Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    What a comeback by Montana to beat Southeast Missouri, 34-24. Montana trailed 24-3 midway through the third quarter, then bounced to life and scored 31 straight points. Now they get a chance to go on the road and upset the Bison.
    Montana seems to like to do that to ya, the scoundrels.

Comment

Playoff attendance over Thanksgiving weekend is usually down, but here were numbers from round 1:
      Home Away Att. Home Team
      Delaware Saint Francis (PA) 4,629 W 56-17
      New Hampshire Fordham 2,989 W 52-42
      Eastern Kentucky Gardner-Webb 4,973 L 41-52
      Weber State North Dakota 4,495 W 38-31
      Montana SE Missouri State 13,390 W 34-24
      SE Louisiana Idaho 3,174 W 45-42
      Furman Elon 2,717 W 31-6
      Richmond Davidson 3,000 W 41-0

Comment

It's the playoffs... anything can happen!! That being said... If you're into Sagarin ratings, Montana State certainly received the toughest 2nd-round draw of the entire field. If they make it through Weber State, they'll almost certainly be in the semis. Sagarin's formula still is pretty high on Montana, will be interesting how they fare in Fargo.
        SagRtg SagRtg
        South Dakota State (1) 66 68 North Dakota State (3)
        Delaware 141 84 Montana
        def. Saint Francis (PA) 175 137 def. SE Missouri St.
        Holy Cross (8) 140 117 Samford (6)
        New Hampshire 163 135 Southeastern La.
        def. Fordham 170 118 def. Idaho
        William & Mary (5) 131 88 Univ of Incarnate Word (7)
        Gardner-Webb 158 111 Furman
        def. Eastern Kentucky 165 157 def. Elon
        Montana State (4) 87 70 Sacremento State (2)
        Weber State 95 136 Richmond
        def. North Dakota 128 235 def. Davidson

Comment

Originally posted by RahRahRabbits View Post
          Playoff attendance over Thanksgiving weekend is usually down, but here were numbers from round 1:
          Home Away Att. Home Team
          Delaware Saint Francis (PA) 4,629 W 56-17
          New Hampshire Fordham 2,989 W 52-42
          Eastern Kentucky Gardner-Webb 4,973 L 41-52
          Weber State North Dakota 4,495 W 38-31
          Montana SE Missouri State 13,390 W 34-24
          SE Louisiana Idaho 3,174 W 45-42
          Furman Elon 2,717 W 31-6
          Richmond Davidson 3,000 W 41-0
          Part of the reason playoff attendance usually drops is that schools have to pay the NCAA for the number of tickets they report. Unlike the regular season where actual vs reported attendance could be very different, especially with some programs.

Comment

Here's something interesting as well... I had read UND put in a very good offer for hosting a game, and felt wronged by the NCAA for picking Weber State to host instead... Turns out UND's big guaranteed the NCAA $127,500 vs Weber State's of $41,683.50. That's a pretty hefty discrepancy! Who knows if it would have made a difference... but it was ultimately a close game, with UND going for a potential game tying/go-ahead TD within the final minutes. Weber State moves on, only losing to Montana State and Sac State by a combined 8 points. They're dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by RahRahRabbits View Post
              Here's something interesting as well... I had read UND put in a very good offer for hosting a game, and felt wronged by the NCAA for picking Weber State to host instead... Turns out UND's big guaranteed the NCAA $127,500 vs Weber State's of $41,683.50. That's a pretty hefty discrepancy! Who knows if it would have made a difference... but it was ultimately a close game, with UND going for a potential game tying/go-ahead TD within the final minutes. Weber State moves on, only losing to Montana State and Sac State by a combined 8 points. They're dangerous.
              well that is definitely more than interesting

who are the experts here?? not me, but i thought the opening round games went to the team with the best bid. could these numbers be correct? i am wondering if you got some bad info here rahrah??

