No announcement yet.

Coaching Staff Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the OC position be filled from within by a promotion, or does it have to be posted ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      Can the OC position be filled from within by a promotion, or does it have to be posted ?
      Can be filled within but a "staff" position needs to be posted.

Comment

I’ve heard Schleusner is following Eck.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinRabbit View Post
          Can't tell what you're suggesting. Are talking about Schleusner being promoted to OC? My point is that Olson is the tight ends coach. He played line in college and has mostly coached line. He is probably better suited toward that position than tight ends.
          That makes more sense the way you explained it here. I just want the best possible person coaching that line. We got spoiled by Eck on that o-line, I don't want drop off, if Olson is the best fit, then hire him. That is for Stig to decide and he has a good track record of doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            I’ve heard Schleusner is following Eck.
            That one might hurt, he recruits the Chicago area, which has been bountiful for us recently.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post

That one might hurt, he recruits the Chicago area, which has been bountiful for us recently.
              Well if he does go, I will wish him the best and i appreciate what he has done while here, but i will guess that we will continue to do fine recruiting the chicago area. if i am remembering correctly, we actually have two coaches working to recruit the chicago area. i have no idea which one, if either, brought in the most kids/ good players, but i will guess they both did fine. beyond that our FB and MBB program have always recruited chicago. it has LONG been the area that we recruited outside of the SD, MN base. since moving to D! football has also developed very successful connections in AZ along with growing our recruiting in IA and NE and WI (i think that is wisconsin? haha)

Comment

I think promoting Schleusner is almost a no brainer, but if he's following Eck, who knows?

We've promoted from within pretty much every time for OC (except for EE's 2nd stint, I think) EE was QB coach first, Meadows and Eck were OL.

With Schleusner being the "passing game coordinator" he seems like the next logical step.

If he goes with Eck... wonder if Lujan is someone Stig would consider? Or, would he look outside the program?

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

Well if he does go, I will wish him the best and i appreciate what he has done while here, but i will guess that we will continue to do fine recruiting the chicago area. if i am remembering correctly, we actually have two coaches working to recruit the chicago area. i have no idea which one, if either, brought in the most kids/ good players, but i will guess they both did fine. beyond that our FB and MBB program have always recruited chicago. it has LONG been the area that we recruited outside of the SD, MN base. since moving to D! football has also developed very successful connections in AZ along with growing our recruiting in IA and NE and WI (i think that is wisconsin? haha)
                  Recruiting areas for coaches can be found on coaching staff list:
                  https://gojacks.com/sports/football/coaches

Comment

thanks UWM i have not looked at the list in a while, but if i recall Eck had wisconsin. that might be a concern. i guess i am not sure who have been our best kids from wisconsin, but i do feel like we have had at least a few good ones. and i do not recall us ever doing very much recruiting in that state before so it seems possible those were relationships that Eck already had or developed after his arrival here and maybe some kids from wisconsin will not want to go all the way to idaho, but you have to think he will continue to lean on the relationships he has in that area

i will also say that i do NOT want to give impression that i really have an expert opinion about this topic. maybe i am wrong and we have gotten more kids from wisconsin prior to Eck arrival

but i feel like historically we have focused on SD and MN and have always gotten some kids from chicago. i feel like we did a little more business in IA toward the end of D2 days but i feel like we got a lot more kids from MN than we did from IA prior to moving up

since move more from IA and big success in AZ and NE, and more work in wisconsin in the last 5-8 years. again maybe i am way off but that is the way i recall it

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
                      thanks UWM i have not looked at the list in a while, but if i recall Eck had wisconsin. that might be a concern. i guess i am not sure who have been our best kids from wisconsin, but i do feel like we have had at least a few good ones. and i do not recall us ever doing very much recruiting in that state before so it seems possible those were relationships that Eck already had or developed after his arrival here and maybe some kids from wisconsin will not want to go all the way to idaho, but you have to think he will continue to lean on the relationships he has in that area

i will also say that i do NOT want to give impression that i really have an expert opinion about this topic. maybe i am wrong and we have gotten more kids from wisconsin prior to Eck arrival

but i feel like historically we have focused on SD and MN and have always gotten some kids from chicago. i feel like we did a little more business in IA toward the end of D2 days but i feel like we got a lot more kids from MN than we did from IA prior to moving up

since move more from IA and big success in AZ and NE, and more work in Wisconsin in the last 5-8 years. again maybe i am way off but that is the way i recall it
                      You know I have always been less than impressed with the number of kids from Wisconsin especially with the ties to the state from from Eck. NDSU does an excellent job here (l live in WI). We have done much better in Illinois. I think Wisconsin is untapped potential for us. Specifically in the southern part of the state (easy access to Brookings along the interstate.) It is only Wisconsin, there are no FCS, let a long any D2 schools. It would seem to me that we would do better in Wisconsin rather than Illinois with a state that has 4 other FCS schools, and 3 FBS.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post

You know I have always been less than impressed with the number of kids from Wisconsin especially with the ties to the state from from Eck. NDSU does an excellent job here (l live in WI). We have done much better in Illinois. I think Wisconsin is untapped potential for us. Specifically in the southern part of the state (easy access to Brookings along the interstate.) It is only Wisconsin, there are no FCS, let a long any D2 schools. It would seem to me that we would do better in Wisconsin rather than Illinois with a state that has 4 other FCS schools, and 3 FBS.
                        Spencer Erickson (From Wisconsin and student coach at Oshkosh), Rob Erickson (Coached at Whitewater and played at Platteville), and Ryan Olson (from Wisconsin and played at Whitewater) also have ties to Wisconsin. We should be better at recruiting there.
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Are any of those guys comfortable recruiting high end FCS/G5 talent?

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

Spencer Erickson (From Wisconsin and student coach at Oshkosh), Rob Erickson (Coached at Whitewater and played at Platteville), and Ryan Olson (from Wisconsin and played at Whitewater) also have ties to Wisconsin. We should be better at recruiting there.
                            I have no clue how recruiting works in the big picture. It could be something like it is not fiscally responsible to invest much time and money to recruit WI? Maybe it is better to fly to Chicago and visit 10 schools/recruits in a day or two than drive to WI and visit 5 schools/recruits in a day or two? I have no idea other than I am sure there is more that goes into it than any of us know.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

Recruiting areas for coaches can be found on coaching staff list:
                              https://gojacks.com/sports/football/coaches
                              I didn't know Lujan had Nebraska. Almost should put Rodgers there. Omaha/Lincoln are another place that SDSU should excel.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post

I have no clue how recruiting works in the big picture. It could be something like it is not fiscally responsible to invest much time and money to recruit WI? Maybe it is better to fly to Chicago and visit 10 schools/recruits in a day or two than drive to WI and visit 5 schools/recruits in a day or two? I have no idea other than I am sure there is more that goes into it than any of us know.
                                Oh you are 100% right. There are so many schools in or near Chicago that it makes sense form that standpoint. Its just bizarre that with all the connections we have to Wisconsin we can't get a "Hey, you should check out this kid..." type of deal and find a hidden gem. I'm also not saying they're not trying but it is just feels surprising.
                                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                                X