UNI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNI

The only thing I would say about stopping the run is that if our d-line is as depleted as it sounds then sooner or later they are going to wear down. Usually 8-10 dlineman will travel and I am not sure we even have that many that are healthy.

Comment

We better learn to finish the entire game. Sounds like we may be playing the likes of UNI every year battling for conference championships. That's what my little bird is saying.

Comment

You guys are a great school and a quality program. I am sure the Jacks will bounce back.....

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
          We better learn to finish the entire game. Sounds like we may be playing the likes of UNI every year battling for conference championships. That's what my little bird is saying.
          Any idea when this little bird's source might speak more openly?

Comment

I don't know, but would guess probably after Western Kentucky declares they are moving their football program from the Gateway (I-AA) to the Sunbelt (I-A).

Go State!

Comment

My guess is he's referring to current Gateway member Western Kentucky, which is seriously considering a move to I-A and joining the Sun Belt for football (they're already in the Sun Belt for all other sports).

That would leave the Gateway with seven members.

Nine is optimal for football--giving you a balanced schedule of four away and four home games.

Where do you suppose the Gateway would quickly find two Midwestern I-AA football programs that will be playoff-eligible as soon as 2008?

This story was found by our Bisonville friends from the WKU campus newspaper:
              http://www.wkuherald.com/home/index....0-3d7da876053d

The Bisonville thread is:
              http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/ya...m=1153937292/0
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I also had to leave before half-time and was dissapointed the Jacks stick out the win.

Waiting to hear what those that saw the game live have to say.

At least it gives us some hope for future games, but I don't think UNI is a top 20 football team this year and we need a W in LA.

Comment

I hope we get this turned around. Getting run on is the ultimate insult to a defense. I don't buy Stig's "we're only 2 deep in each position" argument. I can count on one hand the amount of times I felt too tired on the field. Unless you're a WR or DB, you're just not running that much. WR's and DB's weren't the reason we were getting run on all second half. Plus, the "we're just short on depth" argument is a circular argument. If we are able to stop the run, we're able to force them into 3 and outs which means the D is rarely ever taxed. The only time a D gets tired is when they're giving up multiple plays. In other words, was our D tired which resulted in the bad second half or was the bad second half the reason our D was tired? Scheme it up.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I do have faith that our team will turn this around. We're not going to have a winning record, but I think we will surprise a couple teams and end up with 4 wins. Someone will overlook us and we will steal a couple. We have talent, so it's just a matter of it all coming together. My upset prediction - Cal-Poly. I just have a feeling. We've been close for 2 years and I think something will happen that we squeek this one out. Call me crazy, but I just have a feeling. I say we also beat SUU and Central Ark and William Penn. If we don't beat Cal-Poly, I say we beat McNeese St. There, put me down for 4 wins.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Just a brief synapsis of what I saw sitting in the stands. I have not read any previous posts so I don't know whats been discussed.

UNI kept us in the game during the first half by passing and turning over the ball when they could have pounded us with the run. They punted only on their first possesion.

Kardoes looked good. When he was given time by his O-line (who did a great job protecting the passer) he seemed to make good reads, not great but good. He even made a couple of nice passes.

O-line, as great as they were against the pass rush, could not create any holes. Credit to UNI LB's and DB's as the put a helmet in any hole that did open up.

Our run defense is absolutely terrible. The D-line got beat and the LB's and DB's seemed unwilling to fill the gaps or made poor reads. They killed us inside the tackles early and then when our D-ends would slant to fill the tackle gap they would misdirect, sweep wide and gain 10 yards before anyone touched them. UNI has some talented runners, but we seem light-years behind on defense.

Pass defense was good and our D-line pressured the QB.

Bainbridge had his worst game by far. I think he averaged 30 yd max. Really hurt us in the 2nd half as they had a short field the whole time.

When we didn't score a TD on the pick by Gentile I knew we were in trouble. Too many penalties again.

All-in-all a better performance, especially the first half, but still a long, long, long ways from a good IAA FB team.

UNIdome is far from a stellar facility. Somebody stole my SDSU car flag. My own stupidity for leaving it up during the game. Nice alumni tent before the game, burger, dogs, salads, and beer.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                        Somebody stole my SDSU car flag.  My own stupidity for leaving it up during the game.

Me too. >

Go State!

Comment

It appears that the Panther Nation has security issues that they might want to address:

http://www.panthernation.com/showthr...ed=1#post53007

**Edit**

After 38 responses mostly of UNI people telling horror stories about the lack of security at yesterday's game (best one/worst one was drunken students getting into the middle of their own band section trying to pick fights with the band) the thread was pulled. Like I said on their board, most of the UNI fans I came in contact with were very nice and respectful. It does seem that they have issues with a small segment of their fan base that has gotten out of control.

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                            It appears that the Panther Nation has security issues that they might want to address:

**Edit**

After 38 responses mostly of UNI people telling horror stories about the lack of security at yesterday's game (best one/worst one was drunken students getting into the middle of their own band section trying to pick fights with the band) the thread was pulled.  Like I said on their board, most of the UNI fans I came in contact with were very nice and respectful.  It does seem that they have issues with a small segment of their fan base that has gotten out of control.  

Go State!  
                            Ignore the problem and it will go away? Is that what they are thinking? Not asking or expecting to get a flag back, totally irrelevant. However, I didn't see a single authority figure in any of the lots. The Backyard is constantly being watched, which is a good thing.

Long and short, I came away from UNI with less respect for Cedar Falls as a community then when I arrived there. I now have a hint as to why.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                              [quote author=89rabbit link=1157993275/120#131 date=1158592905]It appears that the Panther Nation has security issues that they might want to address:

**Edit**

After 38 responses mostly of UNI people telling horror stories about the lack of security at yesterday's game (best one/worst one was drunken students getting into the middle of their own band section trying to pick fights with the band) the thread was pulled.  Like I said on their board, most of the UNI fans I came in contact with were very nice and respectful.  It does seem that they have issues with a small segment of their fan base that has gotten out of control.  

Go State!  
                              Ignore the problem and it will go away?  Is that what they are thinking?  Not asking or expecting to get a flag back, totally irrelevant.  However, I didn't see a single authority figure in any of the lots.  The Backyard is constantly being watched, which is a good thing.

Long and short, I came away from UNI with less respect for Cedar Falls as a community then when I arrived there.  I now have a hint as to why.
                              [/quote]

I feel exactly the same way.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                                I hope we get this turned around.  Getting run on is the ultimate insult to a defense.  I don't buy Stig's "we're only 2 deep in each position" argument.  I can count on one hand the amount of times I felt too tired on the field.  Unless you're a WR or DB, you're just not running that much.  WR's and DB's weren't the reason we were getting run on all second half.  Plus, the "we're just short on depth" argument is a circular argument.  If we are able to stop the run, we're able to force them into 3 and outs which means the D is rarely ever taxed.  The only time a D gets tired is when they're giving up multiple plays.  In other words, was our D tired which resulted in the bad second half or was the bad second half the reason our D was tired?  Scheme it up.
                                Only a defensive player could have put this so eloquently.

In two years and 22 games as a starter I can count on a closed fist the number of times I came out because I was tired.  Depth is an issue if you have 18, 36, 63, or 85 scholarships. Any of us that played had issues with depth at our position - not enough of it. But we did what players do, we stepped up and did what we showed up for every game day to do - played football.
                                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Working...
                                X