Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNC

Originally posted by jackmd
    Questions, did UNC increase scholarships with the move to the NCC?  I know it was a lateral move in DII after Northern Ia left for the Mid-Cont.

I don't know enough to say wether scholarships were increased with the move to the NCC but I do know UNC struggled mightly during the 80's.

Does what I said make any sense or am I way off here?  Did the move to the NCC not do anything for UNC?  Why did they even bother joining if it wouldn't make a difference?  Just looking for answers, always wanting to know.
    When did scholarships in D2 go from 48 to 36? Was it before or after UNC joined the NCC? I had forgotten that they were ever at 48 but last night Harry Forsyth reminded me of that fact. 48 to 36 and probably to 24 if those small schools get their way.

Comment

If my memory is correct, the reduction from 48 to 36 occured about 1989 or 1990 as from then on there was more parity between the NCC and NDSU. NDSU had the bucks and funded all 48 whereas some of the other NCC members did not.

UNC did not as JackMD stated have much of a good program until Joe Glenn and Mike Breske came along. Breske BTW was a good SDSU player and alum. He built a great defense at UNC.

Also the first year UNC was in the NCC, SDSU was forced to back out on a game contract with Wyoming in order to put UNC on their schedule. Not sure of the details but thats what I vaguely recall.

Comment

Bad weather for SD tonight but improved by Fri/Sat. Highs in mid 40's lows in mid 20's wind is going to blow 15-20 mph.

Definitely a day for the long johns and coveralls. Might need to get more creative then my standard Miller Lite. I'm thinking a thermos and something with a peppermint "kick".
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

Year to date attendance:

UNC

32,142 - 4 Games - Avg. 8,035

SDSU  

53,896 - 7 Games - Avg. 7,699

*New info after UNC's final home game*

Year to date attendance:

UNC

37,543 - 5 Games - Avg. 7,509

SDSU

53,896 - 7 Games - Avg. 7,699

SDSU has one game left, against the Bears this weekend.

Go State! ;D

Comment

SDSU has one game left, against the Bears this weekend.
            Which will undoubtedly drive attendance way, way down! ;D

Sorry, couldn't resist . . .
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Looks like I need a better explanation in regards to the football scholarship levels. I believe the department is going to attempt to fund 51 scholarships for football next year, and then I assume the goal will be to get to the magic 57 level by the following year.

This is a huge amount of money folks just to get to the 51 level.

Secondly, I am quite sure that SDSU must offer 57 or more scholarships two years in a row, before they will be able to play for those guarantees we would like to get for scheduling 1-A teams. Not an average of 57 over two years (correct me if somebody out there knows I'm wrong, but I'll be checking this to make sure myself of my facts.)

No way does the achievement of 51 football scholarships mean that we have reached an endowment level that will permanently endow those scholarships. The aim will be to continue to enlarge the endowment, but we are eons away from that level. Giving the OK to football to go to 51 full-scholarship offers means we need to raise enough money along with all the other income (including interest on the endowments) to balance the budget for the year.

And finally, I could also be wrong on this, but it was my understanding that part of the agreement by the Big Sky for admitting UNC was that UNC MUST raise their scholarship level to 63 (I think) and that had to come relatively soon if not right away. Not sure exactly of the exact requirement, but will try to find that out.

P.S. No, we don't have UNC on our basketball schedule and not sure if we will with them joining the Big Sky. But then we still have their number!!!! (Read that: SDSU 61, UNC 59 at the Guardian Classic in Rupp Arena!)

Comment

I might be wrong but I think an average of 57 is acceptable.  Our Bison friends may know more about that.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Here is what I was basing it on:

Not sure when UNC joined NCC but I thought it was early 80's.  I believe previous to 1980 they had no playoff appearances.  Then from 1990 - 2002 (Glenn era) they had 8 playoff appearances.  Would Glenn have been the coach if they weren't in the NCC, maybe.  

I choose to make the assumption that the level of competition and performance in the NCC encouraged UNC to upgrade their talent and level of play.  It seems logical but I will admit that my thought process may be flawed.  No doubt Glenn played a large role.

