Spring Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Game

Final Score SDSU Defense 44 - SDSU Offense 29. Only one slight injury. Jerry mentioned that there were quite a few people tailgating in the backyard, wish I could have been there. Maybe next year!

Go State! ;D

Comment

Defense Beats Offense In Spring Game

04/23/2005
      Defense Beats Offense In Spring Game
      http://www.gojacks.com/

BROOKINGS, SD - The Jackrabbit defense rallied from a 26-20 deficit to defeat the offense 44-29 in the annual spring football game at South Dakota State Saturday.

A 50-yard field goal by Parker Douglass pulled the offense within 31-29 in the fourth quarter, but the defense scored on two sraight turnovers, first getting a fumble recovery by Adam Fritz, then coming up with a pass interception by Tyler Koch.

The defense scored points by forcing six three-and-out series (worth two points) by the offense, and turnovers were worth six points. Justin Kubesh and Marcus Suhn had also had fumble recoveries.

Kubesh, a sophomore linebacker from Olivia, MN, had ten tackles, six of them solos; had two tackles for loss including one sack, one fumble recovery and one pass broken up.

Linebacker Billy Kirch had seven tackles while redshirt freshman Jason Nobiling and linebacker Mike James had six tackles each.

Sophomore running back Cory Koenig, Underwood, IA, led the offense, rushin nine times for 123 yards including a two-yard TD. Anthony Watson had nine carries for 36 yards as the offense rushed for 222 yards and passed for 140. Three quarterbacks combined to go 15-for-31 with one interception. Junior Andy Kardoes was 6-for-13 for 48 yards and rushed 10 yards for the first offensive touchdown. Redshirt freshman Ryan Berry finished 6-for-10 for 69 yards and sophomore Reed Burkhardt was 3-for-8 for 23 yards.
      Ten different receivers caught passes, but the only three had more than one catch: Chris Doblar had four catches for 42 yards, Josh Davis two for 17 and Micah Johnson two for 17.

Douglas hit three field goals including a 50-yarder into the wind and a second 50 yarder with the wind at his back. He also connected from 37.

SDSU will open its 2005 season at home against Wisconsin-LaCrosse on Sept. 3. Coach John Stiegelmeier will begin his ninth season with 40 lettermen.

Comment

Highlights from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...35/1002/SPORTS

Defense shines for Jackrabbits
        Junior Kardoes ahead in starting quarterback derby

Chris Solari
        csolari@argusleader.com

published: 04/24/05

BROOKINGS - Usually a new quarterback will draw all the attention during a spring football game.

Instead, South Dakota State's defense flexed its muscle Saturday and left coach John Stiegelmeier smiling.

Stiegelmeier made the Jacks' spring game an offense versus defense showcase, rather than splitting into two squads. With a modified scoring system that gave points for situational performance as well as scoring plays, the Jackrabbits' defense captured the spring game 44-29 at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.With eight starters back and a bevy of depth on the defensive side, it was a player who saw spot duty on offense last season that stole the show. Sophomore Justin Kubesh moved back to his natural linebacker spot from tight end and responded with 10 tackles, six of them unassisted and two for losses. He also had a sack, deflected a pass and recovered a fumble.

"Kubesh's motor never slows down," Stiegelmeier said. "It's always at the highest RPMs you can run. If he's going the right direction, he's a difference-maker."When injuries hit the tight end corps midway through SDSU's first season in the Division I-AA Great West Football Conference, Kubesh jumped over to offense with a flourish. He snagged two touchdowns against Augustana, but his return to the defensive side should help a linebacking group that loses starters Chris Coauette and Mike Blackbourn.

"(Linebacker) is where I like to play," said the mohawk-wearing Kubesh, who is from Olivia, Minn. "I was just a freshman (last year). I just wanted to get onto the field."

