Hobo Day 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hobo Day 2004

I saw in the Argus that Heinitz made a smart-alecky comment about SDSU not being the best team Augie has played this year.

It's a little bit "smacky", but I have to say it: During Heinitz's mediocre tenure, Augustana has consistently been one of the worst teams SDSU has played each year.

Buh-bye Augie.

Comment

Just read that comment as well. Oh well they lost all 6 to the NCC and a 7th in a row to State. What else could he say??

I was in attendance and I thought the Jacks as well as the crowd were flat. I suppose it's tough to get up for Augie when they are as bad as they are, but I was dissapointed, mostly in our offense.

It felt like the game plan was to play zone D, conservative offense and make Augie beat us. The defense did a great job getting to the QB, but could have been more aggressive on defending the receivers and trying for a few picks.

I think having Davis out definitely affects the long pass game, but Solomon was 1 on 1 all day and they didn't get it to him. I think Brad was going to once or twice, but he was pressured at those times as well as others.

I give the offense a C+ and defense a B. I hope they can bring their A games for the next two games. Thought they could have brought more second stringers in earlier, especially QB Kardoes who came in with a few minutes to go.

BTW Justin Kubesh that had the amazing TD catch was recently moved from LB to offense and had a great day overall.

Also they are still using #99 Andy Pick to kickoff and he kicked it all different ways and Augie started on average on the 30. Is our kick coverage that bad that we have to do that?

Comment

One more note, I thought the field was in excellent shape today and the Pride/Brassline were excellent as well.

Comment

What made Brad Nelson's record breaking pass really special is that the touchdown pass was to his good friend and roommate!

Comment

I sure would like to hear Brad Nelson's side of the story where Jim Heinitz, Augie's head coach claims Brad punched him in the stomach on one of the opening
            plays.

I would think any coach on the sidelines would quickly get out of the way if a play was coming in their direction.  I think Heinitz is a cry baby, and not smart enough to get out of the way of play that came to the sidelines.  Maybe Heintize is getting old and fat and cant move properly. : : He did complain on the post game show on KXRB.

Comment

SDSUFAN....I agree that Heinitz is a crybaby, you should have heard him howl and whine when my son committed to SDSU instead of Auggie. I am so glad that my son made the correct choice......Also, I really enjoyed the big video board at the game on Saturday, it was great watching the replays...hope we see more of that...

GO JACKS !!!!!
              http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Come play the Yotes in the Dome and you can see all the replays you want.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
                  I saw in the Argus that Heinitz made a smart-alecky comment about SDSU not being the best team Augie has played this year.
                  I really don't see how Heinitz can get a good gauge of Augie's opposition given how godawful his teams have been. Would his opinion be different if State beat his team by 5 touchdowns instead of 4 touchdowns?? : :

Comment

Story Highlights from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle2.shtml

SDSU whips Augie as era comes to a close

Matt Zimmer
                    For the Argus Leader

published: 11/7/2004

BROOKINGS - Saturday's game at Coughlin Alumni Stadium offered closure to the Augustana Vikings. For South Dakota State, it was an unspectacular win.

A painful season of disappointment came to an end for the Vikings, as did their long and proud relationship with South Dakota State. The Jackrabbits overcame a sluggish start to whip the Vikings 38-9 on the kind of gorgeous November afternoon that was made for college football.

An overflow Hobo Day crowd of 13,116 came early, filling the parking lots and lining the end zones and sidelines once the bleachers were filled. They watched the Jackrabbits turn it on when they wanted to offensively, and make the big plays on defense to keep the Vikings from threatening to come back.

Jacks coach John Stiegelmeier said he was just happy his team got the win in front of the crowd. . .

On a day when he became the school's all-time leader in touchdown passes, Jacks senior quarterback Brad Nelson was extremely efficient, completing 22 of 30 passes for 250 yards and four scores. Brian Janecek was his favorite target, catching 11 balls for 141 yards.

"I can't put into words what Brian Janecek means to our football team," said Stiegelmeier. "He makes the big catches and I think Brad is looking for him because of that. I love players like him."

Nelson and Janecek both thought their performances were adequate but left room for improvement.

"I thought it was an average game offensively," said Nelson. "I didn't think we showed what we're capable of."

