Coaching Staff Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

I wonder if part of this is a combination of prospective employers questioning whether Bison assistants' success is due to their own ability or to the Bison "system" and reputation and assistants not necessarily being in a rush to leave a team likely to contend for the national championship every season.

In the Jacks case, I think assistants can point to marked system/scheme adaptation; for instance, the Jacks' offense transitioned from Sumner to Lujan to Christion to Gibbs to Gronowski with varying levels of TE and RB involvement and sustained OL ascendance, and on defense from blue chip DBs (e.g., Butler and Brown) with LBs being a strength for over a decade to the DL and defense overall being among the conference's, if not the nation's, best.

Regarding Keeler there was talk of him being less than keen on the move to FBS and being mentioned as a contender for Delaware HC gig, but trustees purportedly blocked that. The fact that Carty, a Keeler assistant's hiring was approved by the same group at UD suggests we may not want to exclude subordinates of coaches we're not the biggest fans of
    Guessing that NDSU likely pays their assistants more ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Guessing that NDSU likely pays their assistants more ?
      Dan Larson-NDSU OL coach made $75,000.

Comment

[QUOTE=jakejc795;n520654]

I wonder if part of this is a combination of prospective employees questioning whether Bison assistants' success is due to their own ability or to the Bison "system" and reputation and assistants not necessarily being in a rush to leave a team likely to contend for the national championship every season.

In the Jacks case, I think assistants can point to marked system/scheme adaptation; for instance, the Jacks' offense transitioned from Sumner to Lujan to Christion to Gibbs to Gronowski with varying levels of TE and RB involvement and sustained OL ascendance, and on defense from blue chip DBs (e.g., Butler and Brown) with LBs being a strength for over a decade to the DL and defense overall being among the conference's, if not the nation's, best.

Regarding Keeler there was talk of him being less than keen on the move to FBS and being mentioned as a contender for Delaware HC gig, but trustees purportedly blocked that. The fact that Carty, a Keeler assistant's hiring was approved by the same group at UD suggests we may not want to exclude subordinates of coaches we're not the biggest fans of[/QUOTE]

YEP totally agree. as i said i know that sometime or OFTEN??? i do make strong opinionated statements, but i do truly believe what i said that black and white rules are not possible!! EVERY person deserves to be measured on their own merit. you cannot just say i will never hire a former assistant to this coach or that one

but that said, i would ask specific questions of a former assistant of one of those coaches so that i could truly assess their ability to fit in

ALSO, i think you make several GREAT points about ndsu and sdsu assistants leaving and staying. i would also add that ndsu has had two head coaches move up while we have had Stig for a very long time. when there is a chance that top guy moves up then everybody else has a chance to move up the ladder. with the guy at the top probably never leaving until retirement our assistants have probably had more of a need to move on in order to move up. obviously that ground has been covered a lot and i do not have a lot of interest in doing more of it, but without question there are both good and bad to every circumstance. it is great to have stability in a head coach!!! but we have definitely had some promising assistants move on.

maybe some or one will come back. who knows? i do not think any of our former assistants who have moved on are overly good options to come back to the current positions. i could see Josh davis as a candidate for one of the positions but i really doubt he would be considered for OC. maybe WR coach and maybe pass game cooridinator

Comment

Why would Josh Davis not be considered for OC? And why would he come back to the same position as he left w/out being the OC?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            Why would Josh Davis not be considered for OC? And why would he come back to the same position as he left w/out being the OC?
            Suppose it depends on what he's earning at Northwestern College, but it seems likely to be less than the $72k Schleusner was being paid, and nothing against, Orange City, but I'd much prefer living in Brookings.

Comment

Suppose it depends on what he's earning at Northwestern College, but it seems likely to be less than the $72k Schleusner was being paid, and nothing against, Orange City, but I'd much prefer living in Brookings.
              Coaches are looking to move up, not return to a familiar school only to have the same position they had 5 years prior.

