Uni

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Uni

I entered from the same gate without the turnstile and was wondering the same thing how they would count the people. They did tear off part of the ticket stub but other than that nothing for counting. Maybe this was part of the low number, my guess during the game was about 12.5K.

Comment

Couple of my thoughts:

1.) If the attendence was around 10,000 I would be a little dissapointed (but it did look like more people were there than the actual number).
      2.) UNI was very good, especially their quarterback. You can definetly tell he is a proven quarterback and vying for the Player of Year Award.
      3.) I thought the DB's (defense) didn't adjust to what was happening in the game. UNI kept running people away from the flats and their quarterback threw most of his passes to that area.
      4.) SDSU's punting game is flat out terrible right now. But if you were to watch Priddy practice after halftime he can punt (without the pressure of someone coming after him; he just has to relax when he is out there). But when he did pin UNI within the 5 on one of his good punts, SDSU's defense lets 2 plays go for 90 yards (not acceptable).

Comment

I don't know. I didn't see what the punting game looked like in the previous 2 games, but it was so windy last night, it's hard to complain about it to much against UNI. I think of the 7 or so punts, 6 of them were into the wind...of course punting is going to be terrible.
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by rodrawks View Post
          I don't know. I didn't see what the punting game looked like in the previous 2 games, but it was so windy last night, it's hard to complain about it to much against UNI. I think of the 7 or so punts, 6 of them were into the wind...of course punting is going to be terrible.
          I think those of us that are judgemental of the punting game are basing it on the three end over end punts that went out of bounds after 15-20 yards. The wind couldn't affect punts that bad.

Regardless, the kid has a leg, just needs some game experience and some consistency.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Re: attendance. I entered through the NWgate, and there were large 2-3ft gaps on each side of the turnstiles. Some fans went through the turnstiles, some didn't. If they relied on the turnstiles for attendance, it's definitely not an accurate count.

Comment

I also was surprised at the attendance figure, there had to be people walking next to the turnstiles, but maybe they are counting on stubs now. (if they continue to be lower than we expect, it would be my assumption that they are getting more accurate at counting and the old figures were slightly higher than actual)

The chairbacks were great!! On top of the padding, they keep others from crowding your space.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                I think those of us that are judgemental of the punting game are basing it on the three end over end punts that went out of bounds after 15-20 yards. The wind couldn't affect punts that bad.

Regardless, the kid has a leg, just needs some game experience and some consistency.
                I've watched 2 of the 3 games and our punting game is killing us. There's no secret that Stig likes to play a ball control style of football. Well, special teams is exceedingly important in playing ball control football. The idea is, through the use of a good punt and a stop on Defense, to come out with a net gain in yardage and eventually play from a short field for most of the game. Well, with our punting unit, the only team playing from a short field is the other team. Say what you will about our secondary and our offense, but you cannot consitently give a team the ball on our side of the 50 yard line and expect to win games. It came back to kill us against a team we should have beat in WIU and it turned a close game into a blowout against UNI.

The type of offense UNI employed relied on the rhythm and execution of a short passing attack. That type of offense is not a fast strike offense. What you hope to do is continously pin them on their side of the field and make them sustain a drive to beat you. You're gambling that they will not be able to sustain the dink and dunk game long enough to march the length of the field. Either it be by penalty, or a missed passed or a sack, somewhere along the way the odds will catch up with them and they'll be forced to punt. Giving them the ball inside the 50 greatly reduces their need to sustain the drive. 3 first downs and you're in the endzone.

If we're going to play ball control we need a punter who can do better than a 20 yard average after the first 4 punts. Yeah, he had one nice punt, but that's like being happy about getting 9 out of 10 questions wrong on your math quiz. Sure, it's nice to get that one question right, but you still flunked. When you're only job is to punt the ball, not even kicking it through the upright, but just generally kicking it as far down the field as possible, then you should be able to execute that. Especially at the FCS level.