Your success the first year at IAA came on the coattails of a NCC championship team.  Last year and this year have not been so successful.

I would equate it to our womens BB program.  Without the high level of play from the ND schools I doubt we would have invested as much in womens BB as we have.  The results are obvious even as we move to DI.  Will that continue, we will see this year.

Make any sense or still just a joke?  Please correct me
                  Still waiting for a reply here. My guess, UNC fans assume Glenn made "all the difference". The quality of play at the NCC level had nothing to do with it. I suppose thats possible.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
                    Looks like I need a better explanation in regards to the football scholarship levels. I believe the department is going to attempt to fund 51 scholarships for football next year, and then I assume the goal will be to get to the magic 57 level by the following year.

This is a huge amount of money folks just to get to the 51 level.

Secondly, I am quite sure that SDSU must offer 57 or more scholarships two years in a row, before they will be able to play for those guarantees we would like to get for scheduling 1-A teams. Not an average of 57 over two years (correct me if somebody out there knows I'm wrong, but I'll be checking this to make sure myself of my facts.)

No way does the achievement of 51 football scholarships mean that we have reached an endowment level that will permanently endow those scholarships. The aim will be to continue to enlarge the endowment, but we are eons away from that level. Giving the OK to football to go to 51 full-scholarship offers means we need to raise enough money along with all the other income (including interest on the endowments) to balance the budget for the year.

And finally, I could also be wrong on this, but it was my understanding that part of the agreement by the Big Sky for admitting UNC was that UNC MUST raise their scholarship level to 63 (I think) and that had to come relatively soon if not right away. Not sure exactly of the exact requirement, but will try to find that out.

P.S. No, we don't have UNC on our basketball schedule and not sure if we will with them joining the Big Sky. But then we still have their number!!!! (Read that: SDSU 61, UNC 59 at the Guardian Classic in Rupp Arena!)

Chris Solari wrote a story on this topic awhile back, but it didn't make it to the online version of the Argus. I posted it before, I think it will be helpful.

Chris Solari
                    csolari@argusleader.com

BROOKINGS - Athletic Director Fred Oien said Wednesday that South Dakota State is in the negotiation process with three Division I-A schools for a future football game.
                    Oien did not name the schools, but rumors have been circulating recently that they include Nebraska and Minnesota. North Dakota State has been actively pursuing a game with the Gophers.
                    Oien said SDSU stands to earn between $400,000 to $600,000 for each game against a I-A school.
                    With changes in NCAA legislation that added a 12th game to I-A schedules, a burden on SDSU was lifted. Teams at the I-AA level must now only average 57 scholarships over a two-year span to play a I-A school and have it count toward the major school's bowl rankings.
                    Schools in I-AA previously had to average 60 scholarships over three years to get a game with a major I-A school. SDSU, in its second year at the I-AA level, offers 42 scholarships this year.
                    "What that means to us is that we're going to get to that 57 ASAP," Oien said.

So if we go to 51 next season and 63 (the I-AA max) the next we will have avg. 57 and be able to play a I-A team. Hope that helps.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Oien said SDSU stands to earn between $400,000 to $600,000 for each game against a I-A school.
                      Not sure what a scholarship is worth, I suppose it depends on what state the athlete is from. Just going with an easy $15,000 per scholarship number, a $450,000 payout would be enough to fund 30 scholarships for our programs. We need to do everything possible to get up to 57, these games will be huge for our athletic program.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks02

Not sure what a scholarship is worth, I suppose it depends on what state the athlete is from.  Just going with an easy $15,000 per scholarship number, a $450,000 payout would be enough to fund 30 scholarships for our programs.  We need to do everything possible to get up to 57, these games will be huge for our athletic program.
                        It seems unlikely we would fund scholarships directly from a big game payout. My guess is it would go into the endowment. $450,000 would net about $15,000 or $20,000 a year and thus would fund one or one and one-half scholarships.

