No announcement yet.

Assistant Coach moves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christian Smith may have had a shot at DC if he had a little bit of patience

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
      Christian Smith may have had a shot at DC if he had a little bit of patience
      I would think the coaching staff knew before today.

Comment

It will be very interesting to see what role, if any, Stig continues to have with the team / athletic program.

He is such a fan and promoter of SDSU and a believer in the school. it is hard to believe that he will not keep some role promoting and helping the school. at the same time he has spent most of his life at SDSU and if he wants to step away to be a grandpa and do other things, he is more than deserving!

all that said, and the reason i posted this in assistant coaches thread, i very much hope that he is and will be and that everyone wants him to be involved in the finding and hiring process of this first group of new assistants under Jimmy. Hopefully, Jimmy has learned this skill from his coach, but Stig was a total genius at hiring assistants!!

It does not seem like the new DC is on the current staff and possibly all the assistants will come from the outside. that will be unusual!! We go back quite a long time that all the coordinators moved up from another position on the staff, but that seems unlikely this time around. i am trying to think what jacks coaches have left who might be good candidates to come back as the DC. seems almost zero chance it would be Brown or Bergstrom. also seems zero chance that Dan J comes back at a significant pay cut, even though he would go from position coach to DC. again i highly doubt that is even a remote possibility, but you would think Bobbit very possibly will move to LB coach and would be an easy fit for Jackson as DC and safeties or defensive backs coach

i am sure there are other lesser known position coaches who have moved on who might be potential fits to come back and take on DC duties

somebody mentioned Zenner as RB coach earlier. that seems extremely unlikely, but i would love to see Jimmy utilize his charisma and find out how much longer Jake W wants to keep playing and what his interest in coaching is. It seems like he would be a great fit as the new WR coach, IF he is not planning on playing a lot longer

Comment

Dan Jackson got in some trouble this year, but other than that I would love to see him back. He recruited the heck out of Nebraska for us.

Comment

I agree, I don't think the DC is on the current staff. A name I thought of was Isaiah Jackson, LB coach at UC Davis and former SDSU LB and teammate of Jimmy?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks View Post
              I agree, I don't think the DC is on the current staff. A name I thought of was Isaiah Jackson, LB coach at UC Davis and former SDSU LB and teammate of Jimmy?
              Are we certain Jimmy won't attempt dual HC/DC?

I'd prefer not for the first couple years at least

Comment

I’m sure he will have a big influence on the defense, you still hire a DC though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks View Post
                  In the press conference, Jimmy Rogers said Jesse Bobbit will be his DC.
                  "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Jesse Bobbit also will be the LB coach, as Rogers was. Those two guys have similar styles and a close relationship, which is great. Assuming Zach Lujan remains as OC and quarterbacks coach, this will be young and talented core of coaching leaders.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Also mention of additional former players now coaches "coming back"..... More than excited about 2023.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post

In the press conference, Jimmy Rogers said Jesse Bobbit will be his DC.
                        Well so much for new DC not being on staff)) I guess if i was told i MUST choose someone, i would have leaned toward Jesse. I just did not think they would go that route with him being on staff for one year, but it is not like he has been a coach for just one year.

I very much liked the explanation of Jimmy and Jesse having a relationship and Jimmy knowing that they have the same or a similar thought process

I liked it a LOT that he wants to emphasize having former players on staff, not saying that you cannot or we have not had great coaches who were not former players!!!, but i agree with Jimmy about the power of the shared experience!! and i think it is great that Jimmy will be able to talk to future players and teams about where the jacks are at today and where he believes they are going to go, and at the same time he was here when the coaches were working in trailers and everything that went with that and he can talk about that too!!!

on one hand i already miss knowing that Coach Stig is the coach of my team, and on the other hand i am super excited to have Jimmy be the new coach and to see where he is going to take the Jacks!!!

Comment

Updated 2023 Coaching staff and roster on gojacks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hip2daHop View Post
                            Also mention of additional former players now coaches "coming back"..... More than excited about 2023.
                            so if i am up to speed on coaches who left, we need a WR coach, a RB coach, a DL coach and a Safety or DB coach

a bit related:

ndsu fans have made comments about us joining them now in the carousel of coaches and wondering when we will lose our head coach if he is successful, because we wont have Stig and the knowledge that he was at the one place that he really wanted to be

Never say never, but I think Jimmy sees SDSU as home and it is gonna take a lot for him to think about coaching at another school where he does not know the story and is not a part of the story, the way he is and does as HC for the Jacks

and i think this is a HUGE difference between what Stig built and what they built in Fargo. I think ndsu has tried to hire the best coaches when they have had openings. Stig prioritized hiring the right coach for SDSU, and while that was not always a former player, i believe it was important to get as many of those as possible, and when it was not possible to get someone who WOULD FIT into the Jacks culture, despite not being a part of the story as a player

Just to be clear. i understand that some would say the right coach is the best coach, but Stig definitely passed up better resumes and better experience to hire the guy he believed was the right guy on multiple occasions!! for instance, it is obvious that a program who had been to many consecutive playoffs and multiple national semis and a recent final had applicants with much more experience than Coach Lujan to be the new OC last year, but Stig believed that Zach was the right guy

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

so if i am up to speed on coaches who left, we need a WR coach, a RB coach, a DL coach and a Safety or DB coach

a bit related:

ndsu fans have made comments about us joining them now in the carousel of coaches and wondering when we will lose our head coach if he is successful, because we wont have Stig and the knowledge that he was at the one place that he really wanted to be

Never say never, but I think Jimmy sees SDSU as home and it is gonna take a lot for him to think about coaching at another school where he does not know the story and is not a part of the story, the way he is and does as HC for the Jacks

and i think this is a HUGE difference between what Stig built and what they built in Fargo. I think ndsu has tried to hire the best coaches when they have had openings. Stig prioritized hiring the right coach for SDSU, and while that was not always a former player, i believe it was important to get as many of those as possible, and when it was not possible to get someone who WOULD FIT into the Jacks culture, despite not being a part of the story as a player

Just to be clear. i understand that some would say the right coach is the best coach, but Stig definitely passed up better resumes and better experience to hire the guy he believed was the right guy on multiple occasions!! for instance, it is obvious that a program who had been to many consecutive playoffs and multiple national semis and a recent final had applicants with much more experience than Coach Lujan to be the new OC last year, but Stig believed that Zach was the right guy
                              Will also need someone to be the recruiting coordinator since Bobbit likely won't have the time.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

You missed the most powerful motivator. Coach said his wife is from SD(Mitchell), that's pretty powerful when you have young kids and are in a profession that is always on the road.
                                With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Working...
                                X