Side note. During my senior year, our punter was hurt and our backup punter was forced to fill in for a game. Our backup punter was also our starting safety. He spent 15 minutes before each game practicing his punts and half of them went into the stands. In 1 1/2 games as a punter he averaged over 35 yards a punt. They weren't always pretty, but they didn't go out of bounds 15 yards down the field either.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Don't have time to say a lot right now. I was there, tailgate was great, first half was great, 2nd half not so much.

Punter contributed a great deal to our demise. Facts are facts, he has got to kick the ball better or someone else needs to replace him.

They had guys open all over the field, excellent game plan executed to near perfection. They don't blow that first half pass/interception and I don't think we stay with them through the first half. They showed patience and stuck to their game plan. Nice balance of inside runs, outside runs and short passes to the flat as well as across the middle. They never forced anything, not once. Thank goodness they couldn't get the place kicks down.

UNI was a better team than us on Saturday, they should be a force to wreckon with the remainder of the year.

Looking forward to next week.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

There is no question in my mind, SDSU was out played. I think MJA analysis was very helpful, especially for me who is one that never played college ball nor under Coach Stig.

I am always open to an explanation of game strategy. I think there are two people we really miss this season and they are Andy Kardoes and Neil Brainbridge. Those people made the ball controll strategy work last year. The replacements are struggling but its too soon to give up. If this was the NFL, there would be about a dozen punters out their to sign as a replacement. As with the game plans, once you set them up, you are a fool to start changing plans once the opening kickoff has gone bad or even the first quarter is bad. At 0-3 we are in a position with special teams where we have to stick with who we have. We are two deep maybe in special teams.

I notice by the program that Rob Servis is not only defensive line coach but is also in charge of special teams. Rob is a great coach in my opinion, but maybe he is a bit thinly spread in handling both.

I dont know. Its up to Priddy to get the job done and I think he will. As I post this message 22 miles away from CAS, there is wind outside and today if they practice, I sure Priddy can practice into the wind. Lets hope his stats start improve in the future.

I remember the one and only Stan Marshall golf event, that I was part of Coach Stig golfed with the group that I was part of for a hole or two. I remember him telling me he had a Kicker coming in from Columbus Neb. Andy Peck was not doing as good as they had hoped. Since I lived in Columbus at the time, he asked if I knew Parker Douglass. I said no, but I sure know who he is now. The point is if Priddy does not make progress by the end of the season, I would look for a punter being at the top of the recruiting list.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99 View Post
                      I also was surprised at the attendance figure, there had to be people walking next to the turnstiles, but maybe they are counting on stubs now. (if they continue to be lower than we expect, it would be my assumption that they are getting more accurate at counting and the old figures were slightly higher than actual)

The chairbacks were great!! On top of the padding, they keep others from crowding your space.

I'm shocked By the attendance. The argus blogs said it looked like the attendance was around 13k. I don't know, maybe the past number are all off, so when I try and compare my guess is away off. I did like the new chair backs, but they really pack us in there. Good way to keep warm.
                      Last edited by SFJACK; 09-18-2007, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Just watched and listened to a bit of the post game with our Coach he has nothing but good to say about SDSU, if anyone is interested here is the link it is not the whole press conference just what a local paper had....http://www.courierwebcasts.com/play....i.s.dakota.flv

It is audio and Pict's from the game.

Good luck this week take it to Texas State !!

Prediction

SDSU 34
                        Texas State 17

Comment

Thanks 01PantherFan for the link. Enjoyed the video slide show and appreciated the comments your coaches and players had about our team. We're pleased to be joining a solid group of schools in the Gateway next year!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                            Thanks 01PantherFan for the link. Enjoyed the video slide show and appreciated the comments your coaches and players had about our team. We're pleased to be joining a solid group of schools in the Gateway next year!!!
                            I have no doubts that the addition of SDSU and NDSU will only make the Gateway the toughest conference in the country ! I am sure that the series between UNI and SDSU will be a great one each year !

Comment

Mysiouxfalls.com has a 3 minute video recapping the game on their sports page.

http://mysiouxfalls.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X