Junior Andy Kardoes made his debut as SDSU's starting quarterback, completing 6 of 13 passes for 48 yards while alternating series with sophomore Reed Burkhardt and redshirt freshman Ryan Berry."Andy Kardoes is way ahead, and he's way ahead for a lot of reasons," said Stiegelmeier, who is entering his ninth season at the Jacks' helm. "Number one, his maturity. Number two, his athletic ability lends itself to what we're doing. And he's a great competitor."

In replacing Brad Nelson, one of the most prolific passers in SDSU history, Kardoes brings a different set of skills.His scrambling ability should change the Jacks' offense, which is expected to feature more option-styled rollout plays like the 10-yard TD the Algona, Iowa native ran for Saturday. Last season, Kardoes had three rushing touchdowns. . . .

Sophomore running back Cory Koenig carried the ball nine times for 123 yards, including runs of 36 and 57 yards and a 2-yard score. Returning starter Anthony Watson, an All-Great West first-teamer after his first 1,000-yard season, ran nine times for 36 yards Saturday.Sophomore kicker Parker Douglass connected for three field goals, including a pair of 50-yarders.

But clearly it was the defense's day under new coordinator Jay Bubak. Sophomore defensive lineman Marcus Suhn and redshirt freshman defensive back Adam Fritz each recovered fumbles. Sophomore defensive back Tyler Koch picked off a pass."The defense has a bunch of guys coming back," Stiegelmeier said. "But with the point system, what won this game was the turnovers. That's so true about true football game in a true scoring system - turnovers will kill you."

SDSU brings back 40 lettermen, including six starters on offense.

Go State! ;D

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...35/1002/SPORTS
          Here is the story from the argus leader.

Comment

Hey Doc thanks for the burgers and hospitality. It was great meeting another board member and am looking forward to tailgating during the season.

Comment

Who really stood out at the Spring game. Did any of the redshirt freshman make an impression?

Comment

I watched a portion of the scrimmage before the banquet and as the press releases tell you the defense in general was doing very good. What seems to be a big concern now is the the depth in OL with I believe 4 guys out. With summer to recoup most should be back this fall.

I think we got a very good defensive coordinatior and a good group working under him as well. I had the upmost respect for Karl Ballard, but Bubak is going to do a good job at SDSU, based on what I saw yesterday.

I think as they said on the radio, there are going to be new offensive schemes that compliment Andy Kardoes abilities, and hopefully he will be very good at scrambling and running option plays. I think we have had pretty much passing QB's since the days of Ted Wahl, now that's a while ago. McDonald under Coach Daly did have some potential to run, but I remember Ted the best.

Running and passing will be mixed up a great deal.

There is one play in particular that has to be deceptive, but for security reasons I will not mention it on the board. ;D They talked about it on the radio while I was watching. Dang, its going to be hard to defend.

Comment

Had a very good time tailgating......Was good to see some football again. I thought the defense looked quite good....offensive a little behind, mainly from a timing standpoint. I think we have a lot of good things going to happen this fall. I know it is early and I don't want to be negative, but after Andy at QB, I think we are very inexperienced. The younger guys are good, just need experience, scares me about injuries, Andy is not afraid to put his head down and run. Overall was very happy and excited to see it all

Go Jacks !!!!!
                  http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Did JaRon Harris play? If so how did he look?

Comment

JaRon played.......He is going to be good. He is VERY fast.  He needs some experience and seasoning. I look for huge things from him in the future.......

He is a great kid and his folks are great people also.....

Go Jacks  !!!!!!

Comment

Thanks, I too think he has the potential to be great.

Comment

Has Cory Koenig taken the #1 running back slot from Anthony Watson?

Comment

Anthony is #1...no question about that. There were reasons he did not play more of Saturday. Was nice to see the back-ups get some time, that will be very good in the future

Go Jacks !!!!!!

Comment

Does anyone know what happened to Tim Neneman a freshman linebacker from Omaha Nebraska.

Comment

Tim left school and the team during fall camp, from what I heard it was personal reasons.....

Go Jacks !!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X