X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YanktonJack7
    replied
    Originally posted by salemjack View Post
    Coach Eck said on a Idaho fan hosted show that Coach Schleusner had the offer to be OC at SDSU but chose the Idaho OC job over it.
    Money talks. It sure isn’t the program there.

Leave a comment:

• Carolina010
    replied
    Co-coordinators isn’t just an SDSU thing. I saw tonight that Miami hired a co-oc.

Leave a comment:

• salemjack
    replied
    Coach Eck said on a Idaho fan hosted show that Coach Schleusner had the offer to be OC at SDSU but chose the Idaho OC job over it.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied
    Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

I definitely think and HOPE that is correct. you would think there would have been a long line of people very interested in taking the OC job. that said this was never going to be a simple hire. NO DOUBT familiarity with the system and this region were priorities!! but for the reasonably safe assumption that MANY would be interested in this job, i am kind of thinking this means that neither of Schluesner or Josh Davis were interested in the job. obviously i do not know anything and i could be completely wrong!!!!! but i think both of those would have been preferable to this

that said hiring good assistants has been a huge strength oLujanf this HC and program and i am willing to trust them!!!!! it will be interesting to see how long the leash is with two significantly inexperienced coaches. i am sure, unfortunately, that too many in the fan base will not be very patient

this is a huge opportunity for these two and if they succeed it puts both of them on the fast track to a head coaching gig, although i think it goes a LONG way toward solidifying JR as the frontrunner to replace Stig. I/ We could all be so wrong about that though. i still see the same 4 in front that i saw a year ago and longer. in no particular order, Eids, Jackson, Rodgers, Eck. btw is lujan even 30 years old yet? i am guessing he is 28 or 29

i am very pleased and excited about the Bobbit hire

curious?? does anyone have info?? how much do you think we recruit for these positions?? do you think anyone reaches out to candidates they would like to at least have interview/ think would be good fit? do you think anyone reached out to Josh Davis about any of the positions/ OC?? or do they strictly talk to the people who apply. my guess is that they do reach out but they are not too aggressive about it, especially of course to coaches they already have relationships with like Davis and Bobbit
    Lujan was a juco transfer (FR at Chabot in 2013) prior to time with Jacks, so I suspect he's closer to 26, turning 27 this year.

I wonder if it wasn't necessarily that Schleusner and Davis weren't interested in OC but that the rumor may be that the HC gig is Rogers' to lose at this point, so they had concerns that accepting OC now could lead to stagnation.

Of the names you mentioned, Eidsness would be my favorite if Rogers isn't chosen; this is largely due to my perception that "successful" Valley HCs tend to have expertise on defense. Of course, Nick Hill is an exception, but I'll never be a member of his fan club.

Also, if Bobbit is hired and succeeds, I'd be a fan of Rogers as HC with Bobbit as his DC.

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    All I can figure is that the Coaching staff weighed the time needed to get an outside hire OC to gel in the existing system vs hiring internally to keep some semblance of stability. Otherwise, this move does not make sense to me. Stability is definitely important so it may have been the best move, but that’s the only real selling point to this set up from my perspective. It was a very attractive job that would have had many qualified applicants. How long it took to “settle in” May have been the deciding factor though.

And I think both Olsen and Lujan are talented and don’t doubt their ability. I just think that an outside hire with more play calling experience may have been a better option and that if you hire internally, just give it to one guy. We will see. Like I said, Stig has made good staffing decisions in the past. I hope this turns out to be another.
    I definitely think and HOPE that is correct. you would think there would have been a long line of people very interested in taking the OC job. that said this was never going to be a simple hire. NO DOUBT familiarity with the system and this region were priorities!! but for the reasonably safe assumption that MANY would be interested in this job, i am kind of thinking this means that neither of Schluesner or Josh Davis were interested in the job. obviously i do not know anything and i could be completely wrong!!!!! but i think both of those would have been preferable to this

that said hiring good assistants has been a huge strength of this HC and program and i am willing to trust them!!!!! it will be interesting to see how long the leash is with two significantly inexperienced coaches. i am sure, unfortunately, that too many in the fan base will not be very patient

