Coaching Staff Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    Why would Josh Davis not be considered for OC? And why would he come back to the same position as he left w/out being the OC?
    i apologize. i misspoke by using the word considered, in my original post, which prompted your question. i think if he applies for the job he would VERY LIKELY be considered. what i should have said was, I highly doubt he would be hired for that position. that said it seems to me that he shows the potential to be very much an up and coming coach with potential to be a star and my guess is that Stig and others would be very excited to get him back on staff

i have no idea if that is what he wants. there are a lot of routes he could go and maybe he wants to wait for another naia school to offer him HC. he might already be potential candidate for D2 HC jobs or close to it. i wonder if he applied for the job Bergy just got. again IF he wants to come back my guess is we will try hard to make it work.

and i totally recognize your point about him already leaving from the position coach position here!! that is a valid and complicating factor!! but i have doubts that the powers that be are going to think OC at naia can move directly to OC at FCS. in addition he is still relatively young and minimally experienced

i think a VERY good and valid comparison is Eck was OC at very successful D2 and he came here as strictly position coach. there are definitely different levels within the position coaches. for instance around the time eck became o line coach Lujan became rb coach. clearly one of them had a lot more experience. i am not going to speak for how Stig and our staff look at the position coaches. i have never been in that room and maybe they all have a totally equal voice, but i do not think that anyone would really view those two as being equal even if they had technically the same position. i will, however, guess Eck pay was higher, reflecting the difference in experience but maybe i am wrong about that too.

i guess my point is even if davis did come back to same position, he would come back as a more senior member of the staff. and i really do not think that ANYONE would think going from naia to FCS was a demotion, despite the already recognized fact that he had the positon before. that all said, i think the passing game coord position and title solves the problem.

finally all of this from me is only speculation. i think my guesses are slightly more educated than many but also less educated than some. and IF they DID hire him to be the next OC i would VERY MUCH expect some fans and even some people who are supposed to have informed opinions about coaching hires to be critical and say things like they should have been able to do better than getting a guy from an naia school. but as far as i am concerned IF they go through the process and they decide that josh davis is the guy for the job, i will have absolutely ZERO problem trusting in the people and the process and giving him every benefit of the doubt and every opportunity to show that he will be part of taking this program even further

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      Im sure some would say eck coming here as oline coach was a demotion. We got a steal but msu was making changes so he sort of got squeezed out it seemed iirc. Worked out well for him.
      You can probably tell that I don't buy the "resume building" trope. There are multiple examples of folks coaching in pros only to become college coordinators/assistants (e.g., O'Brien with "Tide") and potentially head coaches again (more than likely in college), so moving from DII coordinator to FCS assistant, back to coordinator, to eventual head coach didn't necessarily stifle Eck's advancement and could be seen as in investment that, as you mentioned, paid off for him
      Last edited by jakejc795; 01-01-2022, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

i apologize. i misspoke by using the word considered, in my original post, which prompted your question. i think if he applies for the job he would VERY LIKELY be considered. what i should have said was, I highly doubt he would be hired for that position. that said it seems to me that he shows the potential to be very much an up and coming coach with potential to be a star and my guess is that Stig and others would be very excited to get him back on staff

i have no idea if that is what he wants. there are a lot of routes he could go and maybe he wants to wait for another naia school to offer him HC. he might already be potential candidate for D2 HC jobs or close to it. i wonder if he applied for the job Bergy just got. again IF he wants to come back my guess is we will try hard to make it work.

and i totally recognize your point about him already leaving from the position coach position here!! that is a valid and complicating factor!! but i have doubts that the powers that be are going to think OC at naia can move directly to OC at FCS. in addition he is still relatively young and minimally experienced

i think a VERY good and valid comparison is Eck was OC at very successful D2 and he came here as strictly position coach. there are definitely different levels within the position coaches. for instance around the time eck became o line coach Lujan became rb coach. clearly one of them had a lot more experience. i am not going to speak for how Stig and our staff look at the position coaches. i have never been in that room and maybe they all have a totally equal voice, but i do not think that anyone would really view those two as being equal even if they had technically the same position. i will, however, guess Eck pay was higher, reflecting the difference in experience but maybe i am wrong about that too.

i guess my point is even if davis did come back to same position, he would come back as a more senior member of the staff. and i really do not think that ANYONE would think going from naia to FCS was a demotion, despite the already recognized fact that he had the positon before. that all said, i think the passing game coord position and title solves the problem.

