• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

Simple. It really values FBS wins.
    so basically as i said then
    these rankings bring the credibility of this system under question

a system that places more value on beating teams such as 1 and 5 colorado state ABOVE a close loss to last years big 10 division winner and a road win over last years fcs champion, both of whom have a lot back and continue to be respected nationwide, is a system worth questioning

but questioning, discussing, and debating is kind of what it is all about at this time of year anyway so it does accomplish the task of adding to the conversation

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

so basically as i said then
      these rankings bring the credibility of this system under question

a system that places more value on beating teams such as 1 and 5 colorado state ABOVE a close loss to last years big 10 division winner and a road win over last years fcs champion, both of whom have a lot back and continue to be respected nationwide, is a system worth questioning

but questioning, discussing, and debating is kind of what it is all about at this time of year anyway so it does accomplish the task of adding to the conversation
      The Big Sky and the Valley will both sort themselves out in the next few weeks. We have Weber St. vs MSU and UM vs. Sac State this week; UM vs. Weber St. and Idaho vs Sac State next week; EWU vs Idaho and Sac State vs Weber State 11/5; EWU vs. UM 11/12; and UM vs MSU on 11/19.

If the Jacks take care of business, they'll have nothing to worry about, and we can count on ranked Big Sky teams losing.

Comment

yeah definitely not worried about it. MOST of the time these things work out on the field. NOT ALWAYS but most of the time

i am simply pointing out that it seems at least questionable to have Sac St ahead of the jacks

these two teams played very recently on Sac St home field and Sac St lost. the two teams have not changed that much. the jacks and NOT significantly worse and i have no reason to believe that Sac St is significantly better
        so saying that because they beat 1 and 5 colorado st while the jacks lost a coin flip game to iowa they are now better than the jacks seems questionable

of course i am biased
        and i have been wrong twice before so maybe this could be the third time) haha

but it just seems that the eyeball scale tells a reasonable human that the jacks are better than Sac St and you should over ride your computer system trying to tell you differently

Comment

Check out masseyratings.com, college football composite, FCS. It takes 25 - 30 different ratings and mashes them together to rank the teams. Currently Weber St is 1, Sac St is 2, Holy Cross 3 and SDSU; NDSU fell to 10. This will give you a broad view over the various rankings; some good, some very bad. There is one ranking that has Robert Morris 1 and Houston Christian 2.

Still as the season progresses the composite usually gets very close to the field results.
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
            Check out masseyratings.com, college football composite, FCS. It takes 25 - 30 different ratings and mashes them together to rank the teams. Currently Weber St is 1, Sac St is 2, Holy Cross 3 and SDSU; NDSU fell to 10. This will give you a broad view over the various rankings; some good, some very bad. There is one ranking that has Robert Morris 1 and Houston Christian 2.

Still as the season progresses the composite usually gets very close to the field results.
            Wouldn't put much stock in the BCM ranking, as it appears Robert Morris and Houston Baptist are essentially "null"

Comment

Sac State wins vs. Grizz in game with its own share of controversy. Hornets face the Fightin' Ecks in Sacramento next.

Looks like I'll add a playoff officiating wish that we not get the crew that worked the Grizz-Hornets game.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                Sac State wins vs. Grizz in game with its own share of controversy. Hornets face the Fightin' Ecks in Sacramento next.

Looks like I'll add a playoff officiating wish that we not get the crew that worked the Grizz-Hornets game.
                I 2nd that…pretty sure he didn’t have control of the ball going out of bounds…and the officiating…don’t want that crew either. I watched part of the game on ESPN2. I’m wondering, any Missouri Valley teams been on ESPN2 yet this year??? What’s the deal??!!

Comment

Originally posted by 73alum View Post

I 2nd that…pretty sure he didn’t have control of the ball going out of bounds…and the officiating…don’t want that crew either. I watched part of the game on ESPN2. I’m wondering, any Missouri Valley teams been on ESPN2 yet this year??? What’s the deal??!!
                  Part of the Big Sky / ESPN agreement from 2021 was ESPNU would televise the following each year: two football games, one regular season basketball game, and the championship games for men & women's basketball. The first televised game this year was UC Davis / Montana on October 1st, and back in June, the game was originally slated as ESPN2 or ESPNU (ended up being ESPNU). Last night's game was originally set for ESPN2.

The MVFC/ESPN agreement is through 2023, so looks like we'll need to wait until 2024 before conference games pop up on the mothership assuming the MVFC gets a similar deal. Just in time for the SDSU/Murray State game (just kidding).

Comment

Originally posted by 73alum View Post

They did a good job negotiating their deal to get some games in ESPNU and ESPN2 but there is a very big difference with us and them. That game last night kicked off at 10 pm local time there aren’t a lot of options to put on ESPN2 at outside of rerunning the same college football final 4 times. In order for us to get a game it would have to be a prime time slot or early afternoon slot and I would bet even with a new deal in 2024 it’s not likely we get those time slots even if it’s for just a couple games a year.

