Hypothetical Dana J Dykehouse Stadium Addition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JacksFan80 View Post
    Am I correct in remembering when the stadium was built that they said it had the ability to be expanded up to 40k? I swear I remember either hearing or reading that somewhere.
    Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Not sure if 40 k is the right number but you could significantly increase the capacity. The east side could mirror the west side. A second level could be added behind the students and in the corners on the south end. And the corners could be filled in on the north side.

The scoreboard is an obstacle on the south end but that could be raised and moved to accommodate the expansion.
    I second that 40k was probably never in the potential expansion plan. Home sideline currently holds around 7500 bleacher/chair seats alone (not including club/lodge boxes) That's split around 4500 lower level/3000 upper deck. East side is around 7300 actually. That leaves around 4500 between premium boxes, students, and band.

Filling in the SW corner could add another section 115 give or take, which is 715 seats. The picture above looks like it would add maybe 14 rows on the east side, for around 3600 additional seats? The concept imagery Mr. Miller shared likely only increases capacity by less than 5k, to around 23,500-24,000 based on some rough counts and assumptions. Of course, adding even a single row down the full east side would be around 280-300 people more, so that number can quickly rise if they build up a bit more, or include the south end zone seating too.

I know you're not arguing for 40k by any stretch, and likely not even an immediate expansion at all... but we should take a step back on here and remind ourselves that we've only passed the 3rd game in what will be a 4-game sellout streak. I would hope SDSU and SD Board of Regents would require at least a 5 year track record of consistent sellouts, plus 12k+ in playoffs (hopefully more) before getting serious about an expansion. The very casual fan is still surprised they haven't been able to walk up the last few games here and buy tickets day-of. A few years of ticket scarcity could drive intentionality in the casual fanbase a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by RahRahRabbits View Post

I second that 40k was probably never in the potential expansion plan. Home sideline currently holds around 7500 bleacher/chair seats alone (not including club/lodge boxes) That's split around 4500 lower level/3000 upper deck. East side is around 7300 actually. That leaves around 4500 between premium boxes, students, and band.

Filling in the SW corner could add another section 115 give or take, which is 715 seats. The picture above looks like it would add maybe 14 rows on the east side, for around 3600 additional seats? The concept imagery Mr. Miller shared likely only increases capacity by less than 5k, to around 23,500-24,000 based on some rough counts and assumptions. Of course, adding even a single row down the full east side would be around 280-300 people more, so that number can quickly rise if they build up a bit more, or include the south end zone seating too.

I know you're not arguing for 40k by any stretch, and likely not even an immediate expansion at all... but we should take a step back on here and remind ourselves that we've only passed the 3rd game in what will be a 4-game sellout streak. I would hope SDSU and SD Board of Regents would require at least a 5 year track record of consistent sellouts, plus 12k+ in playoffs (hopefully more) before getting serious about an expansion. The very casual fan is still surprised they haven't been able to walk up the last few games here and buy tickets day-of. A few years of ticket scarcity could drive intentionality in the casual fanbase a bit more.
      It is always fun to conceptualize potential outcomes, however unlikely.

If FBS was ever in consideration, remember, that would eliminate all December home games. It would be easier, in a sense, to have a higher average attendance when you’re only hosting 5 to 6 home games per year during the warmer portion of the football season.

I would hope that the BOR would never put some sort of stipulation on # of sellouts being a factor for being a requirement for expansion. That’s just silly.

Coastal Carolina hosted Kansas in one of their early FBS seasons. If we were ever in that situation, I’m guessing we would sell out a 23k stadium pretty easily — assuming we continue our trend of highly competitive football teams.

There was a lot more demand for the Montana State game this year to probably put us over 20k for that game if we had the room. Students who didn’t arrive early have also been denied entry and turned away multiple times this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFan80 View Post
        Am I correct in remembering when the stadium was built that they said it had the ability to be expanded up to 40k? I swear I remember either hearing or reading that somewhere.
        Yes. DJD is designed to expand all the way to 40 K. You are correct.