Comment

Weather is looking up for the weekend. Friday night Jacks BB, Saturday "the backyard" and Jacks FB, Sunday-Wednesday some pheasant hunting and Thanksgiving day Thursday with Jacks BB that night!! Makings of a great week if you ask me.

Comment

Don't forget to have the women's game versus Nebraska on while you are in the Backyard. Tip-off is at noon on 910 AM.

Comment

Jackmd -- I stand corrected. Wasn't sure, but glad to hear it is an average of 57 over two year period. In regards to the guarantee, I wouldn't be too sure that wouldn't get used towards balancing the budget, including scholarship assistance, at least at first. There are ways to raise the endowment (planned gifts, trusts, appreciated stocks, etc.) that help over the long haul, but the cash is the immediate need and hardest to raise.
                              And I believe that the current figure for a scholarship as far as the department figuring their budget, is $12,000.

Comment

http://uncbears.collegesports.com/sp...111605aaa.html

Football Heads to Brookings to Battle South Dakota State on Saturday

Bears and Jackrabbits meet in Great West Conference battle.

Nov. 16, 2005

University of Northern Colorado Bears (4-5, 0-3 Great West)
                                vs. South Dakota State University Jackrabbits (5-5, 2-2 Great West)
                                Game #10 * Saturday, Nov. 19, 2005 * 12:00 p.m. MT
                                Brookings, S.D. * Coughlin-Alumni Stadium (16,000)

The Series: 33rd meeting. Northern Colorado leads 18-14, including 9-7 in Brookings. The Bears have won 9 of the last 11 in the series, although SDSU won 14-7 in Greeley last season.

The University of Northern Colorado Bears football team, fresh off a 24-3 victory over Sam Houston State in its home finale, hits the road for its final two games, starting Saturday at Great West rival South Dakota State (12 p.m. MT). The meeting is the 33rd in the history between the programs, dating back to when both were members of the Division II North Central Conference. Northern Colorado leads the series 18-14, including 9-7 in games played in Brookings. South Dakota State won last year's meeting 14-7, although UNC has won 9 of the last 11 against the Jackrabbits.

In an interesting side note about the two schools, this will be the second time in a week the programs have locked horns on the playing field. South Dakota State and northern Colorado played on the basketball court on Monday night, when the two men's hoops squads played in Rupp Arena in Lexington, Ky. as part of the Guardians Classic. SDSU came out on top 61-59 when a UNC 3-point attempt at the buzzer fell just short.

The Northern Colorado football team honored its nine seniors on Nov. 12 when the Bears wrapped up the home season with a 24-3 victory over Sam Houston State. The nine seniors (Reed Doughty, Shaun Farner, Bradley Forbush, Chris Gebhardt, Greg Gebhardt, Nick Hager, Brandon Joseph, Paul Sweitzer and Justin Zaitz) were honored in a pre-game ceremony. The seniors finished their careers with a combined 17-5 record at Nottingham Field.

Too much to post here. Other topics discussed in article include:

EALY RUSHES FOR CAREER-HIGH
                                ANOTHER FINE DAY FOR DOUGHTY
                                WILSON MISSES SECOND STRAIGHT GAME; STILL FOURTH IN NATION IN RUSHING
                                DOUGHTY AMONG THE NATION'S FINEST DEFENSIVE PLAYERS
                                VINCENT WHO?
                                THREE NAMED TO ESPN THE MAGAZINE ACADEMIC ALL-DISTRICT VII TEAM
                                DOUGHTY NAMED FINALIST FOR DRADDY TROPHY
                                ZAITZ GIVES EXTRA EFFORT ON P.A.T.
                                GREAT WEST CONFERENCE LEADERS
                                BEARS TV
                                FIRSTS FOR EVERYONE
                                SHUTOUT CITY
                                TOUGH TIMES IN FARGO
                                SPLENDID RETURN FOR HAGER
                                WILSON'S 100+ STREAK SNAPPED
                                2,000-YARD RUSHING CLUB
                                YOUNG TRIO OF LINEBACKERS STEP UP
                                BEARS IN THE NFL