UNI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNI

Crawford isn't ready, I've had guys on the team tell me that. Crawford has some inability to make good decisions, not refering to the underwear man incident. Have we forgot about Burkhardt? Has the coaching staff forgot about Burky? We'll see what happens, we might just be seeing Jeske start next year.

Comment

Here are the QB's on the Jacks roster:

2 Ryan Berry* QB 6-2 195 So. Watertown, S.D.
      8 Reed Burckhardt* QB 6-1 205 Jr. Russell, Minn.
      11 Andy Kardoes** QB 6-3 210 Sr. Algona, Iowa
      12 Ryan Crawford QB 6-2 205 RsFr. Oro Valley, Ariz.
      14 Corey Jeske QB 6-1 185 Fr. Buffalo, Minn.

It is unfortunate how this season started. If the Wisc LaCrosse game had went as planned and another warm up game followed we may have been able to see all four in action. Assuming Jeske is being red-shirted. We may have to wait until Will Penn late in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
        Crawford isn't ready, I've had guys on the team tell me that.  Crawford has some inability to make good decisions, not  refering to the underwear man incident.  Have we forgot about Burkhardt?  Has the coaching staff forgot about Burky?  We'll see what happens, we might just be seeing Jeske start next year.
        Of course he isn't ready, he's a freshman who has never played a down in a college game. We're 0-3 with two really tough road games ahead of us. This is a great time for him to get under center and get some reps to start building towards the future.

Comment

Lost in this discussion is the fact that Andy played pretty darn well on Saturday outside of the pitch for a fumble, and a few missed reads.  In fact, I talked with a neutral observer (was at the game with his family as his daughter attends UNI) yesterday who said a lot of the UNI fans were very impressed with our QB play.  In all likelihood, if our defense could have stopped the run, or coaches schemed anything successful in the second half, we would have won against UNI and this discussion wouldn't be happening.  

Overall I was impressed with what I heard and the stats I saw for both Andy's passing game and running game against UNI.  I know they aren't a top quality D1AA defense, but he probably did buy himself a couple more games to see where we are at. Personally I am torn as to letting Kardoes work his way through a couple more games or scrap the season and start preparing for the years to come. Either way, I am wishing more and more that the basketball season would start Oct. 1.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
            Lost in this discussion is the fact that Andy played pretty darn well on Saturday outside of the pitch for a fumble, and a few missed reads.  In fact, I talked with a neutral observer (was at the game with his family as his daughter attends UNI) yesterday who said a lot of the UNI fans were very impressed with our QB play.  In all likelihood, if our defense could have stopped the run, or coaches schemed anything successful in the second half, we would have won against UNI and this discussion wouldn't be happening.  

Overall I was impressed with what I heard and the stats I saw for both Andy's passing game and running game against UNI.  I know they aren't a top quality D1AA defense, but he probably did buy himself a couple more games to see where we are at.  Personally I am torn as to letting Kardoes work his way through a couple more games or scrap the season and start preparing for the years to come.  Either way, I am wishing more and more that the basketball season would start Oct. 1.
            I too heard many UNI fans commenting on how well Kardoes played, including the fans I attended the game with. They were really impressed with how he played and his toughness during the game. They, as well as I, thought the run defense was what hurt the Jacks, giving up whatever yardage UNI wanted to gain.

Comment

Having been at the game myself, I think this Register story does it justice:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...27&page=25

Jacks upended in Cedar Falls

BY KELLY BEATON

CEDAR FALLS — Eight days ago, Division-II North Dakota force-fed Northern Iowa's gridders a sizeable slice of humble pie, in the form of a stunning upset loss.
              Saturday, a rather perturbed Panther squad planned on cooking up some rabbit stew.
              Instead, the Panthers inexplicably appeared to be the prey early on. However, 299 rushing yards — coupled with a defense that awoke from its early slumber to pitch a second half shut-out — helped UNI surge to a comeback triumph over South Dakota State, 27-17.
              Despite having a largely inexperienced squad limited by nine less scholarship players than what the Panthers (2-1) have, the boys from Brookings, S.D. stared the men lined up across from them squarely in the eye Saturday.
              "I think our kids played their tails off," said South Dakota State coach John Stiegelmeier. "We came out and played our game.
              "Unfortunately, we only played it for a half." . . . (read more)

I will also add that Andy played the best game I have seen him play as a Jackrabbit.

