Assistant Coach moves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
    Imagined their logo down in Frisco. Puke.

https://twitter.com/sdcoyotesfb/stat...FlcIAbUSJF8OKg
    After watching that I don’t think he is even convinced this move is a good idea!!!! Talk about hesitant. Man was shaking even bringing up the idea of a conference championship in Vermillion.

Comment

I'm sure Josh Davis did more behind the scenes, especially early in the year, in helping a young Lujan as OC. Between their familiarity going back to player/coach days and Davis' prior experience as a successful OC. Hate to see him leave, but completely understand the reasoning. He's not going to get promoted at SDSU anytime soon most likely. I'd assume Lujan is not leaving anytime soon. Davis is probably not the next HC here either. Therefore an advancement to OC at an FCS level is great for the resume and future jobs after that. Who knows, maybe USD is bad again, but the offense is respectable and the players/administration love Davis and he becomes their next HC? If so, good for him. Maybe their offense is fantastic and he turns this job into a FBS OC job or a NAIA or D2 HC job. He made $58,635 at SDSU. It looks like USD prior OC made $95,910. I would assume Davis will make more than that there, so he therefore doubled his salary. Now if in a few years he can advance again and turn $100,000 into $200,000 as a low level HC, or $500,000 as an FBS OC.

And what's the worst case scenario of this move? USD fires their entire staff, Davis has to ditch his blue and wear red for a year, his family has to move again, and he goes back to a D2/FCS position coach or NAIA Coordinator, making the same amount he made at SDSU. Well, the ultimate worst case scenario is that his vast knowledge of SDSU's program propels USD passed SDSU.
      Last edited by mnjackrbt; 01-11-2023, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post

Yes, can admin move these posts over???
        The new thread has been created. This is it. Thank you, admins.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Just hard to picture him as a yote. Thought the same thing when Austin Hansen went there but understand people have to do what they feel is right and will always support that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As an unpaid fan it is hard to understand how he can make such a change. However, I am sue that it looks a lot different when the roof over your head, the car you drive, and the food on your table depend on the team you work for. Good luck to Josh Davis and family. Thank you for your years in blue.
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

You hate to see it because it can only make USD better, but let's be thankful that we're in a position where they're hiring our guys and not the other way around .

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post
                You hate to see it because it can only make USD better, but let's be thankful that we're in a position where they're hiring our guys and not the other way around .
                without question SDSU is one of the first places other teams are looking when they need to making OC, DC, and HC coaching moves

the biggest thing Stig has done is create a culture and an identity. then based on how they fit into that identity and culture he has been an absolute genius at choosing the right coach almost without fail! obviously other teams are and have been aware that SDSU has exceptional assistant coaches

all the assistants being hired by other schools is an obvious compliment to Stig and the program he has created, but this still SUCKS!!

also it does just have an odd feeling
                dont know Josh at all. dont know his family situation, but he is obviously comfortable moving regularly. has not even been in his brookings home for a year at this time. but if does feel odd that he left a very good situation at NW (also the 2022 champs) where he surely would have had plenty of good options / opportunities sooner than later. to come to a place where he already knew they had a new OC and if things went well (which you obviously assume he would hope they would) that OC would not be leaving soon. only to leave again one year later, when again plenty of (better) options would soon be available

congratulations to Josh and i wish him the best!! but i believe he is in for a significant culture shock. i do not know what things are like at UND, but i know coaches and players at both NW and SDSU. the two athletic departments have a very similar philosophy and look for the same things in coaches and players

i also know current and former players at usd. i have had a lot of kids recruited by all of SDSU, NW, and usd and usd has a different philosophy and way of doing business

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

without question SDSU is one of the first places other teams are looking when they need to making OC, DC, and HC coaching moves

the biggest thing Stig has done is create a culture and an identity. then based on how they fit into that identity and culture he has been an absolute genius at choosing the right coach almost without fail! obviously other teams are and have been aware that SDSU has exceptional assistant coaches

all the assistants being hired by other schools is an obvious compliment to Stig and the program he has created, but this still SUCKS!!

also it does just have an odd feeling
                  dont know Josh at all. dont know his family situation, but he is obviously comfortable moving regularly. has not even been in his brookings home for a year at this time. but if does feel odd that he left a very good situation at NW (also the 2022 champs) where he surely would have had plenty of good options / opportunities sooner than later. to come to a place where he already knew they had a new OC and if things went well (which you obviously assume he would hope they would) that OC would not be leaving soon. only to leave again one year later, when again plenty of (better) options would soon be available

congratulations to Josh and i wish him the best!! but i believe he is in for a significant culture shock. i do not know what things are like at UND, but i know coaches and players at both NW and SDSU. the two athletic departments have a very similar philosophy and look for the same things in coaches and players

i also know current and former players at usd. i have had a lot of kids recruited by all of SDSU, NW, and usd and usd has a different philosophy and way of doing business
                  It will be interesting to see if they start landing more SD kids. Jacks have 29 on the roster, USD has 12. Zero in their junior and senior classes, with most of them redshirt freshmen or true freshmen.

Comment

Perhaps USD is now starting to do what State has been doing for the last couple of decades; building a program based upon a long term vision and culture. Going down the path that NDSU blazed long ago. That as opposed to building teams for the now. Perhaps there will be a culture change down there, and they see Josh as a good piece to setting that path.
                    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

The Jacks are the FCS champions. They will be able to attract a lot of strong candidates to coach wide receivers and other positions, if vacancies arise. The staff probably will end up even stronger.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Zim said on his podcast with Gaskins that Rogers has been receiving offers from elsewhere… any rumors on what schools wanted him?

Comment

Zim said on his podcast with Gaskins that Rogers has been receiving offers from elsewhere… any rumors on what schools wanted him?
                          Interesting, given him saying he was the future Jacks head coach in The Show

Comment

Washington State according to these two articles dated Jan 7th and Jan 8th. Here's a quote from the latter:

"WASHINGTON STATE IS set to hire Jeff Schmedding as its new defensive coordinator, per Pete Thamel of ESPN. There were signs pointing to Schmedding over the last week once it became clear South Dakota State's Jimmy Rogers was not on the table."

It's worth noting that the Schmedding hire was officially announced by WSU a few hours ago. He was Auburn's DC for the 2022 season.

Comment

Keep in mind Washington State Head Coach is Jake Dickert -- former Jacks Safeties coach - 2016

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Interesting, given him saying he was the future Jacks head coach in The Show
                                He still is. Hence why he turns down WSU. Man I love loyalty.

Comment

Working...
                                X