those "it's not meant to be" type games. Twice in the third quarter I proclaimed to my oldest daughter that I would "turn off the computer after this play" only to have the Jacks make the play they needed to and end up turning the game around. Those sort of plays show coaching more than any lack of preparation claims regarding the start of the game. I think our team showed more heart in yesterday's game than any other game I can remember. We had a lot of comeback wins last year, but none where we went into the half with the feeling of "I just hope we can keep it respectible" like Saturday's game. There are a lot of teams that would have mailed it in that second half. Coaching wasn't the only reason we didn't, but it sure played a big part.

Now, it's not to say I didn't have my questions from the game. If you look at my posts during the game, I question alot of their decisions, especially with the offensive play calling. Specifically, I think this team can run on anyone. We showed it in the 4th quarter against GSU. We lined up with in a power formation and Koenig chewed up big yardage. I think we need to do that more often with some passes to Wagner sprinkled in out of the same formation to keep everyone honest. Nothing better than a good 10 yard pass to the TE to open up the running game.

However, our play calling in the second half clearly showed our coaches had gone in at half-time, assessed the defense GSU threw at us in the first half, made the necessary corrections and game out with a game plan reflective of those changes. That sort of thing has not exactly been a big part of SDSU football up until the last couple of years. Yesterday's second half was a testiment to Coach Stig's mantra that his teams never quit. It's cliche and only serves to put a band-aid on the open wound of the loss, but it sure beats getting embarrassed by 30 points (which could just as easily have happened).

Now we just need to cut down on the penalties. Penalties are a product of poor mental control. Our players need to be sharper in that aspect. Turnovers are part of the game. You only hope to limit them. Penalties are a part that is easily controlled. You can either choose to not remember to cover up the Tackle on the formation or not. You can choose to hold that guy or not. You can choose to put yourself into a position to get blocked into the punter or not. Those sort of mistakes are on the players and are mental mistakes. Cut down on those penalties and we have one of the best teams in the nation on our hands. I truly believe that. So much that I am seriously contemplating making a cannonball-run back to SD (leave for Brookings Friday after work, return late Sat night/early Sun Morn) this weekend to catch the game because I think we're going to put the smack down on Cal Poly.

Great Post, Great Analysis MJA! But save the trip for two weekends, the Jacks have this one off and then they will be laying the smack on Poly.
                                I wouldn't want you to show up and have no-one to tailgate with, but if you do, I know you know people in SF and B-Town that would come out and have a cold one with ya, game or no game!!

Go Jacks!!
                                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                                X