Go State!

Comment

I think alot of people are jumping ship pretty early. It's nice to win every game but since we can't make the playoffs the only games that really matter are the conference games.
                As soon as the conference schedule starts, it's like a start to a new season. It's way too early to be talking about preparing for the future.

Comment

Another game this Saturday, so 8-) .... A big upset would be very welcome!!!!

Comment

Is it time to dust off the saying "it ain't how you start, it's how you finish" yet?
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell2006
                      I think alot of people are jumping ship pretty early. It's nice to win every game but since we can't make the playoffs the only games that really matter are the conference games.
                      As soon as the conference schedule starts, it's like a start to a new season. It's way too early to be talking about preparing for the future.
                      If people want to jump ship now thats there choice. I want to see adjustments made with each and every quarter, half, game, etc... I look for improvement each week and I think we have seen a little bit of that. I hope this progress continues.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

MD-

It seems to me that somewhere along the line that you played football for State. Is that correct?

My question is how many times in your playing days did the coaches make wholesale changes at halftime of a game you were pretty well taking care of (except for stupid mental mistakes)? I can understand needing to make adjustments on the fly and changing the way a defense is calling between series but I think we are overstating the need for half time adjustments. You don't completely change what you are doing if you are doing it well.

P.S. I have never played football at the college level. I have been close/inside a few programs so I have seen a good bit of half time coaching in my day.

Comment

How important are half time adjustments and when are they needed?

Unofficially - 1st half total yards - SDSU 167 UNI 163 - pretty equal other than the scoreboard.
                          Unofficially - 2nd half total yards - SDSU 100 UNI 209

Yes, we were winning on the scoreboard, but when a team matches your offensive output adjustments need to be made slow them down.  You have to assume that if they keep going at the pace they are at eventually they will find the endzone. UNI made adjustments because they gave up 167 yards (which resulted in two touchdowns), not because they were down 17-3.  SDSU put together three first half drives of over 40 yards, UNI - 2 over 40 one of 38. Both defenses needed to make adjustments, and the offenses had to find ways to keep things moving. UNI wins because they made the right adjustments (that's assuming they made any - offensively it may have been keep doing what you're doing).

And yes, I played FB at State.
                          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

A quick retouch on the Kardoes question. At this point I don't see how we can have anyone other than Andy play QB. As much as I want to believe the season will turn around and conferenc play will somehow reveal an entirely new Jackrabbit squad, the reality is that's probably not going to happen. (I'm still down as saying we knock off someone big this year - someone will overlook us.) The question then is do you turn your back on your senior QB in his last season just because you want to get a redshirt freshman some looks? In reality, what sort of good does that do for anyone. The senior (and probably many of his senior classmates) are mad and that will negatively affect the program. The redshirt freshman playing only works if he succeeds. If he struggles, then it adds more fuel to any upset seniors, etc for pulling Kardoes. Also, if he struggles, what does that do for his self confidence for the future. Unfortunately, I think we need to stick with Kardoes and let him grind it out. It's really our only option right now. And this is coming from someone who has said for the last 2 years that he didn't look like a QB who could do anything but run.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

one other thing. I played T-ball for Joe Carr while in Miller. In case you were wondering.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I've seen neither QB play a game (ever), but I would agree with MJA's assessment of the situation. If the coaches are indecisive on who's running the team then the team will start to fall apart. My senior year we had some flopping back and forth between QB's and it sucked. Not knowing who's stepping into the huddle from series to series or game to game really takes it out of the team.
                                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Working...
                                X