Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNI

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
    How important are half time adjustments and when are they needed?

Unofficially - 1st half total yards - SDSU 167 UNI 163 - pretty equal other than the scoreboard.
    Unofficially - 2nd half total yards - SDSU 100 UNI 209

Yes, we were winning on the scoreboard, but when a team matches your offensive output adjustments need to be made slow them down.  You have to assume that if they keep going at the pace they are at eventually they will find the endzone. UNI made adjustments because they gave up 167 yards (which resulted in two touchdowns), not because they were down 17-3.  SDSU put together three first half drives of over 40 yards, UNI - 2 over 40 one of 38. Both defenses needed to make adjustments, and the offenses had to find ways to keep things moving. UNI wins because they made the right adjustments (that's assuming they made any - offensively it may have been keep doing what you're doing).

And yes, I played FB at State.
    Here's another telling stat regarding halftime adjustments:

Opponents 2nd half points this year: 54
    Jacks 2nd half points this year: 0

At some point, an adjustment needs to be made to try and stop the bleeding.  Whatever adjustments the coaching staff has been making up to this point sure have not worked out well.

Go Jacks !!
    “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
      A quick retouch on the Kardoes question.  At this point I don't see how we can have anyone other than Andy play QB.  As much as I want to believe the season will turn around and conferenc play will somehow reveal an entirely new Jackrabbit squad, the reality is that's probably not going to happen.  (I'm still down as saying we knock off someone big this year - someone will overlook us.)  The question then is do you turn your back on your senior QB in his last season just because you want to get a redshirt freshman some looks?  In reality, what sort of good does that do for anyone.  The senior (and probably many of his senior classmates) are mad and that will negatively affect the program.  The redshirt freshman playing only works if he succeeds.  If he struggles, then it adds more fuel to any upset seniors, etc for pulling Kardoes.  Also, if he struggles, what does that do for his self confidence for the future.  Unfortunately, I think we need to stick with Kardoes and let him grind it out.  It's really our only option right now.  And this is coming from someone who has said for the last 2 years that he didn't look like a QB who could do anything but run.

MJA:
      Your comments are correct and I would agree. I did not see the UNI game, but did see the WULacrosse. What still bothers me was how Barry did get his chance and really seem to have problems making good decisions. He had room to run but waits until he is across the line of scrimmage to pass. He would have been smart just to take a knee and get the four or five yards. The Barry poise we saw in the Georgia Southern game was not there in the WULacrosse game.

I do think Berry may need the entire season to re-think the LaCrosse game as it was not a good one on his part. Its easy to be critical as a fan, but I do think we have the right QB playing and lets hope he is still healthy to play on Nov 18. Those penalities that resulted from Berry's bad decisions were costly and stopped a series that should have put us in the endzone.

Comment

Originally posted by JackTwice
        MD-

It seems to me that somewhere along the line that you played football for State.  Is that correct?

My question is how many times in your playing days did the coaches make wholesale changes at halftime of a game you were pretty well taking care of (except for stupid mental mistakes)?  I can understand needing to make adjustments on the fly and changing the way a defense is calling between series but I think we are overstating the need for half time adjustments.  You don't completely change what you are doing if you are doing it well.

P.S. I have never played football at the college level.  I have been close/inside a few programs so I have seen a good bit of half time coaching in my day.
        Didn't play college FB and I'm not sure why you would assume that. Doesn't matter. I think those who have played FB at our institution have tried to satisfy your inquiry.

As for adjustments, I did play for a back-to-back state FB champion and I believe coaching was the biggest reason for our success. Each week we prepared for the opponent based on history, film, etc.. Sure, some teams we were just more talented and ran over them, others were clearly more talented than us. In those instances several schemes were available on both offense and defense. If the opening scheme was ineffective adjustments were made at halftime.

In other words, there wasn't a COMPLETE change in the plan but simply and ADJUSTMENT toward something else we had worked on. I am not seeing this in our offensive scheme right now. I am seeing this in the offensive and defensive scheme of our opponents.

Lastly, I'm no expert and I love playing armchair QB. If Stig wants to tell me to stick it, I'll say yes sir, you are the boss.

Go Jacks!
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I just watched the second half of the UNI game on the mediacom connections channel at lunch and was disappointed in what i saw. I think there was more offense going on outside of Union between Gay Right people and People who don't believe in Gay rights than in the second half of the game. The defense just wasn't around in the second half. I don't know what happened between fall camp and the season but things don't really look like they did during camp.

Comment

I think rjacks21's stat says it all: we're being outscored 54-0 in the second half so far this season! That is pretty pathetic, especially since we're supposed have such a good running game. Any defense (especially ours) is going to keep getting worn down if you can't move the ball!

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
              I think rjacks21's stat says it all: we're being outscored 54-0 in the second half so far this season! That is pretty pathetic, especially since we're supposed have such a good running game. Any defense (especially ours)  is going to keep getting worn down if you can't move the ball!
              Exactly what happended at UNI. They buckled down and ran the ball. We got the ball back on the kickoff and promptly went 3 and out. Bad punt, they are at midfield. 6-7 plays and they score. Kickoff, 3 and out, bad punt, they are at midfield, 7-8 plays and they score. Kickoff........ That is basically how the second half looked.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The part of the UNI game that bothered me the most was when we intercepted the ball and were on the 3 yard line 1st and goal and then get a delay of game penalty that moved it back to eight which changed the play selection completely. I have to blame Kardoes for this or the coaching staff for failing to get a play in promptly. If you recall we settled for a field goal and 17 points instead of 21 points. Those missed four points were momunenatal. The other call of having Berry throw the ball down field on his first play from scrimmage just makes no sense. I know Stig acknowledged this was a mistake in the postgame, but it just doesn't seems he is in control of making the big decisions when they are warranted.

Comment

Maybe I wasn't clear with my earlier post. My thoughts are Andy played well enough to earn another start. But, if there's going to be a change at QB, I vote for Ryan Crawford. Like MD, I love playing arm chair QB/coach

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                    one other thing.  I played T-ball for Joe Carr while in Miller.  In case you were wondering.
                    That explains a lot to me!

Comment

Working...
                    X