No announcement yet.

GDT: South Dakota (10/8/22)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. After USD's initial, game-starting drive, the Jacks' defense really showed up. Very impressive. The offense had some really good moments but isn't in full sync yet. Special teams have some work to do.
    This space for lease.

Comment

I hope USD keeps their head coach, Bob Nielson, around for years to come. He's got some good skill players, but he doesn't get much out of them, and he doesn't inspire the Yotie fan base. His team is terribly undisciplined, too. Some of the penalties USD players got in the SDSU game were juvenile. One defender belatedly dove on top of a pile. Another one declined to leave the game for a play, as rules dictate, after his helmet got knocked off. Elementary stuff.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Very good win, overall, and a great showing by the fans. The Jacks have a tough, two-game road stretch now - at NDSU and at UND = but both games are winnable. Go, Jacks!
        This space for lease.

Comment

Lord that was fun yesterday. Great weather, huge crowd. The offense came together to control the ball with nearly 5 yds per carry rushing. With 22 first downs the Jacks were at 3rd down only 12 times. Jackrabbit D was lights out after the first USD drive. Camp, in the role of the Jean Genie, was sacked 7 times and never got a look at 2nd receiver option. Before the last USD drive, SDSU had 22 1st downs to USD's 2.

I haven't had that much fun at a USD game since the Great Joey Fatone Pillow Fight of 2014.
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            My pregame guess on the score: SDSU 49, USD 3.

I got one team's score correct.

The Jacks were in control early in this game...nice day to be outdoors.

I'd guess the number of USD fans in the stands was somewhere in the range of 400 to maybe 500. Any other guesses? I talked to a few...all nice people.
            I think they could've had a couple hundred more, but I'd be shocked if they had anything greater than 1k

Comment

Victory Sunday is the best and the best way to start it is by reading the Rants & Raves. #GoJacks
              https://jackrabbitillustrated.com/20...ves-usd-3.html
              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                I hope USD keeps their head coach, Bob Nielson, around for years to come. He's got some good skill players, but he doesn't get much out of them, and he doesn't inspire the Yotie fan base. His team is terribly undisciplined, too. Some of the penalties USD players got in the SDSU game were juvenile. One defender belatedly dove on top of a pile. Another one declined to leave the game for a play, as rules dictate, after his helmet got knocked off. Elementary stuff.
                Just curious -- are plays like the "headless 'Yote-man" reviewable?

​​​​​I ask because I believe the player doesn't have to leave game if the helmet was knocked off due to a penalty, so if helmet were removed due to illegal hands to face, he potentially could've stayed in.

At that point, it wouldn't have made sense for Nielson to challenge it, but it could have been handled similar to targeting where replay independently reviews

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                  Victory Sunday is the best and the best way to start it is by reading the Rants & Raves. #GoJacks
                  Another superb post.

My niece, who attended her first Jacks game, called Adam Bock "legendary," and said she'd definitely want to attend another Jacks game.

I was impressed with the Jacks' discipline, particularly after multiple 'Yote unsportsmanlike penalties in 2nd half.

I'll echo your rant about south side postgame traffic. It still baffles me that they funnel traffic to quadrant where drivers will encounter pedestrians trying to cross Jackrabbit Ave.

Prior years allowed folks to head north to bypass and largely avoid the pedestrian issue, and that worked fine. Hopefully they'll eventually return to that regimen, and yes, I've emailed Jeff Holm imploring a revision of the current arrangement.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    My pregame guess on the score: SDSU 49, USD 3.

I got one team's score correct.

The Jacks were in control early in this game...nice day to be outdoors.

I'd guess the number of USD fans in the stands was somewhere in the range of 400 to maybe 500. Any other guesses? I talked to a few...all nice people.
                    i dont know how many were on the west side but i would say 400 would be about right

Comment

For those wanting an easier way to leave campus after a big game, and I shouldn't give this out because it might ruin the situation. We park southwest of The Union. The walk to the stadium is a bit longer, but we can get off campus quickly down Campanile. Yesterday, rather than going east to I29 we went out on Medary, then 8th and then Main and out on 217th St to I29. That bypassed all of the traffic.
                      Last edited by Prairiehaas; 10-09-2022, 11:18 AM.
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                        One additional rave for the the D-line and O-line. SDSU had 7 sacks and 8 TFLs. USD had 0 sacks and 1 TFL. That, to me, explains the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                          For those wanting an easier way to leave campus after a big game, and I shouldn't give this out because it might ruin the situation. We park southeast of The Union. The walk to the stadium is a bit longer, but we can get off campus quickly down Campanile. Yesterday, rather than going east to I29 we went out on Medary, then 8th and then Main and out on 217th St to I29. That bypassed all of the traffic.
                          Used to park south of Daktronics Engineering Building, and it's even easier, but that's not an option now given one family member's mobility issues.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Just curious -- are plays like the "headless 'Yote-man" reviewable?

​​​​​I ask because I believe the player doesn't have to leave game if the helmet was knocked off due to a penalty, so if helmet were removed due to illegal hands to face, he potentially could've stayed in.

At that point, it wouldn't have made sense for Nielson to challenge it, but it could have been handled similar to targeting where replay independently reviews
                            There was no penalty that I recall, and the play wasn't reviewed.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Just curious -- are plays like the "headless 'Yote-man" reviewable?...
                              I keep laughing about jakejc’s naming of the “Headless Yote-man”.

(Think about Washington Irving’s creation of the Headless horseman in “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow”. That guy threw his unattached pumpkin head at the terrified Ichabod Crane and then disappeared into thin air.)

As this season continues, we’ll have to watch for news of the Headless Yote-man. If USD has the Headless Yote-man, perhaps the Dakota Dome should take on the nickname Sleepy Hollow? (Like Penn State’ Beaver Stadium’s nickname “Happy Valley”.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post

There was no penalty that I recall, and the play wasn't reviewed.
                                Right, the play wasn't reviewed, but the 'Yote was penalized for playing without a helmet

Comment

Working...
                                X