Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2005 Recruits

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
    Chris Brunkhorst OL/DL from Rochester Loudres is down to SDSU,UNI and Minnesota State. He has offers from all three and has visited all three. Apparently it's a dead heat. Based on the verbals we have thus far we could use some big guys in this class!  
    I could drop by his house after clinic today and drop off a "care" package if it would help. ;D
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

I could drop by his house after clinic today and drop off a "care" package if it would help. ;D
      And I'll contact the NCAA.... ;D

Comment

A state that the Jacks never seem to recruit well in football is Wisconsin. I took a look at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Preps Plus and the top 20 football recruits and while the NDSU has some committments and interest there was no mention of the Jacks recruiting Wisconsin. With Wisconsin having no DIAA schools or DII schools I would think there are some players we could get out of that state. I remember two years ago we got a highly touted running back out of Green Bay but he didn't last long after his freshman year. Anybody have any imput why we have not recruited better out of Wisconsin? Maybe the alumni out of Wisconsin can shed some light. We are beginning to get some good women basketball players out of Wisconsin. Good thing is the weather in Brookings will not be a shocker for Wisconsin kids.

Comment

I thingk it has been noted on the board before about the tuition differences for Wisconsin versus the states to the west of us. A student from Wis. would come to
          SDSU as a non resident costing them appx, 14000 a year, where a student from IA, NE, AZ, CA, and many others come at 10000 a year.

I don't know if this has an effect on the recruiting there or not but i would assume that in a situation where every penny is tight during the transition it could make a big difference. :-/
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Jackrabbit1979 is correct as I have asked why no Wisconsin to several staff people and when we were D2, I was told it was a budget buster. I think Daly had his goal of recuiting one per year from Wisconsin. Many will recall Matt Beier an excellent WR. I would hope that the football budget would grow to include more from wisconsin, but the Western group of states which make their tuitions nearly even, explains now why we are going to California and Arizona.

We did hit Colorado when UNC was winning the NC, ie Kevin Brown, who was coached by Bob Bozied.

The reason Mankato, St Cloud and Winona hit Wisconsin hard is that there is a reciposity agreement between Minnesota and Wisconsin. NDSU in the past has had the money to spend in Wisconsin, and SDSU has spent its money elsewhere.

Comment

Commitments updated this morning from Showingblitz.com

South Dakota State (6)
              QB Ryan Crawford - 6-2/200/4.80 - Tucson, AZ (Ironwood Ridge)
              LB Isaiah Jackson - 6-1/205/- - Chandler, AZ (Chandler)
              RB/DB Adam Monke - 5-9/185/- - Arlington, NE (Arlington)
              RB Jordan Paula - 6-2/215/4.50 - Brookings, SD (Brookings)
              LB Jimmy Rogers - 5-11/190/- - Chandler, AZ (Hamilton)
              LB Kris Stone - Gilbert, AZ (Highland)

I had spoken to a friend who said we were up near 15 commitments now. I am looking forward to Tuesday to see how things pan out.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                A state that the Jacks never seem to recruit well in football is Wisconsin. I took a look at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Preps Plus and the top 20 football recruits and while the NDSU has some committments and interest there was no mention of the Jacks recruiting Wisconsin. With Wisconsin having no DIAA schools or DII schools I would think there are some players we could get out of that state. I remember two years ago we got a highly touted running back out of Green Bay but he didn't last long after his freshman year. Anybody have any imput why we have not recruited better out of Wisconsin? Maybe the alumni out of Wisconsin can shed some light. We are beginning to get some good women basketball players out of Wisconsin. Good thing is the weather in Brookings will not be a shocker for Wisconsin kids.

From your mouth to Stig's ear. I've been saying we should tap into the Milwaukee area since I moved here. With the Greater Milwaukee Area numbering close to 1.5 million, there are a ton of athletes who could play at the DII/DIAA level who end up playing for UW Stout or UW Whitewater simply because they have no other options. Take a look at the Badgers' roster and you'll see what kind of talent they pull from all over Wisconsin. They started two true freshmen at LB last year that were from WI. There are a ton of good players in this state and they generally grow up with the hard nosed attitude that comes with being raised in the midwest. But, from I understand, the cost is just too prohibitive. That's frustrating to me.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

It is frustrating but to think that for every two kids we recruit from Wisconsin we could have three at that price from Arizona, Cali, Co, Minnesota, etc. makes sense.
                  Definately will raise our scholarhip level faster that way.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                    Definately will raise our scholarhip level faster that way.

