Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2005 Recruits

Originally posted by 89rabbit

You must be talking about this marker, I think we are bringing it up to Fargo with us (so we can hold it above our heads again) but we are taking it right back home to Brookings after the game!

Go Jackrabbits!  ;D
    You have a short memory. You must have forgotten the shutout we pitched the last time you visited the fabulous fargo dome.

Comment

One from Wisconsin that signed yesterday. It's been hard to get WI students to think of SDSU until the DI change.

For Sheboygan South senior standout Jacob Pfeiffer, playing football is about emotion, passion and having fun.

That’s why Pfeiffer passed on offers to walk on for prestigious NCAA Division I programs and an opportunity to play fullback at a Division I-AA school, and instead followed his heart when choosing his future school.

Pfeiffer, a captain on the most successful football team in South history last fall, signed a national letter of intent on Wednesday to play collegiately at South Dakota State, an NCAA Division I-AA school in Brookings, S.D.

“It was real exciting, and really relieving,” Pfeiffer said of the signing process, which was held at South and included his teammate, Trevor Klabechek, who signed with Division II Winona State (Minn.).

“The coaches were awesome. They were the best people I met in the college process. They were nice, honest and didn’t sugarcoat anything. I appreciated that.”

The 6-3, 255-pound Pfeiffer (who will play defensive end for the Jackrabbits) made three official visits — to South Dakota State, North Dakota and North Dakota State. He was also offered a spot to play fullback at Illinois State and was in contact with other schools.

Pfeiffer was also offered a chance to walk on at the University of Wisconsin and the University of Maryland, but said both programs seemed to be more business than personal.

“South Dakota State was upfront and honest. They called two-to-three times per week just to talk, not even about football. I never got the feeling with Wisconsin or Maryland it was like that.”

Sheboygan South finished the regular season 9-0 and won the Fox River Valley Conference championship. The Redwings also won the city’s first-ever WIAA playoff game and advanced to the third round.
      Is is always a good day to ride.

Comment

WIJack,

Welcome to the board, great post thanks!

Go State! ;D

Comment

Another story about our incoming recruits.  Highlights from the Colmbus paper:

http://www.columbustelegram.com/arti...ts/sports3.txt

Football stars commit to play at college

By JEFF MALMGREN/Telegram Sports Editor

As stars at separate high schools, Casey Bender of Lindsay Holy Family and Steven Bazata of Howells were similarly impressive.

Apparently so much so that South Dakota State University football coach John Stiegelmeier couldn't choose between them. He recruited each to play for the Jackrabbits and both were happy to sign national letters of intent to join the team Wednesday.

Combined, Bazata and Bender tallied 148 tackles, 25 sacks, seven fumble recoveries and one blocked kick as defensive linemen in 2004. Together, their teams played in eight state championship games over the last four years and both lineman played on each side of the ball. Physically they are alike as well, Bazata stands 6 feet, 4 inches tall and is 230 pounds, while Bender stands 6 feet, 6 inches tall and is 250 pounds.

Still, at South Dakota State, differentiating between these quasi-twins will be easy - Bazata will look the same as a force on the defensive line, but Bender's appearance will change considerably as he moves to tight end.

Bender didn't get his hands on a single pass as a senior at Holy Family, but Stiegelmeier has different plans for him in college.

"He has the size to play tight end," Stiegelmeier explained. "Ideally he'll redshirt his first year, but when he learns and gets some reps, he's going to be a dominant player."  .  .  .

Bender, a two-time All-State and three-time All-District selection, had 90 tackles, 13 sacks and four fumble recoveries as a senior, while Holy Family won the Class D-2 State Championship. The Bulldogs were also the runner-up in 2003 and 2002.

Meanwhile, Bazata lost only one game during his high school career on the Howells team, going 51-1 and winning the D-1 State title four straight seasons. Both Bender and Bazata were All-Huskerland selections as well.

Bazata "has been a solid kid we've been able to use on the line for three years," said Howells coach Michael Speirs. "He's one of the most dominant defensive linemen we've ever had. He has good footwork for his size and a motor."