this is a huge opportunity for these two and if they succeed it puts both of them on the fast track to a head coaching gig, although i think it goes a LONG way toward solidifying JR as the frontrunner to replace Stig. I/ We could all be so wrong about that though. i still see the same 4 in front that i saw a year ago and longer. in no particular order, Eids, Jackson, Rodgers, Eck. btw is lujan even 30 years old yet? i am guessing he is 28 or 29

i am very pleased and excited about the Bobbit hire

curious?? does anyone have info?? how much do you think we recruit for these positions?? do you think anyone reaches out to candidates they would like to at least have interview/ think would be good fit? do you think anyone reached out to Josh Davis about any of the positions/ OC?? or do they strictly talk to the people who apply. my guess is that they do reach out but they are not too aggressive about it, especially of course to coaches they already have relationships with like Davis and Bobbit

Leave a comment:

• da_coach
    replied
    WE had a run game coordinator (Eck) and a passing game coordinator (Schluesner), and Eck was the OC.

New system seems pretty much the same, just need to decide who is calling the plays. (and they probably have that ironed out)

I'm not worried.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied
    All I can figure is that the Coaching staff weighed the time needed to get an outside hire OC to gel in the existing system vs hiring internally to keep some semblance of stability. Otherwise, this move does not make sense to me. Stability is definitely important so it may have been the best move, but that’s the only real selling point to this set up from my perspective. It was a very attractive job that would have had many qualified applicants. How long it took to “settle in” May have been the deciding factor though.

And I think both Olsen and Lujan are talented and don’t doubt their ability. I just think that an outside hire with more play calling experience may have been a better option and that if you hire internally, just give it to one guy. We will see. Like I said, Stig has made good staffing decisions in the past. I hope this turns out to be another.

Leave a comment:

• salemjack
    replied
    I think as long as Lujan has the main play calling duties it will be fine. Let Olson focus on the O Line and have key input directly to the play caller. I am excited about Bobbit as well. Will be interesting to see who fills the last couple holes in the staff.

Leave a comment:

• mnjackrbt
    replied
    Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
    OC/QB and OC/TE ok but not OC/OL. OL has 20 roster players plus redshirt freshmen and that is a huge group to coach without any other responsibilities. OL takes a lot of time, reps and technique so coaching a large group needs full commitment by a coach.
    I both agree and disagree. It is the largest position group, so a lot to focus on just with that. At the same time, you are also already the coach of basically 1/2 of the offensive players, so you are very in tune to the offense.

Leave a comment:

• mnjackrbt
    replied
    Originally posted by goon View Post
    Not real sure about co-coordinators. Would perfer one, i feel like having position coaches also eith coordinating duties is difficult to get the full attention those positionsl coaches could have.
    I'm going to assume that the vast majority of Coordinators, from High School through the NFL, are also a position coach?

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied
    Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    If you are going to have co-coordinators, it makes sense for the QB coach be one of them. And since Lujan doesn't have coordinator experience, Olson brings that into the mix.
    I was leery of the OL/OC dual role after Eck had it, but I'm anxious to see what influence the co-OC structure might have when half of the bident is Eckian

Regardless, I'm intrigued by Bobbit as safeties coach. His experience in Pac-12, which is generally known for passing offenses, could pay dividends.

Leave a comment:

• Hareofthedog
    replied
    OC/QB and OC/TE ok but not OC/OL. OL has 20 roster players plus redshirt freshmen and that is a huge group to coach without any other responsibilities. OL takes a lot of time, reps and technique so coaching a large group needs full commitment by a coach.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied
    If you are going to have co-coordinators, it makes sense for the QB coach be one of them. And since Lujan doesn't have coordinator experience, Olson brings that into the mix.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied
    Not real sure about co-coordinators. Would perfer one, i feel like having position coaches also eith coordinating duties is difficult to get the full attention those positionsl coaches could have.

Leave a comment:

• salemjack
    replied
    https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...782359050?s=21

Leave a comment:

Working...
X