How many more scholarships are we funding this year? We upped to 38 last year, how many this, next year, etc. I see that the Bison are now at 63.

Comment

From what I understand 42.

Comment

Looks like we are set at linebacker for a while. We got a couple last year that we redshirted and should be ready to see some time. I would assume some of the remaining recruits will shore up the offensive and defensive line. If you look at showingblitz.com the Bison have landed in addition to the two south dakota lineman some big guys.

Comment

Story coming from San Francisco, here are some highlights:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...PGKAB2LC31.DTL

18 have committed, but Pittsburg trio overlooked so far
                          Mitch Stephens, Chronicle Staff Writer

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Pittsburg High football coach Vic Galli would have bet his house on it. And considering the price of Bay Area real estate ...

"It baffles me," Galli said. "It absolutely baffles me."

Galli is perplexed how three of his most talented and productive players -- running back Derrick Blanche, wide receiver Deric Davis and linebacker Tino Felise -- have not been offered Division I scholarships.

Considering Wednesday is the first day high school players can sign a letter of intent, the trio could be shut out. . . .

"It's really disappointing," Galli said. "We're still hopeful. Maybe some schools will come in late. I think everyone is really missing the boat."

It's a familiar plea from coaches throughout the Bay Area as signing day approaches. Only 18 Bay Area players have verbally committed, compared to more than 30 at this point last year.

"It's definitely a little down (in the Bay Area), especially at the top end," Rivals.com recruiting expert Greg Biggins said. "But these things run in cycles."

There are still many players who have been offered Division I scholarships but are still waiting for other offers.

Galli said his defensive back Joseph Blackman (South Dakota State) and receiver Jason Crawley (UNLV) are making trips to other schools this weekend.

Other players that have received offers or are taking trips this weekend include McClymonds linebacker Mario Cox (Hawaii or San Jose State); Skyline defensive back Joe Bates (Portland State or Hawaii) and linebacker Montay Brown (San Jose State); Valley Christian receiver Colin Maher (Nevada or San Jose State), defensive lineman Joseph Townsend (San Jose State or Washington State) and defensive back Mike Moreno (Air Force); San Ramon Valley receiver Chris Carter (UC Davis); Montgomery lineman Carson Cooper (UC Davis or University of Pennsylvania) and linebacker Koa Misi (Oregon, San Diego State or Boise State). . . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

Well in today's paper of the Contra Costa Times they list their "Cream of the Crop" top 20 high school football players from Contra Costa and Alameda Counties in the Bay Area. No.18 in that group is Joseph Blackman from Pittsburg High School in Pittsburg California. Here is his bio:

Joseph Blackman 5'-11" 180 lbs.

Athletic. Has potential to be shut-down cornerback. "Not a bad athlete," WAC assistant said. "Competitive. Has a knack for the ball." Will probably need a year or two to develop. Slight build concerned one Pac-10 assistant. "Good athlete. Has a chance," Pac-10 recruiter said. "Down-the-road type guy." Runs a 10.7-second 100, according to Pittsburg coach Vic Galli. "Very good athlete and great cover guy." Galli said. Has offer from Division 1-AA South Dakota State. College:Undecided

Well I hope he accepts the offer and it sounds like he would need to redshirt to give himself time to develop. I would imagine that SDSU could have some sucess in recuiting kids from CA. because we play in the GWFC and will play at UC Davis and Cal Poly every other year so their parents and relatives could see them play on occasion. Also it would be good for State to make some in-roads into Pittsburg High, they have a very good tradition in football. The CC Times has been putting together a top 20 listing since 1983 and Pittsburg is tied for 3rd for the most players listed at 22. De La Salle High School gets most of the pub in this area and has 50 players that have been listed. De La Salle has won 3 straight National Titles according to USA Today polls and had over 160 consecutive victories prior to this season. De La Salle beat Pittsburg in the North Section football championship game. Pittsburg had 2 players listed in the top 20, De La Salle only had 1 for the first time since 1998.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

from the coaches words, maybe we should look at some of Joseph's teamates as well.

Comment

Chris Brunkhorst has committed to Minnesota State-Mankato.
                                http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Working...
                                X