"I think over the next couple years I can become a dominant force and wreak havoc" at South Dakota State, Bazata said.

Speirs said the lure of playing Division I-AA football helped the Jackrabbits land Bazata. After a senior season that was highlighted by 20 solo tackles, 12 sacks and three fumble recoveries, Bazata considered Nebraska-Omaha, Nebraska-Kearney and Southwest Missouri State before deciding on South Dakota State.

"I felt like I could play at the highest level," Bazata said. "That was one of the factors. They have an aggressive style defense that I like and I like the direction they're headed."

The Jackrabbits are an up-and-coming Division I-AA football program after moving up from Division II last season. .  .  .

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Another recruit story:

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/index.p...gning_daylocal

7 from Tucson sign for Div. 1-A

MICHAEL CACCAMISE
            Tucson Citizen

Seven Tucson-area high school players signed with Division I-A football teams yesterday on national signing day.
            Two native Tucsonans will become Arizona Wildcats.

Ironwood Ridge's 6-foot-5, 286-pound offensive lineman Daniel Borg and 6-foot, 205-pound running back and linebacker Xavier Smith from Sunnyside are headed to UA. . . .

Ryan Crawford, who played behind Borg as the Nighthawks' quarterback, signed with South Dakota State.

"I was really stressed out the whole season about getting a scholarship," Crawford said. "This takes some weight off my shoulders. I was just really blessed to have really good teammates and coaches that supported me throughout this year."

Crawford almost had a Tucson teammate in Mountain View High linebacker Ryan McGinty, but McGinty chose to play for Columbia over South Dakota State. . . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

Also I remember reading in the Argus that one of the Elite 45 members is coming to State as a walk on. I did not see it in their on-line version. Came out the same day as other signings, the Argus listed all Elite 45 members and where they have choose for school (several are still undecided).

Comment

Luke Meadows was in Sieux Falls on Monday at the Staters Club subbing for Stig and showed highlights of the incoming recruits. He indicated they would likely redshirt all 19.

Comment

Has anyone heard if there are any JUCO players coming in next year?

Go Jacks !!!!!
                  http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Stig has been on record to say that the 19 high school kids are it. I think they have most likely divided up the budgeted scholarships. I don't think in 2005 we have that need as we have experience at virtually every position. The two Juco kids from last year are back and will play a big part on our defense.

Comment

We have a bunch of guys with some big seeds that will get it done......

Go Jacks !!!!!!
                      http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

How you guys feel your recruiting class stacks up to NDSU's recruiting class. I'm sure you guys have already talked about this but I don't normally read the football section of this board, so I apologize if you this forces you to repeat yourselves. Were there any recruits that both schools went after, if so where did they go? About the only thing I know about either recruiting class is that you guys got a stud QB from Arizona.

Comment

That's a good question. The only thing I know is that Stig was very happy with who they were ultimately able to have sign on the dotted line. From what I gather, there were some of the signees who we initially considered longshots and they ended up at SDSU. I get the feeling there weren't too many players that were choosing between NDSU and SDSU as crazy as that sounds. Most of the semi-local kids we recruited were looking at UNI more than NDSU. Maybe one of the NDSU guys could put his two cents in on that.

Also, in my opinion recruiting classes are alot like getting a bunch of rookie cards for baseball players. In 5 years only 2 may have lived up to their potential or maybe 12 have. With injuries, etc., you just never know.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

Also, in my opinion recruiting classes are alot like getting a bunch of rookie cards for baseball players.
                            I'm still kicking myself for trading my Mark McGuire rookie card for 2 Joel Youngblood cards back in 88 :'(

Comment

Ouch! I would kick myself to if I did that. haha. Don't worry it was probably juiced anyway

Comment

Casey Bender one of the 2005 recruits help lead Lindsay Holy Family to the D-2 bb championship in Nebraska. D-2 is the smallest classification in Nebraska, but it appears Casey was a force to reckon with on the court as well as the field.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=...;u_sid=1358700

Comment

Working...
                                X