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

well that is definitely more than interesting

who are the experts here?? not me, but i thought the opening round games went to the team with the best bid. could these numbers be correct? i am wondering if you got some bad info here rahrah??
                You are correct that bids is one of the criteria, and in the past, it has been basically the only criteria. This year the committee broke tradition for some unknown reason and can only explain why they gave Weber the bid based on WSU being “rewarded” for a good season. The bid amounts cited above are correct. The NCAA left 85,000 on the table for some unknown reason that looks an awful lot like spite towards UND.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

You are correct that bids is one of the criteria, and in the past, it has been basically the only criteria. This year the committee broke tradition for some unknown reason and can only explain why they gave Weber the bid based on WSU being “rewarded” for a good season. The bid amounts cited above are correct. The NCAA left 85,000 on the table for some unknown reason that looks an awful lot like spite towards UND.
                  what can you say WOW
                  thanks for the interesting info RahRah and thank you for backing it up Mr T

seems like the committee kind of decided that a lot of the rules this year were more like guidelines. i am tired of thinking about all that but a lot of "interesting decisions" were made this year. obviously the jacks have a great situation so why should i care, but some consistency and the ability to know what to expect seems like it would be good

thanks again guys!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Part of the reason playoff attendance usually drops is that schools have to pay the NCAA for the number of tickets they report. Unlike the regular season where actual vs reported attendance could be very different, especially with some programs.
                    I've noticed the past couple seasons that the playoff ticket prices haven't the equivalent of the most expensive regular season game, as they'd been for playoff games a prior to 2019, which is a sign the NCAA is at least willing to relax those provisions. Too bad that still hasn't bumped us into five-figure playoff attendance rates.

Comment

what can you say WOW
                      thanks for the interesting info RahRah and thank you for backing it up Mr T

seems like the committee kind of decided that a lot of the rules this year were more like guidelines. i am tired of thinking about all that but a lot of "interesting decisions" were made this year. obviously the jacks have a great situation so why should i care, but some consistency and the ability to know what to expect seems like it would be good

thanks again guys!!
                      This was telegraphed by the committee chair almost three weeks ago. I was less irked by the UND-Weber State situation than I was SEMO being forced to go to Missoula, but there were extenuating circumstances with SEMO's facilities.

Comment

I KNOW there are some, possibly MANY, of you who pay far more attention than i do to the teams other than the jacks or outside of the MVFC.

SO are we looking at chalk on saturday? or who are the most likely upset choices

i feel like chalk is not a stupid bet, but it almost never goes completely chalk. i will take an uneducated stab at two games as the best chances for the seed to lose

i am really out of my area here, and since i know little i will take the easy / obvious road and pick on the lowest seed. it seems fair to say that the UNH vs HC matchup is a decent chance for the seeded team to fall. my guess (very much a GUESS) is that these teams are quite equally matched and this is a competitive game

i also feel like, based on the previous meeting, that Weber vs MSU is going to be competitive and probably entertaining. based on the previous meeting, ALSO in BOZEMAN (MSU played EVERY good team in their schedule in Bozeman), can we even say that MSU is the better team? it seems to me that if these teams played a bunch of 10 game series, neither team averages much over or under 5 wins.

does it simply come down to which team does the best job of cleaning up their troubles on special teams from the first meeting?? seems like more than a good chance MSU falls here
                        have to imagine BOTH teams are determined to show that the first meeting was a bit of a fluke. WHICH ONE will be more determined

really i am mostly in the dark. outside the MSU / Weber and the Montana / NDSU games i am quite unfamiliar with the other teams. i feel like Weber has a stronger chance for pulling the upset than the Griz do. i look foward to hearing what you all think

Comment

I KNOW there are some, possibly MANY, of you who pay far more attention than i do to the teams other than the jacks or outside of the MVFC.

SO are we looking at chalk on saturday? or who are the most likely upset choices

i feel like chalk is not a stupid bet, but it almost never goes completely chalk. i will take an uneducated stab at two games as the best chances for the seed to lose

i am really out of my area here, and since i know little i will take the easy / obvious road and pick on the lowest seed. it seems fair to say that the UNH vs HC matchup is a decent chance for the seeded team to fall. my guess (very much a GUESS) is that these teams are quite equally matched and this is a competitive game

i also feel like, based on the previous meeting, that Weber vs MSU is going to be competitive and probably entertaining. based on the previous meeting, ALSO in BOZEMAN (MSU played EVERY good team in their schedule in Bozeman), can we even say that MSU is the better team? it seems to me that if these teams played a bunch of 10 game series, neither team averages much over or under 5 wins.

