Coaching Staff Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching Staff Thoughts

With Eck leaving there are some questions on how Stig replaces both the OC & OL position.

Hire within for OC to keep some continuity.
    Schleusner to OC? Lujan to OC?

Ryan Olson to OL? Schleusner back to TE?

Will Eck try to take any coaches with him? Not sure what pay salary Idaho assistants make. Looking at roster their is a lot of Ca & Northwest US. Lujan playing JUCO in Ca & being from Alaska may seem like someone from current staff that could be looked at. Eck has been at many places so his coach contacts has to be large.

Is it common in FCS that coordinators also still coach a position group ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      Is it common in FCS that coordinators also still coach a position group ?
      I've posted about this before, and position groups are relatively common (Eck's OC/OL combo was an anomaly). For instance, NDSU has Roehl as OC & TEs/FBs; MSU has Housewright and Banks as OC/QB & DC/DBs, respectively; and JMU has Hetherman as DC/DL with Shanahan as OC/WRs

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
        With Eck leaving there are some questions on how Stig replaces both the OC & OL position.

Will Eck try to take any coaches with him? Not sure what pay salary Idaho assistants make. Looking at roster their is a lot of Ca & Northwest US. Lujan playing JUCO in Ca & being from Alaska may seem like someone from current staff that could be looked at. Eck has been at many places so his coach contacts has to be large.
        I wondered if Lujan might be a target/have interest in potential Vandals gig.

Riggs was mentioned as a possible DeBoer hire with Huskies, but I wonder if he'd be interested in OC gig if Jacks expand search and want to "make a splash"

Comment

Good lord, Riggs would be a fantastic hire if he has any interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
            Good lord, Riggs would be a fantastic hire if he has any interest.
            2nd that. Maybe convince he needs a new challenge. I would go for that.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

I wondered if Lujan might be a target/have interest in potential Vandals gig.

Riggs was mentioned as a possible DeBoer hire with Huskies, but I wonder if he'd be interested in OC gig if Jacks expand search and want to "make a splash"
              Not happening. Would be a huge pay cut for Riggs
              It's just an old Army trick I learned in the Navy.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitfarmer View Post

Not happening. Would be a huge pay cut for Riggs
                Did you also predict he'd be raking in the cash podcasting and analyzing games for Midco and SDPB?

Being the OC when Jacks win their first national championship would be quite a springboard to more lucrative opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

I kinda doubt anyone will follow Eck. He has so many other connections outside the program I guarantee he had a list long before he accepted the job.
                  Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

I'm going to throw out Josh Davis into the mix. Strong ties to the Jacks. What he has done at NW is pretty impressive. Plus, I think he is guys who we can hold onto for while.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackwagon View Post
                      I'm going to throw out Josh Davis into the mix. Strong ties to the Jacks. What he has done at NW is pretty impressive. Plus, I think he is guys who we can hold onto for while.
                      I could see that. Davis OC/WR, Olson OL, Schleusner TE.

Comment

I think they'll move Schleusner to OC. Olson to OL being as he played it in college winning 3 national titles. I'd like this.

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinRabbit View Post
                          I think they'll move Schleusner to OC. Olson to OL being as he played it in college winning 3 national titles. I'd like this.
                          There are a lot of guys who have played on National Title teams, doesn't mean they should automatically be promoted. I don't know much about Olson, I am sure he is fine, but I would rather get someone more experienced. Eck was an O-coordinator at Mankato State during their National title runs. He had over 15 years of coaching when we hired him. We have been one of the top teams in the country for a while now, we are going to attract some good candidates, don't just hire a guy because he works with us.

Comment

Can't tell what you're suggesting. Are talking about Schleusner being promoted to OC? My point is that Olson is the tight ends coach. He played line in college and has mostly coached line. He is probably better suited toward that position than tight ends.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post

There are a lot of guys who have played on National Title teams, doesn't mean they should automatically be promoted. I don't know much about Olson, I am sure he is fine, but I would rather get someone more experienced. Eck was an O-coordinator at Mankato State during their National title runs. He had over 15 years of coaching when we hired him. We have been one of the top teams in the country for a while now, we are going to attract some good candidates, don't just hire a guy because he works with us.
                              Moving from TE to OL position is a lateral move and one that makes sense due to Olson being a former lineman. He is probably better suited as OL coach than TE coach?

Comment

Working...
                              X