Coaching Staff Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Not real sure about co-coordinators. Would perfer one, i feel like having position coaches also eith coordinating duties is difficult to get the full attention those positionsl coaches could have.
    I'm going to assume that the vast majority of Coordinators, from High School through the NFL, are also a position coach?

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
      OC/QB and OC/TE ok but not OC/OL. OL has 20 roster players plus redshirt freshmen and that is a huge group to coach without any other responsibilities. OL takes a lot of time, reps and technique so coaching a large group needs full commitment by a coach.
      I both agree and disagree. It is the largest position group, so a lot to focus on just with that. At the same time, you are also already the coach of basically 1/2 of the offensive players, so you are very in tune to the offense.

Comment

I think as long as Lujan has the main play calling duties it will be fine. Let Olson focus on the O Line and have key input directly to the play caller. I am excited about Bobbit as well. Will be interesting to see who fills the last couple holes in the staff.

Comment

All I can figure is that the Coaching staff weighed the time needed to get an outside hire OC to gel in the existing system vs hiring internally to keep some semblance of stability. Otherwise, this move does not make sense to me. Stability is definitely important so it may have been the best move, but that’s the only real selling point to this set up from my perspective. It was a very attractive job that would have had many qualified applicants. How long it took to “settle in” May have been the deciding factor though.

And I think both Olsen and Lujan are talented and don’t doubt their ability. I just think that an outside hire with more play calling experience may have been a better option and that if you hire internally, just give it to one guy. We will see. Like I said, Stig has made good staffing decisions in the past. I hope this turns out to be another.

Comment

WE had a run game coordinator (Eck) and a passing game coordinator (Schluesner), and Eck was the OC.

New system seems pretty much the same, just need to decide who is calling the plays. (and they probably have that ironed out)

I'm not worried.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
              All I can figure is that the Coaching staff weighed the time needed to get an outside hire OC to gel in the existing system vs hiring internally to keep some semblance of stability. Otherwise, this move does not make sense to me. Stability is definitely important so it may have been the best move, but that’s the only real selling point to this set up from my perspective. It was a very attractive job that would have had many qualified applicants. How long it took to “settle in” May have been the deciding factor though.

And I think both Olsen and Lujan are talented and don’t doubt their ability. I just think that an outside hire with more play calling experience may have been a better option and that if you hire internally, just give it to one guy. We will see. Like I said, Stig has made good staffing decisions in the past. I hope this turns out to be another.
              I definitely think and HOPE that is correct. you would think there would have been a long line of people very interested in taking the OC job. that said this was never going to be a simple hire. NO DOUBT familiarity with the system and this region were priorities!! but for the reasonably safe assumption that MANY would be interested in this job, i am kind of thinking this means that neither of Schluesner or Josh Davis were interested in the job. obviously i do not know anything and i could be completely wrong!!!!! but i think both of those would have been preferable to this

that said hiring good assistants has been a huge strength of this HC and program and i am willing to trust them!!!!! it will be interesting to see how long the leash is with two significantly inexperienced coaches. i am sure, unfortunately, that too many in the fan base will not be very patient

this is a huge opportunity for these two and if they succeed it puts both of them on the fast track to a head coaching gig, although i think it goes a LONG way toward solidifying JR as the frontrunner to replace Stig. I/ We could all be so wrong about that though. i still see the same 4 in front that i saw a year ago and longer. in no particular order, Eids, Jackson, Rodgers, Eck. btw is lujan even 30 years old yet? i am guessing he is 28 or 29

i am very pleased and excited about the Bobbit hire

curious?? does anyone have info?? how much do you think we recruit for these positions?? do you think anyone reaches out to candidates they would like to at least have interview/ think would be good fit? do you think anyone reached out to Josh Davis about any of the positions/ OC?? or do they strictly talk to the people who apply. my guess is that they do reach out but they are not too aggressive about it, especially of course to coaches they already have relationships with like Davis and Bobbit

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

I definitely think and HOPE that is correct. you would think there would have been a long line of people very interested in taking the OC job. that said this was never going to be a simple hire. NO DOUBT familiarity with the system and this region were priorities!! but for the reasonably safe assumption that MANY would be interested in this job, i am kind of thinking this means that neither of Schluesner or Josh Davis were interested in the job. obviously i do not know anything and i could be completely wrong!!!!! but i think both of those would have been preferable to this

that said hiring good assistants has been a huge strength oLujanf this HC and program and i am willing to trust them!!!!! it will be interesting to see how long the leash is with two significantly inexperienced coaches. i am sure, unfortunately, that too many in the fan base will not be very patient

this is a huge opportunity for these two and if they succeed it puts both of them on the fast track to a head coaching gig, although i think it goes a LONG way toward solidifying JR as the frontrunner to replace Stig. I/ We could all be so wrong about that though. i still see the same 4 in front that i saw a year ago and longer. in no particular order, Eids, Jackson, Rodgers, Eck. btw is lujan even 30 years old yet? i am guessing he is 28 or 29

i am very pleased and excited about the Bobbit hire

curious?? does anyone have info?? how much do you think we recruit for these positions?? do you think anyone reaches out to candidates they would like to at least have interview/ think would be good fit? do you think anyone reached out to Josh Davis about any of the positions/ OC?? or do they strictly talk to the people who apply. my guess is that they do reach out but they are not too aggressive about it, especially of course to coaches they already have relationships with like Davis and Bobbit
                Lujan was a juco transfer (FR at Chabot in 2013) prior to time with Jacks, so I suspect he's closer to 26, turning 27 this year.