"It's nice to play well enough to win," said Janecek. "But we still want to get better for next week."

The Jacks, who finish the year 4-0 on their home turf, close out their series against Augustana with a 43-16-2 advantage.

Vikings coach Jim Heinitz said his team just made too many mistakes and not enough plays.

"We were competitive and our defense played well at times," said Heinitz. "We just put them in bad spots with turnovers." . . .

Augie decided to try to get on the board before half and paid for that decision. A DeGraff pass was tipped by a Jacks defender, right into the hands of James Epps, who returned it 62 yards for a score to make it 24-3 and pretty much put the game out of reach.

Despite the significance of his play, it didn't meet Epps' expectations.

"I called it before the game that I was going to get two picks and take one to the crib," Epps said. . .

Senior linebacker Brett Scherschligt went out with a bang for the Vikings, registering a career-high 15 tackles in his final college game.

"We just couldn't stop them on third down," Scherschligt said. "They just made too many plays."

Nelson threw his record setting touchdown late in the third, when he hit Ryan Lowry from two yards out, one play after Janecek had made a fantastic catch on a fade near the sidelines. Nelson added a fourth TD pass late in the final minutes.

"I didn't even know about the record until my mom told me," said Nelson. "It'll probably sink in later."

The Vikings finally got in the end zone in the fourth on a pass from Tommy Flyger to Tom Ellingworth covering 12 yards.

"They're a good football team," said Heinitz. "They made some plays and obviously their quarterback is pretty good. But, no disrespect, they're not the best team we've played this year." . . .

Anthony Watson ran for 151 yards for the Jacks, who gained 403 yards on the day compared to the Vikings' 294. . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

Chris Solari wrote a great piece in the print version of the Argus about the bad blood between Nelson and Heinitz. It also talked about Heinitz's future at Augie (doesn't look good). To bad it was not on line.

Go State! ;D

Comment

It's the same every year from Augie. "I think this year's team looks pretty good." "Our defense looks really good." "State better look out for us because this is our year."

Then, when we hand them a sound beating, they respond with the old, "If we hadn't turned the ball over so much it would have been a much different game" or the favorite "If we played again, I think Augie'd win." Those are generally followed by the disparaging remarks about the worth of our team and the fact that we just got lucky, again.

Augie will always play teams tough because they have a lot of hard working kids on their teams. They have never been short on heart. They just never have the depth or overall talent to compete. One injury to a key player usually spells disaster for their season. It was always fun playing and beating Augie. I'm just glad that we had the chance to paste them one last time. Wish we would have gotten the chance to do the same to the U on their historical 9-2 season (heavy sarcasm added).
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

While in Washington DC summer of 03, going down the escalator to get on the metro, I saw a "Hate State" T-shirt ahead of me. When the kid got to the bottom of the escalator and turned, it said Augustana on the front. I had to laugh.

I wonder who those guys will pretend to be rivals with in the future? I suppose they'll cultivate the rivalry with USD.

Comment

I haven't heard anything about the last minute TD thrown in the Augie game. Anyone hear what coach Stig had to say about his reasons for the call? I know there is definitely no love loss between the coaches.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

There was about 2 and a half minutes to go when we scored the last TD.  I don't think it was running up the score however, at that point we were up by twenty two?
                              We all saw us score twice in 30 seconds at Montana State.  Plus Augie is/was a rival of ours.  There is no love lost, what the hell.  Everyone i was sitting around wanted us to score again with 30 seconds left.

I'm sure Heinitz was angry because Augie always cries and they wanted to say we only beat them by 21 to make it sound a lot closer than it was.
                              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

The drive was all on the ground with the exception of the touchdown pass and was aided by some cheap shots by Augie which I believe is what motivated the Jacks to try and score again. Heintz was absolutely livid and was pacing the sidelines shaking his head clapping his hands and glaring at the SDSU bench. Nelson was very animated and pointing at Heintz from the Jacks sidelines. I looked for some fireworks after the game between Stig and Heintz but they quickly shook hands and nothing appeared to be said. I'm not sure we did the right thing by throwing in that situation but the catch and antics afterwards were certainly entertaining. I think after the Georgia Southern game we were letting off some steam against an old instate opponent. Maybe Nelson called an audible on the play. Stig said nothing in the post game interview after the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X