Comment

Something called Stan Becton with an NCAA.com article with playoff projections puts SDSU as #1 seed, with potential matchup against #8 NDSU in the quarterfinals. And because it's a weird year with rest of MVFC seemingly down, these are the only Missouri Valley schools projected to make the cut. That's a far cry from the 6 MVFC schools (SDSU, NDSU, Southern Ill, USD, UNI, Missouri State) making it just last year. Not sure what to think of playing NDSU early. Clearly they've had our number in the playoffs several times, but facing them in Brookings has the potential to be much better than Fargo, or a potential South-Fargo trip for whatever that's worth.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...nth-selections

Of course... this is all speculation far into the future. Jacks just need to go take care of business the next 3 weeks and make the #1 seed an easy decision.

Comment

Originally posted by RahRahRabbits View Post
                        Something called Stan Becton with an NCAA.com article with playoff projections puts SDSU as #1 seed, with potential matchup against #8 NDSU in the quarterfinals. And because it's a weird year with rest of MVFC seemingly down, these are the only Missouri Valley schools projected to make the cut. That's a far cry from the 6 MVFC schools (SDSU, NDSU, Southern Ill, USD, UNI, Missouri State) making it just last year. Not sure what to think of playing NDSU early. Clearly they've had our number in the playoffs several times, but facing them in Brookings has the potential to be much better than Fargo, or a potential South-Fargo trip for whatever that's worth.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...nth-selections

Of course... this is all speculation far into the future. Jacks just need to go take care of business the next 3 weeks and make the #1 seed an easy decision.
                        If NDSU wins out, which is very possible, they likely end up somewhere between 2 and 5, depending on how the Big Sky shakes out.. Would like to see them at 2 or 3, which would mean avoiding them until a potential Frisco game, if we take care of business.

Comment

October 23, 2022 FCS COACHES POLL (taken from the NCAA.com official site)

Current rank; School; (last week's rank)

1. SDSU (1)
                          2. Montana State (2)
                          3. Sacramento State (3)
                          4. NDSU (4)
                          5. Jackson State (6)
                          6. Chattanooga (8)
                          7. Weber (5)
                          8. Holy Cross (9)
                          9. Incarnate Word (10)
                          10. Montana (7)

Others of interest (well, at least to me!)
                          23 The 'Fightin' Ecks of Idaho (24)
                          24 Southern Illinois (17)
                          Getting votes (#): St. Thomas (17); Illinois State (4); UND (2).

Comment

October 23, 2022, STATS PERFORM POLL (from the NCAA.com official site)

Current rank; School; (last week's rank)

1. SDSU (1)
                            2. Sacramento State (2)
                            3. Montana State (3)
                            4. NDSU (4)
                            T-5. Weber State (5)
                            T-5 Holy Cross (6)
                            7. Chattanooga (10)
                            8. Incarnate Word (8)
                            9. Jackson State (9)
                            10. William & Mary (12)

Others of local interest
                            11. Montana (7)
                            14 Idaho (17)
                            20. Southern Illinois (14)
                            23. UND (20)
                            Geting votes (#votes): Illinois State (26);

coach Eck’s Vandals ranked 24.

Comment

Seriously what with the lack of respect for the valley strength this year? My thoughts are the Missouri State downfall is proof that every week in the valley you have to bring it or your gonna get beat. All the BS that the Big sky is so so much better and maybe the even the CAA or Socon. There main argument is S Illinois slow start with loses to SEMO and Inc Word. How can the view the entire conference off of one teams slow start?I do think the big sky might have a slight edge but as we can all see now there are holes that ship also.
                              Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
                                Seriously what with the lack of respect for the valley strength this year? My thoughts are the Missouri State downfall is proof that every week in the valley you have to bring it or your gonna get beat. All the BS that the Big sky is so so much better and maybe the even the CAA or Socon. There main argument is S Illinois slow start with loses to SEMO and Inc Word. How can the view the entire conference off of one teams slow start?I do think the big sky might have a slight edge but as we can all see now there are holes that ship also.
                                I think the Big Sky is unquestionably the best conference this year. The champion may still come from the MVFC, but the the top 5 teams in the Big Sky are all top 10ish teams. The Valley has two top 10 teams and we got crushed out of conference this year. The CAA doesn’t have the top level teams of the Valley or Big Sky this year, but they have a lot of teams in that 10-20 range. The Valley is down this year for sure. Not the top teams, but our 3rd beat team is one loss away from being on the playoff bubble. MSU was overrated to begin with, and now that’s showing. UNI and ISUr took too many losses early to be in serious consideration. USD, WIU, YSU are all out of contention too. The Valley this year is SDSU, NDSU, and maybe SIU. UND is going to need to win out to have a quality win at 8-3. 7-4 without a ranked win might not get them in. SIU at 7-4 with an FBS win should be in, but that’s it. The Big Sky has Idaho, Montana, Montana State, Weber, and Sac State which are all easy top 10 teams at the moment. If UC Davis wins out (beating Sac and Idaho in the process) the Big Sky will get a sixth team in. Like I said, the champion may still end up a Valley team, but the Big Sky is the deepest and most competitive conference this year and it’s not really close.

Comment

Working...
                                X