does it simply come down to which team does the best job of cleaning up their troubles on special teams from the first meeting?? seems like more than a good chance MSU falls here
                          have to imagine BOTH teams are determined to show that the first meeting was a bit of a fluke. WHICH ONE will be more determined

really i am mostly in the dark. outside the MSU / Weber and the Montana / NDSU games i am quite unfamiliar with the other teams. i feel like Weber has a stronger chance for pulling the upset than the Griz do. i look foward to hearing what you all think

In my opinion, we are going to see 2-3 seeded teams lose this weekend. Holy Cross could be on upset alert. Montana State has a tough draw with Weber. Either Weber will prove that the first game was a fluke and their cleaned up special teams play this time around will give them a victory, or MSU will prove the first game was a fluke and it shouldn’t have been close. They made a lot of mistakes that game too. You almost can’t take anything away from their first game because it was weird all around for both teams.

Furman is looking tough, but I’d still lean UIW. However, UIW is in the midst of losing their coach this week to an FBS school and may be distracted.

I think William and Mary is safe this week against GWU. And I’d love to see Montana beat NDSU, but nothing has shown me Montana has the horses to do it.

The dark horse upset pick is Richmond at Sac State. Sac has beaten everybody they’ve played, including some really good teams. But they’ve also been in a position to lose all of those close games late and found a way to win. Combine that with their history of bowing out in the second round as a seeded team (2019 and 2021), and I think Richmond might take them down. The Spiders are a good team and I’m just not ready to believe it with Sac until they win a playoff game.

SELA at Samford is probably a toss up, and could likely be a very high scoring game. Samford can probably squeak it out at home, but it could go either way.

In order of safest to least for seeded teams this week, I’d go:

W&M
                          SDSU
                          NDSU
                          UIW
                          Sacramento
                          Samford
                          Montana State
                          Holy Cross

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

In my opinion, we are going to see 2-3 seeded teams lose this weekend. Holy Cross could be on upset alert. Montana State has a tough draw with Weber. Either Weber will prove that the first game was a fluke and their cleaned up special teams play this time around will give them a victory, or MSU will prove the first game was a fluke and it shouldn’t have been close. They made a lot of mistakes that game too. You almost can’t take anything away from their first game because it was weird all around for both teams.

Furman is looking tough, but I’d still lean UIW. However, UIW is in the midst of losing their coach this week to an FBS school and may be distracted.

I think William and Mary is safe this week against GWU. And I’d love to see Montana beat NDSU, but nothing has shown me Montana has the horses to do it.

The dark horse upset pick is Richmond at Sac State. Sac has beaten everybody they’ve played, including some really good teams. But they’ve also been in a position to lose all of those close games late and found a way to win. Combine that with their history of bowing out in the second round as a seeded team (2019 and 2021), and I think Richmond might take them down. The Spiders are a good team and I’m just not ready to believe it with Sac until they win a playoff game.

SELA at Samford is probably a toss up, and could likely be a very high scoring game. Samford can probably squeak it out at home, but it could go either way.

In order of safest to least for seeded teams this week, I’d go:

W&M
                            SDSU
                            NDSU
                            UIW
                            Sacramento
                            Samford
                            Montana State
                            Holy Cross
                            Thanks for the info Mr T. apparently i did have the same idea as you about the two seeds most likely to lose. i agree with you about Montana NOT showing any signs of being able to pull off the upset. i am not saying impossible, but i really think NDSU beats them close to 8 out of 10 times. especially away from Montana

interesting info on UIW and interesting perspective on Sac

on the first Weber / MSU game, i am pretty sure Weber had multiple returns for TDs. that is not as rare as giving up FOUR safeties but still awfully rare!! so totally agree with you. BOTH teams have reason to believe that they did not show WHO they are in the first game. i am not making a prediction. my feeling is that this game is almost a coin flip with probably the smallest possible edge to MSU for being at home

Comment

Hopefully the Deion Sanders to Colorado news isn't delaying announcement of next week's FCS playoff schedule.

Fortunately, tickets can already by purchased by season ticket holders on gojacks.com.

Comment

Gojacks has counter indicating Holy Cross game's on Fri, and Sam Herder's retweeted that Bison play early on 12/9.

If true, gonna be a late night Fri./early morning on Sat.

Comment

Working...
                                X