Assistant Coach moves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

i really do not want to get on either side of this. just making a simple comment about the recent history of the program. i am curious if you think the program has been stagnant recently?

and my thought is that i do not think anyone, including myself, was trying to say you ALWAYS hire former players, no matter what. at the same time, i do not think you or anyone else was trying to say that hiring former players automatically leads to insularity and stagnation. it seems the conversation goes a bit better and remains less combative, when we stay away from making extreme assumptions

there is no doubt that Stig saw value in having former players on staff, while also being open minded enough to hire good people with a different background. he also gave responsibility and authority to his assistants, even if he might have done things differently if he would have made all those decisions by himself. Stig built a foundation that he would have been very VERY slow to change, but beyond foundational decisions he was very open minded to voices outside of HIS

seems that system worked very well to avoid stagnation, but also build a program with a very strong identity and respected culture. my guess is that JR takes a very similar approach
    Amen on the 2nd paragraph; regarding the 3rd, am I alone in thinking that there seemed a palpable difference in how aggressive the defense was during the Clint Brown Era versus the Rogers Era?

I can recall posters on here consistently criticizing Stig/Brown for refusing to blitz, and that's become less common now. It'd be oversimplifying to attribute that to the change in DC, as I think some of it was also due to improved depth/skill in the secondary that afforded more opportunity to blitz.

The "I have vast experience in business, so my business analogy should be intuitive and relevant" argument has been made here before (using the same tone as the most recent post), and I'd be curious if proponents of that would also view limiting hiring a person due largely to that applicant's prior experience with that "business" is viewed as prudent. In my mind, it seems highly constraining in its own manner.

Comment

Two former Jacks on the Northwestern coaching staff. Jake Menage Offensive Coordinator and Billy Kirch Defensive Coordinator. I also like former Jack Isaiah Jackson who is linebacker coach at UC Davis.

Comment

Sometimes it is nice to get guys from a different area of the country to open that area up to recruiting.
        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Football Scoop reporting Winona State has an immediate opening for a defensive assistant - https://footballscoop.com/thescoop/t...anuary-25-2023

Fits the Pete Menage thought process. Not trying to start a rumor, just sharing information.
          Last edited by CatchEmAll; 01-25-2023, 02:49 PM.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
            Football Scoop reporting Winona State has an immediate opening for a defensive assistant - https://footballscoop.com/thescoop/t...anuary-25-2023

Fits the Pete Menage thought process. Not trying to start a rumor, just sharing information.
            Fixed that opener for you; would hate for Pete's tenure to start with illicit rumor

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Fixed that opener for you; would hate for Pete's tenure to start with illicit rumor
              OMG. That was terrible. Multi-tasking wasn't working for me. Thanks!
              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post

OMG. That was terrible. Multi-tasking wasn't working for me. Thanks!
                Most people probably aren't as childish and ice-cream focused as me

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Most people probably aren't as childish and ice-cream focused as me
                  i take it catchemall did some editing. sorry i missed the original. sounds like it might have been something fun))

I always said i was a good coach because i was just a bigger older kid)) my knees and ankles definitely tell me i am old now but my brain still thinks a lot of the dumb stuff i did when i was a kid

as far as the ice cream, i think my dad might rival you but i am sure the two of you are in a very select group)!! i think i told you that in the old (good old) double header days, he used to have a cone at both half times and in between games occasionally, but almost always had two cones

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                    Sometimes it is nice to get guys from a different area of the country to open that area up to recruiting.
                    I could be wrong, but i am not positive this is a priority. for sure it is something that is considered, but i have doubts it is a priority. In the D2 days the jacks recruited SD, MN, IA, and Chicago. since moving to D1 they still focus on those and they have added a lot more focus on NE and AZ

of course they will take a good player from anywhere if they feel the fit is right. we have always gotten a kid or two from FL and lately we get about the same from TX. seem to be doing a little more business in MO and have also always gotten kids here and there from WI. currently have at least one Canadian

but ultimately there are only so many coaches and so much time. in theory, if SD, MN, IA, NE, and AZ got 99% of the time and energy and we hired a new coach with ties to some other state, say?? virginia. and that coach now accounted for 10-15% of the staff time and energy going to virginia. it is not like there is still 99% for the previous areas of focus. point being if you have the same amount of staff, the same amount of hours in the day, the same recruiting budget, and you begin spending more recruiting capital in a new location it is almost impossible to NOT spend less capital in an old location

AGAIN i am not trying to say that the staff never considers doing something different. I believe they do a very good job of being open minded to new ideas and new choices that would improve the program and at the same time understanding the things that have made them successful and not going away from those without very good reasons

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

i take it catchemall did some editing. sorry i missed the original. sounds like it might have been something fun))

I always said i was a good coach because i was just a bigger older kid)) my knees and ankles definitely tell me i am old now but my brain still thinks a lot of the dumb stuff i did when i was a kid

as far as the ice cream, i think my dad might rival you but i am sure the two of you are in a very select group)!! i think i told you that in the old (good old) double header days, he used to have a cone at both half times and in between games occasionally, but almost always had two cones
                      Fun when describing the size of the Dairy Bar ice cream scoops, and damnit, let's get the National Dairy Council to press the Summit to bring back the tri-cone doubleheaders.

Comment

• If Jesse Bobbitt thinks like the former Defensive Coordinator/Coordinator of the Year that produced that defense the past couple years .......I'm cool with that. I dont remember the Menages......which I'm not sure how I feel about that.
                        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

• https://twitter.com/sean_callahan/st...4iEZLGwVvDGSAw

Good for Mikey

Comment

• Originally posted by salemjack View Post
                            When I saw "Good for Mikey" in "New Posts," I thought he'd been named RB coach.

Nevertheless, happy he got a job he seems interested in, even if it's the Huskers

Comment

• Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post

This tweet suggests there's something to that rumor. Also, awesome to see another Cavalier headed to Jacks

Comment

• Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

This tweet suggests there's something to that rumor. Also, awesome to see another Cavalier headed to Jacks
                                i guess i am just gonna be sad for a while seeing Jackrabbit FB tweets without a Holynutmeg included. i am totally thrilled with coach rogers!!! just that coach stig has always meant a lot to me i guess

Comment

Working...
                                X