Holy Cross Pre-game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Cross Pre-game

Everyone studying the Holy Cross Crusaders?

I assume the Crusaders are reviewing Saturday's game in Fargo. The Jacks had a lot of time to install some new plays and it seems the Jacks have a surprise or two ready for the Bison when appropriate. But, we didn't have to reveal our hand very much -- our running game was working well against a tough Bison defense. Our freshman quarterback is playing like a seasoned veteran and he's probably hoping to show his passing ability. So maybe the surprises -- always entertaining -- will be unveiled Saturday?

The Crusaders' three victories during this COVID-marred season are:
    Holy Cross 20, Lehigh 3 (played March 13)
    Holy Cross 34, Fordham 24 (played March 27)
    Holy Cross 33, Bucknell 10 (played April 17).

SDSU and HC have not met on the gridiron in the past; but, both beat teams nicknamed Bison on Saturday.

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Everyone studying the Holy Cross Crusaders?

I assume the Crusaders are reviewing Saturday's game in Fargo. The Jacks had a lot of time to install some new plays and it seems the Jacks have a surprise or two ready for the Bison when appropriate. But, we didn't have to reveal our hand very much -- our running game was working well against a tough Bison defense. Our freshman quarterback is playing like a seasoned veteran and he's probably hoping to show his passing ability. So maybe the surprises -- always entertaining -- will be unveiled Saturday?

The Crusaders' three victories during this COVID-marred season are:
    Holy Cross 20, Lehigh 3 (played March 13)
    Holy Cross 34, Fordham 24 (played March 27)
    Holy Cross 33, Bucknell 10 (played April 17).

SDSU and HC have not met on the gridiron in the past; but, both beat teams nicknamed Bison on Saturday.
    Tickets purchased.

Any East Coast folks making the trip to Brookings, I promise to be hospitable to "east side" fans, but all bets are off when the Jacks are on defense because I'll be "bringing the noise"

Comment

I got on at 12:01 and wasnt able to get seats on the west side. So we are in the east side

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
        I got on at 12:01 and wasnt able to get seats on the west side. So we are in the east side
        I know the feeling. I waited longer than 12:01 though.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Timing is everything in life lol....I'll repost what I posted in the Playoff Hosting thread here:

Just to give you guys a quick history primer on who you're facing Saturday. I'll post here as I don't see a game-day thread yet. It's Patriot's Day here in Massachusetts so I have some time while I watch the Sox.

Here is the wiki on HC Football: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_C...aders_football

To sort of supplement this, HC was somewhat of a national power from the 1930-early 1960s. They were coached then mostly by Dr Eddie Anderson who went to Iowa in between 2 stops at HC. Coach Anderson is in the College Football HoF. Holy Cross played mostly a schedule of other Eastern Independents (Syracuse, Penn St, BC) and other New England/Ivies back then.

The school decided to deephasize football by the 1970s. This was a result of a few factors, a hepatitis outbreak in 1969 shortened the season (sound familiar?) to 2 games, coeducation started at HC in 1972 which cut down on the male enrollment and simply the size of the school made playing FBS football untenable.

HC football did have a resurgence when we joined 1-AA in 1982 and through the next decade under Coach Carter and Duffner, HC was regularly one of the best teams at that level.

HC dropped giving scholarships by 1991 as a result of joining the Patriot League (then known as the Colonial League) in 1986. HC mostly floundered around in the non-scholarship PL-era, occasionally breaking through to have a good season.

With the resumption of scholarships, the building of the Luth indoor facility and the hiring of Coach Chesney, there has been an excitement in the program not seen mostly since the 1980s.

Hope that helps a bit and oh, as a Pats fan, thanks for Adam Vinatieri!

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks, HC87. I hope there's a good contingent of HC fans in the stands. Attendance will be limited to about 4,850 and people will be spread out. The temp continues to be predicted as below normal...upper 40s and partly cloudy may be the best we can do. I acquired my tickets just after noon...these teams deserve a good crowd so I hope all 4,850 tickets are sold.

Comment

Hey HC87, whats up buddy?

SDSU is going to be a major challenge for the Crusaders. I hope the HC defensive line can put some pressure on the quarterback.
              I think you might see a few Cross fans and parents.

The drive for me in Woostah (Worcester) would be 22 hours.

Headline of the Telegram and Gazette Sport Page
              "HC football not worried about latest challenge: meet No. 1 South Dakota St. in FCS playoffs"

Maybe someday down the road in the playoffs, SDSU will have to travel to Fitton Field.

I hope the Cross keeps it close!

Go Cross Go!
              Last edited by TheCrossisBack; 04-19-2021, 01:36 PM.

Comment

I hope we crush them, because Bill Simmons attended Holy Cross.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                  I hope we crush them, because Bill Simmons attended Holy Cross.
                  Simmons did go to Holy Cross.

Also
                  Dr. Anthony Fauci
                  Bob Cousy
                  Tommy Heinsohn
                  Louis Sockalexis
                  Bill Osmanski: College Football Hall of Fame
                  Gordie Lockbaum: finished 3rd and 5th in Heisman voting. College Football Hall of Fame
                  SCOTUS Clarence Thomas
                  J.D. Power

Comment

Simmons replaced me (after I graduated) as Sports Director at the campus radio station WCHC....let's just say his sports media career has exceeded mine lol.

For all our illustrious alumni, I'd trade many for Vinatieri who made 2 of the greatest kicks in NFL history.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCrossisBack View Post
                      Hey HC87, whats up buddy?

SDSU is going to be a major challenge for the Crusaders. I hope the HC defensive line can put some pressure on the quarterback.
                      I think you might see a few Cross fans and parents.

The drive for me in Woostah (Worcester) would be 22 hours.

Headline of the Telegram and Gazette Sport Page
                      "HC football not worried about latest challenge: meet No. 1 South Dakota St. in FCS playoffs"

Maybe someday down the road in the playoffs, SDSU will have to travel to Fitton Field.

I hope the Cross keeps it close!

Go Cross Go!
                      Not sure if you've watched the NDSU game, but increased passing to RBs featured during that contest could serve to neutralize pressure by Crusaders' DL, and if DB blitzes are attempted, Gronowski and Jacks' WR and TEs are likely to exploit that.

Speaking of headlines, do you think the ol' Telegram & Gazette will make tomorrow's headline "Yankees Better Respect Jankes" (twin brothers who are Jacks WRs)?

Comment

The admin from the Holy Cross fan board wanted to everyone to know they’ll be approving accounts on a nightly basis and everyone is welcome to join in the banter over there too.

https://crossports.freeforums.net

Comment

If what is showing online is correct there is only a few hundred tickets left.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                            If what is showing online is correct there is only a few hundred tickets left.
                            I wonder how many tickets were actually for sale? Have to think they reserved quite a bit for students... should be a good showing from them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post

I wonder how many tickets were actually for sale? Have to think they reserved quite a bit for students... should be a good showing from them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              It looked like all of the end zone sections and the SE corner sections were blocked off when I got on at noon today. So I would assume those were reserved for students.

Comment

Working...
                              X