Comment

Coaches are looking to move up, not return to a familiar school only to have the same position they had 5 years prior.
                Moving from Northwestern College to SDSU is a move up, particularly when you look at how WR cohorts have evolved since Davis' first stint here.

Eidsness returned as OC after previous OC tenure, and few would argue that his choice stifled his advancement.

Comment

Moving from Northwestern College to SDSU is a move up, particularly when you look at how WR cohorts have evolved since Davis' first stint here.

Eidsness returned as OC after previous OC tenure, and few would argue that his choice stifled his advancement.
                  Sorry disagree. Moving back to SDSU for your old position is not a resume builder. We are not talking about moving back to a coordinator position. And Eidsness moved back from SMSU where had a record of 26-40 (I may be missing a season). Eidsness also left when SDSU was Div II and returned to FCS.

Comment

Sorry disagree. Moving back to SDSU for your old position is not a resume builder. We are not talking about moving back to a coordinator position. And Eidsness moved back from SMSU where had a record of 26-40 (I may be missing a season). Eidsness also left when SDSU was Div II and returned to FCS.
                    I too disagree if your argument is that the Jacks WR corps hasn't realized sustained success and progression since Davis left that would allow him to cite it as evidence of coaching acumen, provided his players and recruits continue to sustain that group's progress

I also struggle with the implication that remaining as Northwestern College's OC or only accepting an FCS coord. role is more of a "resume builder" than returning as Jacks' WR coach/passing game coord. when the prospective coach's predeccessor has reportedly been able to leverage that role to become another FCS school's OC.

Comment

I too disagree if your argument is that the Jacks WR corps hasn't realized sustained success and progression since Davis left that would allow him to cite it as evidence of coaching acumen, provided his players and recruits continue to sustain that group's progressOC.
                      Never was said that.

Davis had 6 of his SDSU WRs reach top 10 in career receptions while he was there.
                      ‘Schleusner is moving on with Eck. It is not like Schleusner is getting hired from another FCS school by himself.

Comment

Never was said that.

Davis had 6 of his SDSU WRs reach top 10 in career receptions while he was there.
                        And Wieneke and Johnson continued that trend after he left.

One need look no further than Schleusner's journey from UND for yet another refutation of your "resume building" argument. He was OC there, but he opted to accept the WR coaching gig at SDSU afterward, and he's reportedly been promoted since then

Comment

And Wieneke and Johnson continued that trend after he left.

One need look no further than Schleusner's journey from UND for yet another refutation of your "resume building" argument. He was OC there, but he opted to accept the WR coaching gig at SDSU afterward, and he's reportedly been promoted since then
                          Schleusner was looking for a job when the new Schweigert regime came in at UND.

*last post as we are not going to agree. Happy New Year!

Comment

Schleusner was looking for a job when the new Schweigert regime came in at UND.

*last post as we are not going to agree. Happy New Year!
                            And Davis could be looking for a job too and be open-minded enough to acknowledge that if one coach can transition from FCS OC to TE coach to WR/passing game coord. and back to OC, then an NAIA coach could indeed view a move from OC back to FCS WR coach as a similar means of career advancement, particularly given the increased national attention given to the Jacks since 2015

If anything, most would view Schleusner's move from UND to SDSU as potentially more detrimental to his career path, as it was an FCS to FCS "demotion"

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! i totally KNOW that there are NO guarantees, but i really think that minus grono getting injured on our first or second offensive possession of the shsu game the jacks are spring and fall 2021 champs. and back to back defending champs going in to next fall
                              I agree. He doesnt get hurt we win the championship last year no doubt. Probably win it even with oladokun if he was the backup.

I just hope he still has thst same magic. Sometimes after injuries it takes awhile to get back to taht high level.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Im sure some would say eck coming here as oline coach was a demotion. We got a steal but msu was making changes so he sort of got squeezed out it seemed iirc. Worked out well for him.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X