• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hobo Day 2004

Highlights from the Collegian:

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/news/20...f-790742.shtml

SDSU, Augie prepare for homecoming face-off
    By Adam Zobel

The Jackrabbit football program will play its 91st Hobo Day Game this Saturday, Nov. 6, entering a new era as a Division I program, but facing an old rival - the Augustana Vikings - for the 61st, and possibly final, time.

SDSU looks to bounce back from consecutive road defeats and finish its home schedule undefeated with a win. The Jacks enter the game with a 4-4 overall record and a 1-2 conference mark. Augustana enters its season finale with a 3-7 record after finishing winless in North Central Conference play. The Augustana Vikings were defeated by Minnesota State - Mankato 19-12 this past Saturday.

SDSU and Augustana have faced off in seven previous Hobo Day games. The first game took place in 1946, a 26-6 Jackrabbit victory. SDSU won the last Hobo Day showdown, a 31-21 triumph in 2000. The Jacks hold a 6-1 advantage on Hobo Day over the Vikings; the only blemish being a 31-0 Augie win in 1990.

Jackrabbit coach John Stiegelmeier has a 5-2 record on Hobo Day and a 5-2 record against the Vikings. Augustana coach Jim Heinitz, a graduate of SDSU, has a 6-11 record against his alma mater, including the Viking win in 1990.

The Jackrabbits enter the game with a 42-16-2 all-time advantage against Augustana. SDSU has a 17-4 record against the Vikings in games played at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium. The Jackrabbits defeated Augustana last season 42-22 in Brookings on a bitterly cold day that drew only 2,183 spectators. Augustana's last victory in the series was a 39-33 triple-overtime victory at Howard Wood Field in 2002. Augustana is currently not on the 2005 SDSU football schedule.

The Jackrabbits have a 52-33-5 record in Hobo Day games. SDSU won on Hobo Day last year with a 27-24 victory over St. Cloud State in front of 8,464 fans. That game was highlighted by a last-minute goal line interception by Scott Connot that sealed the win for SDSU. . . .

SDSU has had a great deal of Hobo Day success during the last two decades, accumulating a 14-5 record since 1985. . . .The Jacks have a 23-19 Hobo Day mark at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium. In addition, the largest crowd to ever attend a football game in South Dakota was at the 1985 Hobo Day game when 16,193 spectators watched the Jacks upset previously-undefeated USD 24-12.

The Hobo Day Game for the 2005 season has not yet been officially established. The 2004 football media guide had Hobo Day tentatively scheduled for Oct. 8 against UC-Davis, but the South Dakota High School Soccer Tournament is also scheduled to be held in Brookings that weekend, which limits the availability of hotel rooms for out-of-town alumni. The next home game scheduled that month is the Oct. 22 match up against Missouri-Rolla.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Here's a link to Augie's website

http://goaugie.com

I'm predicting a big win for the Jacks and also predicting plenty of cold ones at Ray's! ;D

Comment

The latest from the national weather service:

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 64. Breezy, with a west northwest wind 11 to 14 mph increasing to between 20 and 23 mph. Winds could gust as high as 33 mph.

Who would have thought it would be this nice on Nov 5th?

Comment

So far this year we have been outscored 176 to 224 (-48). That's not too bad considering two games total 108. I'd like to see us beat Augie by at least 48 points to even that up. This has no importanace what-so-ever. But somehow make me happy when I look at that stat ;D

Comment

Everyone seems to have gone for the fairly conservative line, so I'll be the first one out saying we beat Augie by at least 40 points. I think it's going to be a real good beating laid on the Vikings. I think our guys, after the last two games, will think Augie is moving in slow motion.

Comment

[glb]SDSU 35

auggie 7

[/glb]A great day to watch football

[glb]OUTSIDE IN NOVEMBER ON NATURAL TURF![/glb]

Comment

I think that Coach Stig. won't allow the score to get too out of hand if he can help it. Augie at least had the guts to play us unlike another college in SD that should remain nameless, and I think our coaching staff will be mindful of that. It sounds like its decent weather in Brookings today.

SDSU 42
                Augie 0

Attendance 10,500

Comment

Can't believe how beautiful the weather is here in Rochester. I understand its at least as nice in SD. Anyone here anything on WNAX about attendance/tailgating? I won't be able to listen to the webcast at work so periodic updates (couple of times a quarter) would be appreciated. Not saying Augie isn't a team to take for granted, but I hope we haven't. Lets hope for a well-played, clean, injury-free game.

Go Jacks beat the Vikes!!
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Score of Game

40 seconds left in 2nd Quarter

SDSU     17
                    Augie       3

Comment

Update to Score of Game

24 Seconds left in 2nd Qtr.

SDSU 24
                      Augie 3

Interception returned for TD

Comment

Attendance of Game

Attendance of Game 13,116.

Score in 3rd Quater (10 minutes to go)

SDSU     24
                        Augie       3

SDSU driving on opening drive.  Ball knocked out of Nelson's hand as throwing.  Fumble, Augie recovered on 46. Augie now fumbled it right back so on 44 of Augie.

Comment

Thanks for the updates, nice crowd. Why the difficulty with O in the 2nd half? It would be nice to put at least 40 on the board. 13,000 plus, nice!!!
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Score End of 3rd Qrt

Score at end of 3rd Quarter

SDSU    24
                            Augie      3

Augie has ball 1 and 10 on own 42

Comment

SDSU Intercepts

SDSU Intercepts ball

SDSU ball 1 and 10 on Augie 42.

Comment

They are playing like they expected to win by 50. Augie is a bad team. I hope we can get at least a couple more scores. I'm sure the guys didnt concentrate too much on Augie this week. with an important game against SUU next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X