Assistant Coach moves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post

You missed the most powerful motivator. Coach said his wife is from SD(Mitchell), that's pretty powerful when you have young kids and are in a profession that is always on the road.
    i did catch it. decided not to give a list of all the reasons i think there is a solid chance he stays a long time or a ranking))) apparently sometimes my posts are long) i DO agree with you. if you agree with me that him and Stig may communicate differently and he is probably more aggressive with the Xs and Os, but overall they are very very much alike, then it would make sense that that is very important

Stig is all about family and family has been mentioned many times already in this transition. so for sure having the best possible circumstance for his family is a big factor

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

i did catch it. decided not to give a list of all the reasons i think there is a solid chance he stays a long time or a ranking))) apparently sometimes my posts are long) i DO agree with you. if you agree with me that him and Stig may communicate differently and he is probably more aggressive with the Xs and Os, but overall they are very very much alike, then it would make sense that that is very important

Stig is all about family and family has been mentioned many times already in this transition. so for sure having the best possible circumstance for his family is a big factor
      I wonder if at least some of those differences stem from the fact that Rogers played in college, while Stig didn't.

I'm also curious about the impact Rogers' fairly recent history as a player can help him both navigate concerns like NIL and the transfer portal and communicate paths forward and options with athletes currently on the roster, transfers, and future Jacks.

Comment

That’s a lot of coach’s, will give Jimmy a chance to put his stamp on the program but will also make what seemed like a pretty easy transition a little more difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JRFanatic View Post
          That’s a lot of coach’s, will give Jimmy a chance to put his stamp on the program but will also make what seemed like a pretty easy transition a little more difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Like the mention of Wieneke for WR coach by other posters; how about Danny Batten to coach DL?

Comment

I would think alums, Jake Menage, OC at Northwestern College and Brandon Snyder, Bellevue HS would be in the mix as WR and Safeties coach. Menage would be a great asset as a play caller. Snyder would be great asset in secondary and also recruiting asset in the Omaha area where Dan Jackson had so much success. Would Dan Jackson consider coming back after his twitter gaffe??

Comment

I guess I am less concerned about coaches being former players. I am more concerned that they know how to coach and have ties for recruiting purposes. If they are a former player, that is a bonus.
              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                I guess I am less concerned about coaches being former players. I am more concerned that they know how to coach and have ties for recruiting purposes. If they are a former player, that is a bonus.
                the reason we are speculating about former players as potential coaches, is Coach Rogers spoke about the value of being an alum when coaching at a school and stated that he would have more former players as coaches

because of the prioritization of culture, obviously getting former players allows you to know how they fit your culture. without question, Stig tried to hire former players, but he was also not afraid to hire outside of that group when he believed the fit was right, ala both OC before Lujan- Eidsness and Eck

i have no doubt coach Rogers will be open minded as well, but i am happy that he wants to bring back former players when the fit is right

Comment

The coaching staff definitely needs some diversity and some fresh, outside perspective wouldn't hurt, but I'm sure Coach Rogers will put together an excellent staff. If he needs advice, he's got a great mentor available in Coach Stig.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Avoiding group think with former players will be key, it's a small quibble, but wasn't totally enamored when Rogers said Bobbitt and himself think the same way. Totally agree that having fresh, outside perspective is very important.

Hiring asst coaches is the most important thing that a head coach does in my opinion.

Comment

Fresh outside perspective could be really good but you have to be careful… If it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it!!!!

There are of course tons of colleges that haven’t made the playoffs for a very long time or maybe just here and there… Then it might be a good idea to especially try to hire assistant coaches that have made the playoffs in the past… It could be a touchy situation… somehow you need to get on the same page with new assistant coaches… and maybe tweak some things… But if a new coach comes in and then says I think we need to throw 80% of the time… That’s not tweaking for the Jack’s!!! Of course Rogers isn’t going to let that idea grab hold I would definitely guess!!

Comment

You think a defensive minded coach, 1 year after having the best defense in fcs would want to hire a D coordinator that wants to run a defense differently than he does? You can’t be serious Clark. Sounds like a great way to have a coaching staff at odds.
                        Let’s be honest here, Jimmy will still be heavily involved and run the defense while Jesse learns under him for another year at least.

Comment

Originally posted by NCJack View Post
                          You think a defensive minded coach, 1 year after having the best defense in fcs would want to hire a D coordinator that wants to run a defense differently than he does? You can’t be serious Clark. Sounds like a great way to have a coaching staff at odds.
                          Let’s be honest here, Jimmy will still be heavily involved and run the defense while Jesse learns under him for another year at least.
                          You missed the entire point completely. The point was that being insular in your approach leads to stagnant results, in business as in coaching. It isn't about changing the system, it's about keeping the 30,000 ft perspective and not having group think since everyone is friends and knows each other so well.

Get a clue man.

Comment

I have heard a rumor both Pete Menage and Jacob Menage have been added to the staff. I have not seen it confirmed anywhere however.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post

You missed the entire point completely. The point was that being insular in your approach leads to stagnant results, in business as in coaching. It isn't about changing the system, it's about keeping the 30,000 ft perspective and not having group think since everyone is friends and knows each other so well.

Get a clue man.
                              Both Bobbit and Rogers coached at FBS schools elsewhere before returning to SDSU, so the insularity argument isn't as strong as you suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post

Get a clue man.
                                i really do not want to get on either side of this. just making a simple comment about the recent history of the program. i am curious if you think the program has been stagnant recently?

and my thought is that i do not think anyone, including myself, was trying to say you ALWAYS hire former players, no matter what. at the same time, i do not think you or anyone else was trying to say that hiring former players automatically leads to insularity and stagnation. it seems the conversation goes a bit better and remains less combative, when we stay away from making extreme assumptions

there is no doubt that Stig saw value in having former players on staff, while also being open minded enough to hire good people with a different background. he also gave responsibility and authority to his assistants, even if he might have done things differently if he would have made all those decisions by himself. Stig built a foundation that he would have been very VERY slow to change, but beyond foundational decisions he was very open minded to voices outside of HIS

seems that system worked very well to avoid stagnation, but also build a program with a very strong identity and respected culture. my guess is that JR takes a very similar approach

Comment

Working...
                                X