finally all of this from me is only speculation. i think my guesses are slightly more educated than many but also less educated than some. and IF they DID hire him to be the next OC i would VERY MUCH expect some fans and even some people who are supposed to have informed opinions about coaching hires to be critical and say things like they should have been able to do better than getting a guy from an naia school. but as far as i am concerned IF they go through the process and they decide that josh davis is the guy for the job, i will have absolutely ZERO problem trusting in the people and the process and giving him every benefit of the doubt and every opportunity to show that he will be part of taking this program even further
        I tend to agree with much of what you posted here. I think it's a mistake to argue, or at least suggest, that a 2015 WR coaching gig with Jacks would be viewed the same as a 2022 one. As you mentioned, if his goal is to be a head coach, even at NAIA, it seems likely that succeeding as an assistant at an FCS "power" could make him a much more competitive applicant.

Plus, the new WR coach could be assigned additional special teams/recruiting duties that would "pad" an eventual coordinator/head coach resume.

Lastly, the opensd site lists Eck's salary as $94,870, while Lujan's is $46,439, so you are likely correct about them having a considerable pay differential for some time

Comment

Can the Jacks convince Jed Stugart from Lindenwood to be the OC and associate head coach? He is a great recruiter and an excellent coach. Did a super job at USF and turned around Lindenwood whose only loss this past season was to the Jacks. Maybe a promise to be head coach in a few years?

Comment

The OC job will be probably in-house and probably is done. No hurry to release OC news and will come after things slow down a bit in Stigs office. A few coaches to hire and get the staff organized over the holidays wasn’t a priority.

Comment

Pat Shurmur (OC, Denver Broncos) will be available in a week or so...not that we'd want him...
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakPirate View Post
                Can the Jacks convince Jed Stugart from Lindenwood to be the OC and associate head coach? He is a great recruiter and an excellent coach. Did a super job at USF and turned around Lindenwood whose only loss this past season was to the Jacks. Maybe a promise to be head coach in a few years?
                No way that should happen, particularly when his background is on defense. If you want to pluck the USF coaching tree, go after Riggs

Comment

I think Josh Davis is certainly qualified to be in the ring of potential OC's, and I would be happy if he is hired. I will most likely (at least in the short term, only time will tell down the road) be happy with whoever Stig chooses, whether it's an in-house promotion, a familiar name returning, or somebody completely new.

And you never know why somebody may or may not be interested in a position. I'm sure there's some coaches who's life/coaching/career goal is to build their resume to be a Power 5 Head Coach and will make as many moves as possible to get there. Whether their goal is for the glory, the money, or the self satisfaction of the amount of hard work it would take to get there.

I'm sure there are other coaches out there that are completely content at staying at a lower level position coach, knowing they have (for the most part) job security, an income they can live on, a house/town/school district that their family and kids can be raised in and call home, forever. Who knows, maybe Josh Davis is completely content raising a family in Orange City, does not want to move, probably works slightly less hours (although still a TON) at a NAIA than a FCS, is home more for a young family, etc.

Comment

I have no idea who will be hired, and I don't know if it will come in house or from outside, but I trust that it will be a good coach.

Track record has been pretty good.

Comment

Zimmer tweet:
                      Working to confirm, but what I’m hearing about SDSU football coaching staff: Ryan Olson to move from tight ends to OL. Olson and Zach Lujan to serve as co-offensive coordinators. Jesse Bobbit in talks to replace Brian Bergstrom as safeties coach.

That would leave openings for a receivers coach and a tight ends coach. Jimmy Rogers will be sole defensive coordinator after sharing the role with Bergstrom.

Comment

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...782359050?s=21

Comment

Not real sure about co-coordinators. Would perfer one, i feel like having position coaches also eith coordinating duties is difficult to get the full attention those positionsl coaches could have.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

If you are going to have co-coordinators, it makes sense for the QB coach be one of them. And since Lujan doesn't have coordinator experience, Olson brings that into the mix.

Comment

OC/QB and OC/TE ok but not OC/OL. OL has 20 roster players plus redshirt freshmen and that is a huge group to coach without any other responsibilities. OL takes a lot of time, reps and technique so coaching a large group needs full commitment by a coach.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                If you are going to have co-coordinators, it makes sense for the QB coach be one of them. And since Lujan doesn't have coordinator experience, Olson brings that into the mix.
                                I was leery of the OL/OC dual role after Eck had it, but I'm anxious to see what influence the co-OC structure might have when half of the bident is Eckian

Regardless, I'm intrigued by Bobbit as safeties coach. His experience in Pac-12, which is generally known for passing offenses, could pay dividends.

Comment

Working...
                                X