Uni

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Uni

It looks like UNI is the best D1 football team in Iowa. UNI beat Iowa State in Ames, and Iowa State beat the Hawkeyes this weekend.

I would say UNI is a good team and no shame in losing to them. We do need to recruit some d-backs.

Here's hopign the Jacks can start to turn things around next week with Texas State.

Comment

The transfer from Idaho should be able to help us out more in that position. General Parnell was playing on special teams, and on the one kickup where Priddy got some hang time, Parnell stopped the punt returner before he got started. I was impressed with that. He apparently has good speed, but why but dont have explanation why he not getting more playing time.

As far as last nights game, the QB from UNI was very good passer, but I was surpised how often we got into the pocket and were close to sacking the QB. Yes we did get sacks, but maybe with more over all spend on defense we could have gotten more. Going after the QB might have opened up the receivers.

I just listened to the Webcast on the Argus that included Terry and Coach Stig. Little slow here as fan myself, but Stig mentioned that the list of prospects is right now at 300, of which he said that they could and would only get 20 of those 300. Lets hope we go after and more speed. IMO that was what beat us more than anything else.

Berry, Priddy, and others do need to step more from where they are right now, and I suppose these guys know this more than anyone else. Our coaches too saw things last night that they did not see in spring and fall camp. Coach Stig was not happy with the play and he should know and he should care, and he does care

I am not about to predict the W's and L for this season, but I felt we would have a very tough season. We got good opponents, and what impressed me the most was the larger number of donors listed in the programs. Those giving over 5k per year have increase a great deal, plus the the 1k to 1.5K group has also grown.

Comment

Coyote-Fan:

I'll give you one warning. Keep USD smack off of SDSU game threads.

That goes for any other pro-USD poster as well. If you can't control yourselves I'll do it for you.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Good warning Filbert...but I took care of my own. Your Ignore feature works great. I sure as heck am not the least bit interested in what Coyote_Fan and/or any of his type has to say about our program. But I suppose he gets lonely over on the USD fan board, which nobody cares about. Again, this is a great feature!

Comment

Originally posted by 01Pantherfan View Post
            SDSU played a great game ! even our Coach said he was nervous about this game ! Your team needs to hold their heads high and get it done next week ! the rest of the year I am a SDSU fan for sure, what i have heard it was a great time at the game and class act fans a great series to come in years ahead i am sure !

Go Panthers !
            Go Jackrabbits !
            One more thought...for those who wish we would renew the rivalry with USD...here's a great example. Read Coyote_Fan (before you put him on your ignore list) and his anonymous trash talking and compare it to 01PantherFan and you have the ultimate example of class (UNI fan) and the utter lack of class (USD fan). No more is needed.

Comment

"I just got home and there is NO WAY there was only 10,844 fans at this football game. I know they like to be conservative but no way.
              There could not have been 5K more people at last years Central Ark game."

Seems like a disappointing turnout for an opponent of this stature. Could the capacity have been diminished by that much by installing the seat backs? Or were there really 4-5000 empty seats?

The Argus pointed out the vast difference in income between the ND and SD programs so knocking 30% off the capacity of Coughlin seems a bit strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                One more thought...for those who wish we would renew the rivalry with USD...here's a great example. Read Coyote_Fan (before you put him on your ignore list) and his anonymous trash talking and compare it to 01PantherFan and you have the ultimate example of class (UNI fan) and the utter lack of class (USD fan). No more is needed.
                I wouldn't lump all USD fans with Coyote_Fan, just as I hope USD fans don't lump all of us with an idiot or two from our side. You know there are a few SDSU fans who act the same way as Coyote_Fan. Not all USD fans have an "utter lack of class."

Comment

Originally posted by rcjacks View Post
                  I wouldn't lump all USD fans with Coyote_Fan, just as I hope USD fans don't lump all of us with an idiot or two from our side. You know there are a few SDSU fans who act the same way as Coyote_Fan. Not all USD fans have an "utter lack of class."
                  Who said I was saying anything about "all" USD fans??? I thought I said it very clear. I have no time for Coyote_Fan, whomever he or she is, and the two posts from Coyote_Fan and 01PantherFan demonstrate why. Having said that, I'll be glad to visit with you about MANY instances where a lot of Coyote fans demonstrated fully their lack of class. Obviously it is not ALL the people and ALL of the fans of the school...only those who project their elitest view on how classy they are. Overall, I could care less about any of them except those who want to invade our fan site to do their trash talking.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                    "I just got home and there is NO WAY there was only 10,844 fans at this football game. I know they like to be conservative but no way.

Seems like a disappointing turnout for an opponent of this stature. Could the capacity have been diminished by that much by installing the seat backs? Or were there really 4-5000 empty seats?