Comment

Some TVs on the blank walls next to the bathrooms would be nice as well. They have TVs on either side of the concession stands. I like to go down at halftime to stand a little bit and it is nice to be able to watch another game during that time.
          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Thank you for the improved wifi/cellular reception. It has been nice being able to check scores during the game.

Now please turn the speaker volume down a notch. For us older guys with tinnitus it is just plain painful!
            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
              Thank you for the improved wifi/cellular reception. It has been nice being able to check scores during the game.

Now please turn the speaker volume down a notch. For us older guys with tinnitus it is just plain painful!
              There are some good ear plugs out there that are designed for concerts. They mute the background noise while still allowing for the music to come through. I have found them useful for sporting events too. Eargasm are the ones I use. There are a bunch of different ones out there though.

On topic - I wouldn't mind naming the field Coughlin field. Connect the past to the present.
              Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
              -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Coughlin field and Frost court

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post

There are some good ear plugs out there that are designed for concerts. They mute the background noise while still allowing for the music to come through. I have found them useful for sporting events too. Eargasm are the ones I use. There are a bunch of different ones out there though.

On topic - I wouldn't mind naming the field Coughlin field. Connect the past to the present.
                  Thanks for the tip. A musician friend made a similar recommendation. So I am trying a pair, Earasers. Looks like a similar design and I do hope they work. My ears were ringing for 3 days after the last game.

I concur on naming the field. Dykhouse, Stigelmeire and Coughlin names in the venue are appropriate.
                  Last edited by Prairiehaas; 11-28-2023, 06:07 AM.
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                    Coughlin field and Frost court
                    I'd prefer Frost Arena presented by First Bank and Trust (like the Rose Bowl presented by _____).

Comment

I'd prefer Frost Arena presented by First Bank and Trust (like the Rose Bowl presented by _____).
                      That does sound better. I appreciate First Bank and Trust for supporting SDSU, but I REALLY love Frost Arena.

Comment

The most recent Collegian reports that students are clamoring for a permanent north side video board but offer no funding mechanism to pay for it. The lack of a northside scoreboard came down to prioritizing stadium elements elsewhere and because the students were not willing to contribute to DJD via fees when the project financing was being put into place, it was an easy decision for planners to eliminate a north side scoreboard. Perhaps if current students want a video board now, current students could vote to pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post
                          The most recent Collegian reports that students are clamoring for a permanent north side video board but offer no funding mechanism to pay for it. The lack of a northside scoreboard came down to prioritizing stadium elements elsewhere and because the students were not willing to contribute to DJD via fees when the project financing was being put into place, it was an easy decision for planners to eliminate a north side scoreboard. Perhaps if current students want a video board now, current students could vote to pay for it.
                          Sorry, but that strikes a nerve with me. Like they don't pay enough F'ing money already to attend the school.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                            Sorry, but that strikes a nerve with me. Like they don't pay enough F'ing money already to attend the school.
                            Completely agree. While a northside board would benefit the students, they only occupy part of the south side. It shouldn't be hard to find a sponsor for a northside board and not burden students with more fees.

Comment

Completely agree. While a northside board would benefit the students, they only occupy part of the south side. It shouldn't be hard to find a sponsor for a northside board and not burden students with more fees.
                              There has to be some extra money lying around now from record suite sales and record attendance, no?!? I'm sure plenty of north-side regular people would sure appreciate a screen closer as well, in addition to all of those unable to see the south-side screen easily.

Comment

Originally posted by RahRahRabbits View Post

There has to be some extra money lying around now from record suite sales and record attendance, no?!? I'm sure plenty of north-side regular people would sure appreciate a screen closer as well, in addition to all of those unable to see the south-side screen easily.
                                And beer sales.

Comment

Working...
                                X