Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2005 Recruits

Originally posted by jackmd
    Interesting to hear what Coach Stig has to say.  I'm sure it will be positive.  I wonder if he has decided red-shirt candidates, those who can play as freshman, etc..

When does he have to decide?
    I would think that all incoming freshmen are considered redshirts until they prove otherwise. As far as when does he have to decide, they are redshirts until they step on the field in an acutal game. I'm not sure what procedures are necessary to notify the NCAA or conference of which players are redshirting, but I would think that all first year freshmen are on that list and only taken off once they play.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

CathEmAll....you are correct. All freshmen are redshirted until they play. Most all are recruited as such, the first year has a huge learning curve, also is great to get a year of weigh training under your belt also

Go Jacks !!!!!
      http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

I wonder if we have used all 42 budgeted scholarships or if we are holding anything back to see if a player we had hoped to get might fall back to us in the coming weeks. Do we think this group of 19 young men is the final recruiting list. I imagine we could see some walkons but I know there is a max # of players who can be on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-jack
          Scholarships are divied out according to each individuals financial support. So if a kid qualifies for a bunch of grants and educational scholarships then the football will cover the remainder. Thats how it worked for me... but others do receive larger scholarships than others.
          I know that's how it happened when I was playing, also, but I wonder if that has changed with the move to D1-AA. DII schools are allowed to split their scholarships, so the schools are pretty creative on how to spread the dough. However, D1 schools aren't allowed to split their scholarships. I'm not sure if that applies to D1-AA schools as well? If it is, can the school use the transition time to wean away the partials? Questions I don't know the answer to. Any thoughts?
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
            I wonder if we have used all 42 budgeted scholarships or if we are holding anything back to see if a player we had hoped to get might fall back to us in the coming weeks. Do we think this group of 19 young men is the final recruiting list. I imagine we could see some walkons but I know there is a max # of players who can be on the team.
            Craig or Mike asked this question, and Coach Stig said that we were lucky and got who we wanted.  So these are our guys.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

I know that's how it happened when I was playing, also, but I wonder if that has changed with the move to D1-AA.  DII schools are allowed to split their scholarships, so the schools are pretty creative on how to spread the dough.  However, D1 schools aren't allowed to split their scholarships.  I'm not sure if that applies to D1-AA schools as well?  If it is, can the school use the transition time to wean away the partials?  Questions I don't know the answer to.  Any thoughts?
              D-I programs (I-A and I-AA) can only have 85 kids on scholarship. The max amount of scholarhips at the I-A level is 85 so no splitting can occur. The I-AA limit on scholarships is 63 so we can and do split our scholarships.

Go State! ;D

Comment

thanks 89Rabbit. I had been wondering about that for some time now.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Actually, I believe at the D-IAA level of the max 63 scholarships something like 85-90%(that number is a guess) must be full scholarships. We do have some grace period on getting all to that level. I am guessing it would be part of our 5 year plan.

Comment

My info came straight from Coach Stig's mouth (Via KWSN).

Go State!  ;D

Comment

congrats on what looks like a great recruiting class rabbits. We are real happy with ours as well. BTW we signed just as many SD students as you guys this year I think we are all in for a treat in the years to come as far a quality of play is concerned. Can't wait to see how the marker looks in NDSU's student union for the next year.

Comment

Originally posted by BisBison
                        congrats on what looks like a great recruiting class rabbits. We are real happy with ours as well. BTW we signed just as many SD students as you guys this year I think we are all in for a treat in the years to come as far a quality of play is concerned. Can't wait to see how the marker looks in NDSU's student union for the next year.

You must be talking about this marker, I think we are bringing it up to Fargo with us (so we can hold it above our heads again) but we are taking it right back home to Brookings after the game!

Go Jackrabbits! ;D

Comment

Not that I doubted anything Stig said but there is a reason he is a football coach and the department has a compliance director. So I did some research and found this from NCAA Bylaws

15.5.5.2 Division I-AA Football I-AA
                          There shall be an annual limit of 30 on the number of initial counters (per Bylaw 15.02.3.1), an annual limit of 63 on the value of financial aid awards (equivalencies) to counters, and an annual limit of 85 on the total number of counters (including initial counters) in the sport of football at each Division I-AA institution. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/92)

Essentially you can spread 63 scholarships among 85 players with no set requirement for splitting. If you do the math that would mean a minimum of just short of 3/4 scholarship per player if you spread it evenly.

Comment

Pretty sure that is why Stig and the coaching staff go after the academic athletes so they can spread the athletic scholarships to more people. The 2005 recruits averaged 23 on the ACT and a 3.36 grade point average.

Comment

Story on Chris Johnson, here are the highlights:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...7133&rfi=6

Johnson joins Jackrabbits
                              JEFF DELUCA, Staff Writer
                              02/03/2005

Abraham Lincoln's Chris Johnson said his decision about where to continue his athletic and academic career was up in the air two months ago.

But things quickly fell into place for the senior, who announced Wednesday that he'll continue his football career at South Dakota State University by signing a National Letter of Intent.

Johnson, who was joined by parents Rick and Debbie Boehm at the signing, said the coaching staff was a big factor in his decision.

"The biggest part (of the decision) was the coaching staff," he said. "They really impressed me with what they had to say."

During his visit to the NCAA Division I-AA school, Johnson said he got to talk to fellow Council Bluffs native Brock Gentile.

"I talked to Brock a lot during my visit," he said, adding Gentile and the other Jackrabbit players helped re-enforce his thoughts on the coaching staff.  .  .  .

"Chris has been a great leader and an excellent player for us," A.L. coach Bob Forsyth said.

Johnson said he'll play outside linebacker in college, and will redshirt next season.

"They have two seniors (next season), after I redshirt I have a great chance to play a lot of ball (in 2006)," he said.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Here is a quick story on one that got away. I must say I do like the company we are keeping:

http://www.timesrepublican.com/sport...spt1sports.asp

All-State defensive lineman makes way to Western Illinois

By ROSS THEDE

Happy birthday, Daniel Speight. Can I have your autograph?

Speight, a Marshalltown High School senior, had anything but idle hands Wednesday, signing among other things his National Letter of Intent to play Division I-AA football next fall for Western Illinois University in Macomb, Ill.

The just-turned 18-year-old penned his name for a number of different reasons Wednesday. In addition to his committment to head coach Don Patterson and the WIU Leathernecks, Speight signed up for selective service, acquired a new driver's license and registered to vote.

"I'm excited about next year and excited about playing for the Leathernecks," Speight said. "Right now I'm just soaking it all in."

Choosing whose letter to sign, however, was not a sit-back-and-relax decision. Speight, a 6-foot-4, 280-pound defensive lineman, was actively recruited by the University of Northern Iowa and South Dakota State University. Iowa and Iowa State even hoped he would walk-on with the opportunity for future scholarship considerations.

"I started feeling like I was where I was supposed to be after my visit (to Western Illinois)," he said. "I really liked the people and the coaches."

Can't win them all and I really like the kids we got. Best of luck to Daniel.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X