I wonder if it wasn't necessarily that Schleusner and Davis weren't interested in OC but that the rumor may be that the HC gig is Rogers' to lose at this point, so they had concerns that accepting OC now could lead to stagnation.

Of the names you mentioned, Eidsness would be my favorite if Rogers isn't chosen; this is largely due to my perception that "successful" Valley HCs tend to have expertise on defense. Of course, Nick Hill is an exception, but I'll never be a member of his fan club.

Also, if Bobbit is hired and succeeds, I'd be a fan of Rogers as HC with Bobbit as his DC.

Comment

Coach Eck said on a Idaho fan hosted show that Coach Schleusner had the offer to be OC at SDSU but chose the Idaho OC job over it.

Comment

Co-coordinators isn’t just an SDSU thing. I saw tonight that Miami hired a co-oc.

Comment

• Originally posted by salemjack View Post
                      Coach Eck said on a Idaho fan hosted show that Coach Schleusner had the offer to be OC at SDSU but chose the Idaho OC job over it.
                      Money talks. It sure isn’t the program there.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/mikefprater/stat...724389891?s=21

Comment

• Interesting comparison between Petrino's contract & Eck's proposed one. Highlights include:
                          • Lower base salary ($191k vs. $175k)
                          • Lower media payment bonus ($255k versus $125k)
                          • No specific automobile allowance mentioned for Petrino
                          • Same GPA bonus [with increased GPA required (2.6 vs. 2.75)]
                            • Note: Petrino's contract had escalating GPA provision of 2.5 in 2017 to 2.6 in 2019
                          • Decreased APR bonus w/reduced capped amount ($20k if 960 achieved versus $10k)
                            • Note: Petrino's teams had to exhibit increased APR in 2017-18 & 2018-19 (965-984 & 970-989) to continue receiving $20k bonus
                          • Same FCS Conference Coach of Year bonus
                          • Reduced National Coach of Year bonus ($15k vs. $5k)
                          • Same Conference Championship bonus (with Eck's proposed contract adding co-champion option)
                          • Petrino had $15k "top 5 FCS ranking bonus" not shown for Eck, while Eck has $5k "FCS Playoff Appearance" not mentioned in Petrino's contract)
                          • Reduced "FBS win" bonus ($10k vs. $5k)
                          • Added FCS First & Second Round, Quarterfinal, Semifinal & Championship bonuses of $2k, $3k, $5k, $7k & $10k, respectively for Eck that I didn't notice for Petrino

Comment

• The fact Schluesner picked Idaho over us makes me mad. I get it, maybe a turn around at Idaho will help him get a bigger job faster than continuing the success here at SDSU, but I forget this decision if he’s ever in the conversation for anything here ever again. It also reminds me why it’s advantageous to hire people who bleed yellow and blue, like Rogers and Bobbit. Our success will continue regardless of assistant coaches due to the continued investment and dedication of everyone around the program. GBGBGJ

Comment

• This may be crazy but I keep thinking back to Backus' comment about something needs to change in the program. Would bringing in someone with ties to NDSU be beneficial. IMO there is something intangible within that program. Not sure what it is, but it's there. They've had what 2 head coaches leave for FBS programs in the last 10 or so years? And here they are back in the finals again.

Comment

• Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                                This may be crazy but I keep thinking back to Backus' comment about something needs to change in the program. Would bringing in someone with ties to NDSU be beneficial. IMO there is something intangible within that program. Not sure what it is, but it's there. They've had what 2 head coaches leave for FBS programs in the last 10 or so years? And here they are back in the finals again.
                                All of the problems we have are good ones. We have become a perennial contender as where for decades we were very average. That means coaches will get bigger opportunities and we need to find other quality people to fill their places. Heck, that is what you want. If not, you probably aren't doing very well.

So, you hear comments like what Backus it would be great to know more specifics. However, the only part of that which is really any of our business is the fans aspect. We keep getting better every year but when you look at some of the other top teams, we have a long way to go. {[url/]https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zach/which-fcs-football-programs-have-the-best-home-attendance-27b4dd82b7b6[/url] That article shows FCS attendance for 2020.

#1 Montana - 24,055
                                #4 NDSU - 18,186
                                #6 Montana State - 17,910
                                #16 SDSU - 11,959

In 2021, we averaged 14,166 per game according to the box scores for each of the home games. That would put us at #11 on the list for 2020. Sorry, couldn't find a list on google for 2021 numbers. We draw well for Hobo Day and NDSU but the rest there a lot of open seats, We saw the atmosphere in Bozeman. We know what it is like in Fargo. The difference is that those fan bases bring it every week!

I love how far we have come to get to this point. My gosh, the improvement in facilities, the improvement in the quality of athletes at the FCS level versus D2, and even better attendance. But getting back to Backus comments, who knows what those final ingredients are but we are close. Filling the Dana is what we can do! For all the games!

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X