Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coaching Staff Thoughts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

    Schleusner was an FCS OC prior to having what'll be Davis' new role, so I'm not sure it's as aberrant as one may think. What co-coordinators are you referring to?

    A month or two back Stig had said that there would be co-coordinators between Luajn and Olsen. At that time, Lujan was supposed to be the passing game coordinator while Olsen was the run game coordinator, or at least that was my understanding. That’s why I’m confused about Davis being listed as pass game coordinator.


    Comment


    • The January 7th press release names Lujan as offensive coordinator.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post


        A month or two back Stig had said that there would be co-coordinators between Luajn and Olsen. At that time, Lujan was supposed to be the passing game coordinator while Olsen was the run game coordinator, or at least that was my understanding. That’s why I’m confused about Davis being listed as pass game coordinator.

        Zim tweeted a refutation of that weeks ago specifying Lujan was sole OC with Rogers sole DC (salemjack even mentioned it earlier in this thread), and the coaching roster doesn't list any co-coordinators.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          The January 7th press release names Lujan as offensive coordinator.
          I wonder if Davis' return was in the works as long as some of us have speculated, and that was one factor that caused nixing of any offensive co-coordinating structure. I never understood why some thought a return to SDSU wasn't in cards for Davis.

          Regardless, I'm excited to see how he and Bobbit excel in their new roles.

          Comment


          • to begin, i think maybe stigs biggest strength has been hiring and developing assistant coaches and creating unified and synergistic coaching staffs! so i am MORE than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and trust that this will work out

            that said, i feel like if i were doing this, i would have waited to hire a full staff before making decisions on cooridinators, at least on offense. JR on D was kind of a no brainer and i dont know if i can imagine anyone they would have thought about pairing with him to recreate/ continue the co DC setup

            it appears to us outsiders that davis as OC and lujan as qb and pass cooridinator would have been a bit more natural, but i have no doubt that they will work together very well and as the program continues to excel there will be plenty of credit and opportunity to go around

            it does make me wonder just a little if there was some thought that lujan might go to idaho along with the other two and they felt they needed to give him a carrot to keep him and maintain continuity. i mostly doubt that is what did or would happen. but i am mildly curious

            Comment


            • Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
              to begin, i think maybe stigs biggest strength has been hiring and developing assistant coaches and creating unified and synergistic coaching staffs! so i am MORE than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and trust that this will work out

              that said, i feel like if i were doing this, i would have waited to hire a full staff before making decisions on cooridinators, at least on offense. JR on D was kind of a no brainer and i dont know if i can imagine anyone they would have thought about pairing with him to recreate/ continue the co DC setup

              it appears to us outsiders that davis as OC and lujan as qb and pass cooridinator would have been a bit more natural, but i have no doubt that they will work together very well and as the program continues to excel there will be plenty of credit and opportunity to go around

              it does make me wonder just a little if there was some thought that lujan might go to idaho along with the other two and they felt they needed to give him a carrot to keep him and maintain continuity. i mostly doubt that is what did or would happen. but i am mildly curious
              Lujan has the advantage of having remained connected to the program in the years Davis was at Northwestern. Plus, if we ignore Schleusner's post-UND career path, you could also look to Bergstrom's for a more recent/relevant example of how being a coordinator at a lower division (and he was at Augie rather than NAIA) doesn't preclude the person from starting as a position group coach.

              Hedberg at NDSU has been a DII head coach and FCS OC, and he's now a QB coach/passing game coordinator. Side note, I looked at UNI's coaching roster and ol' Skeletor's really running a skeleton crew.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

                Lujan has the advantage of having remained connected to the program in the years Davis was at Northwestern. Plus, if we ignore Schleusner's post-UND career path, you could also look to Bergstrom's for a more recent/relevant example of how being a coordinator at a lower division (and he was at Augie rather than NAIA) doesn't preclude the person from starting as a position group coach.

                Hedberg at NDSU has been a DII head coach and FCS OC, and he's now a QB coach/passing game coordinator. Side note, I looked at UNI's coaching roster and ol' Skeletor's really running a skeleton crew.
                i agree with your thoughts and the spirit of your post

                i guess i am thinking more about the fact that Lujan just has really minimal time as a coach. but i do agree with you about the remaining connected. again i fully expect all of this to work out very well and i think both of them will have bigger opportunities in the future

                Comment


                • Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

                  i agree with your thoughts and the spirit of your post

                  i guess i am thinking more about the fact that Lujan just has really minimal time as a coach. but i do agree with you about the remaining connected. again i fully expect all of this to work out very well and i think both of them will have bigger opportunities in the future
                  While he'd have the least amount of time overall, he has the most working with the prospective QBs, RBs, and WRs, with QB being paramount given two QBs favored to be high on the depth chart returning from injury (assuming Voss hasn't supplanted Gibbs and Mason indeed remains at QB).

                  Speaking of QBs, I'd also be curious about Lujan's influence in getting Oladokun and Mason to transfer here, because if he had much, that merits reward.