The Argus pointed out the vast difference in income between the ND and SD programs so knocking 30% off the capacity of Coughlin seems a bit strange.
                    I too question the attendance figure. But I can't imagine that the seat backs have much of anything to do with it. At most, those seatbacks kept the usual three or four jerks from squeezing into our row without tickets. Take that times 20 rows, and you're talking maybe 80 or 100 lost "seats".
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Hey guys, I have to think SDSU is about the best 0-3 team in FCS. Your going to get some wins but your schedule has been pretty brutal so far. Regarding the comments by some other fans that just reinforces why I'd like to see old rivals in a different conference. I'm talking of course about UND. Anyway I won't be looking at your overall record when NDSU comes down to Brookings to play. I know better, in the end everything goes out the window and it will be smash mouth football. You guys always play us tough and I suspect the rest of your opponents will find that out. Even though you came out so far on the short end of the stick I've read comments on other board of the teams you have played and they have all been impressed with your team. Here's to next week, we will have another tough test too on the road no less.

Comment

Yeah, I think the attendence listed seemed low. I was guessing in the 13,000 or 14,000 range based on how full seats looked -- probably closer to the higher number. Not sure what to think, but could there have been a mistake. The crowed was nearly like one on Hobo Day.

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post

Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by rodrawks View Post
                          I was really happy with Berry's play. Pretty solid night...no mistakes first half and just a couple in the second that he got away with....numbers weren't all that impressive, 16-25, 183yds, 1 td, but he looked really composed.
                          Aside from the opening two drives, nothing was accomplished on offense. Ryan threw at least two would-be interceptions ... one Harris broke up and one that was dropped. He also fumbled. He didn't play a horrible game, but he didn't lead, either. We scored (when it mattered ... before the game was out of reach) on one big pass play and on a drive of 50 or so yards. We need more offensive production, and Ryan has to provide much of it.

As for the other aspects of the game, the punting game gets a D and the gradeis only that high because of the one long punt with great coverage. The secondary gets a D, too. Of course, the UNI quarterback had far too much time. When we blitzed, we got pretty good pressure and a few sacks. But we quit bringing men in the second half, and he picked us apart. Poor coaching decision to stop blitzing. Very poor. That being said, though, the secondary struggled horribly. We played off the UNI receivers too much. They were much quicker than us. Their skill position players are superior ... by quite a bit. Safe to say the same is true of coaching, too. We are just so inconsistant. We'll play one good quarter and three very poor ones. Or three good quarters after digging a huge hole. It's something that started last year and is continuing.

Next week, we log a win. But we have our work cut out for us for most of this season.
                          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

The seatback seats are not causing any loss of real seats. My seat #'s are exactly the same as they have been the last two years, and the seats are not oversized by any means. I am not a big person by anyone's definition (except small children) and I have little room to spare on the seat. I could not believe the announced attendance, either. The offense needs to get it together. The lack of opportunities for Wagner needs to change. If teams are doing things to take him away we need to make adjustments to get him the ball. As Stig said in the post-game comments, UNI was doing things to take advantage of their playmakers and speed to get mismatches. We need to do the same things to get the ball to our playmakers. A big part of our offense with Kardoes was his speed/running ability which made the belly option and regular option plays a big part of our offense. (Think Tebow, Patrick White (WVa) and Alex Smith when at Utah in the spread offense) Teams also needed to account for him when they rushed because he could scramble for big yards. The "waggle play" also has been a big part of the offense which got the ball to the TE or allowed Andy to run if the TE was covered. Berry just does not have the same athletic ability as Kardoes, and teams are not concerned with him running. I am NOT saying that Berry is a bad quarterback, he took a pretty good beating last night and still never turned the ball over. Too often, the sacks or penalties put us in bad position on 2nd and 3rd downs. I'll stop now as I am starting to ramble.

Comment

The punt team has killed us when we need them the most (punting in are territory) As far as attendance I don't know what SDSU's policy is on students but I know at other colleges if there is a line of students they just let them go if they have ID and don't keep track. (just a guess)

As far as the team in general, this is a tough schedule but that is not an excuse. This team can't play a whole game they can play good halves and good quarters but not good games. The defense does make the opposing team's offense pay for there mistakes but thats about it and when you are playing tough teams they don't make too many mistakes and we need to stop them not wait for there mistakes to get the ball.

Comment

I don't know if this had an effect on attendance or not, but I entered through a gate directly north of the visitor side bleachers and didn't use a turnstile. This gate is new this year so I don't know how many used it last night (BTW, it is very convenient entering from the Backyard if you are planning on sitting on the east side). Either way, announced attendance seemed low. Part of the west bleachers on the north side were fairly empty, but most of the east bleachers were full from end to end and the bleachers in the north end zone were used. THere was also a good number of people standing in the south endzone. No way there was 14,000 there (hobo day last year was much more full), but there was at least 12,000.

We only had 12,000+ for Central Arkansas last year, not 15,000 like stated in a previous post.

As for the game, a whole different frustrating post is needed.
                                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                                X