                  Comment


                  • Maybe its just me, but I see a lot of Stig in Lujan. Just overall demeanor, calm, friendly etc. not very outspoken and just plain nice.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

                    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by goon View Post
                      Maybe its just me, but I see a lot of Stig in Lujan. Just overall demeanor, calm, friendly etc. not very outspoken and just plain nice.
                      without question, he earned a lot of respect and a special place with Stig for the way he handled the competition and outcome of the situation with TC. at the same time, i am sure that he handled all of that in EXACTLY the way that Stig thought he would.

                      some here have cast doubt on it but there is NO QUESTION that Stig and his coaches place a very high premium on recruiting players with extremely high character. they are not, therefore, surprised when that character shows in the actions of those players

                      i actually really cannot think of too many stars or players we have ever had who were what anyone would call outspoken. calm and softspoken and let the playing do the talking is kind of the norm

                      Ranek, Zenner, Weineke, TC, Rozeboom, Backhaus, Pierre, Gardner and lot more all let the play do the talking

                      i think the most flashy least soft spoken i can think of would be Goedert and he was/ is far from loud. the jankes have a little bit of brashness it appears. one of my VERY ALL TIME favs JeRyan Butler had a little flash but largely i think you described not only Lujan but kind of the typical Stig player in general

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

                        While he'd have the least amount of time overall, he has the most working with the prospective QBs, RBs, and WRs, with QB being paramount given two QBs favored to be high on the depth chart returning from injury (assuming Voss hasn't supplanted Gibbs and Mason indeed remains at QB).

                        Speaking of QBs, I'd also be curious about Lujan's influence in getting Oladokun and Mason to transfer here, because if he had much, that merits reward.
                        Oladoukun did an ask me anything on a Reddit draft page a while ago and I remember him saying Lujan was his favorite coach at SDSU. I also remember Lujan talk about the process of getting someone who fit the system and he made it sound like he was the sole recruiter of Chris. Some of you may have some experience doubts about Lujan but IMO he’s a star in the making.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

                          without question, he earned a lot of respect and a special place with Stig for the way he handled the competition and outcome of the situation with TC. at the same time, i am sure that he handled all of that in EXACTLY the way that Stig thought he would.

                          some here have cast doubt on it but there is NO QUESTION that Stig and his coaches place a very high premium on recruiting players with extremely high character. they are not, therefore, surprised when that character shows in the actions of those players

                          i actually really cannot think of too many stars or players we have ever had who were what anyone would call outspoken. calm and softspoken and let the playing do the talking is kind of the norm

                          Ranek, Zenner, Weineke, TC, Rozeboom, Backhaus, Pierre, Gardner and lot more all let the play do the talking

                          i think the most flashy least soft spoken i can think of would be Goedert and he was/ is far from loud. the jankes have a little bit of brashness it appears. one of my VERY ALL TIME favs JeRyan Butler had a little flash but largely i think you described not only Lujan but kind of the typical Stig player in general
                          Goedert first came to mind for me, not necessarily for being "outspoken," but rather for not being afraid to "poke the bear ... er Bison," but as I thought more about it, I think Cade Johnson had more "swagger"

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

                            without question, he earned a lot of respect and a special place with Stig for the way he handled the competition and outcome of the situation with TC. at the same time, i am sure that he handled all of that in EXACTLY the way that Stig thought he would.

                            some here have cast doubt on it but there is NO QUESTION that Stig and his coaches place a very high premium on recruiting players with extremely high character. they are not, therefore, surprised when that character shows in the actions of those players

                            i actually really cannot think of too many stars or players we have ever had who were what anyone would call outspoken. calm and softspoken and let the playing do the talking is kind of the norm

                            Ranek, Zenner, Weineke, TC, Rozeboom, Backhaus, Pierre, Gardner and lot more all let the play do the talking

                            i think the most flashy least soft spoken i can think of would be Goedert and he was/ is far from loud. the jankes have a little bit of brashness it appears. one of my VERY ALL TIME favs JeRyan Butler had a little flash but largely i think you described not only Lujan but kind of the typical Stig player in general
                            I should clarify, as i meant more like a coaching in the making he is like a mini Stig. but i wouldnt disagree with anything you said in regard to the players.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

                            Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by salemjack View Post

                              Oladoukun did an ask me anything on a Reddit draft page a while ago and I remember him saying Lujan was his favorite coach at SDSU. I also remember Lujan talk about the process of getting someone who fit the system and he made it sound like he was the sole recruiter of Chris. Some of you may have some experience doubts about Lujan but IMO he’s a star in the making.
                              Yes i pretty much remember hearing that Lujan was a BIG part of bringing him in. not sure i heard the only part but definitely a big part

                              and i really do not mean to imply having doubt. i think i have said that i fully expect it to go well. but i was still and am a bit surprised by it. and that is almost totally to do with limited experience. but i think everyone here has done an excellent job of pointing out good reasons for the decision. that said i would not have been disappointed with him and davis positions the other way. both good choices and both i think have bright futures

                              i do think, however, that all of these events point to JR being the strong favorite on the current staff and maybe overall to be the next HC

                              Comment


                              • Why did the strength and conditioning coach leave SDSU football and get out of football? Money has to be the answer. This coach is far more important to player development than people realize so it’s a huge mistake by J Sell to not find some money to pay coach Moe.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X