Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UC Davis

here is this mornings Terry Vandrovec story:

BROOKINGS - More than a few fans from a Hobo Day crowd of 15,248 - the third largest in South Dakota State University history - left Saturday's football game early.

They should have known better.

For the third time in four games, South Dakota State erased a double-digit deficit in the fourth quarter to beat a team ranked in the NCAA Division I-AA top 25.

In this instance, the Jackrabbits beat No. 16 University of California-Davis 22-21 in Great West Football Conference play at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

SDSU's darkest moment: Trailing 21-7 and the Aggies facing first-and-goal from the 1-yard line with less than 3 minutes left in the third quarter.

The Jacks high point: Quarterback Andy Kardoes threading a 9-yard touchdown pass to Dusty Snyders through multiple defenders on fourth-and-5 with 1:08 to play in the fourth quarter to cap a 91-yard drive.

Get the rest of the story:
    http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...42/1002/SPORTS

The only arguement I would make is that I don't think that there were that many that left. Maybe a few from the endzones but that was about it.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Wow ... what an exciting win. I don’t think I’ve ever rang my bell so much. (Did that sound dirty?) Anyhow ... CONSISTENCY, PLEASE! I’ll soon need a heart replacement if we can’t even things out a bit. Andy will play terribly for two quarters, but go nuts in the last quarter. I just don’t get it. I guess I just need to sit back and enjoy the ride, though.

One thing that bugs me ... the number of personal fouls we take. It’s high. And it’s week to week -- even year to year. My only conclusion is we need more discipline. I don’t think that’s an unfair criticism ... and maybe it’s aimed at the coaching staff. We have far, far too many personal fouls throughout the course of a year. And those and other penalities often seem to come on third downs and keep the other team’s drives going. For example -- the silly offsides when Davis was going to punt in Saturday’s first series Saturday. Instead of punting, they drive for a TD. And that offsides was ... just so blatant. +=+SHRUG+=+

OK, enough griping ... Sorry. We won. It’s time to celebrate. Good to see such a big crowd yesterday ... and the comback was amazing. Again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks02
        I'll predict a record CAS crowd watching the rabbits beat UC-Davis 24-21!
        Not too bad on my guess!

22-21 Jacks win with 3rd best crowd ever, although there was probably another 2,000+ fans in the tailgate area, another great Hobo Day!

Comment

It's not like South Dakota State hasn't tried to start the way it finishes. But, clearly, that's not the way this team operates.

Saturday's 22-21 victory against No. 16 UC Davis marked the third time in four games that the Jackrabbits overcame a double-digit, fourth-quarter deficit to beat a ranked team.

They trailed 17-6 with 5 minutes left at then No. 16 McNeese State, were down 28-6 with 8 minutes remaining at former No. 4 Cal Poly and faced a 21-7 hole with 11 minutes left against the Aggies. From there, SDSU has a combined 49-0 scoring edge without having to resort to an on-side kick, in each case posting the go-ahead score in the final 70 seconds.
          Read more of Terry's Story here. http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...24/1002/SPORTS

Edited by filbert: please use the quote block when quoting published articles...thanks!

Comment

I've posted some pictures and one video from Hobo Day over on the blog side of SDSUFans.com:

Hobo Day 2006 - Part 1

Hobo Day 2006 - Part 2
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Love the Bananna pants on Hobo Day ;D

There were so many defining moments in the game. One that stuck out for me is when Jeff Hegge gave his all to stop that dump pass to the RB for 79 yards. Great 3rd effort saved 7 points and the game. I remember thinking, well that shouldn't matter it's still on the one.... But add to that, 3 stops and a blocked FG!!

Comment

The Argus also had some nice pics from Hobo Day:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...003&Ref=PH

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...002&Ref=PH

Go State!

Comment

By the way, since their return on Hobo Day 2003 the Rabbits are undefeated in the yellow pants. They have come out for 3 Hobo Day games and for the NDSU game at home in 2004.
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

I have to say I was never a fan of the banana pants when I had to wear them, but the sure look sharp with the blue socks/stockings under them. That makes a world of difference. I would have still liked to be able to wear the all blue, though. Just once. Nice pics Filbert. My only complaint is there is no pictures of the Miller High School marching band in there.

By the way, my dad was at the game and couldn't talk enough about the play Hegge made saving that touchdown late in the game. He said he was all over the field all day, and that play was the apex of his great game. Gotta love a guy who won't quit.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Hegge was also the one that picked up the "fumble" and ran it back
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

I'd love to see a replay of Joe Hegge running that guy down. I was on the east side, at about the 40 yard line and the Davis back was scampering along the sideline and it looked like Hegge had a chance...then, as Hegge got behind the guy, the guy seemed to have a little extra to give and Joe's hand was within two inches of grabbing the guy but it appeared he wasn't going to get it done. So, he dropped his right arm, pumped hard a couple of times to make up the distance and tackled the guy ON THE ONE. I thought it was a valiant effort but Davis seemed intent on scoring.

And then I remembered who Davis was playing and it was late in the 4th. The Jacks own "late in the 4th".

The score is now history.

Hegge had a heckuva day. He, like the entire defense, is giving all he has for the entire 60 minutes. Early, it may not look like its enough but they just don't wear down.

Comment

Jeff Hegge was pretty good too!
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

I was on the east side at about the 5 yard line and I wondered the same thing. You could see him reaching for the guy but just not quite able to get him. I thought he had taken too steep of an angle. Then Jeff surged and swatted at the ball hard while tackling the kid. I knew we had a chance and then they jump and the ball is now on the 6 yard line. 3 big stops later and a blocked FG, the rest is history, quite literally.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Hey everyone. I'm new to the board, but a longtime SDSU backer. My wife and I came back to Brookings for the game and were not disappointed. First half was rough, and I spent the majority of the third quarter standing in line at the concession stand, but I saw the comeback. Awesome stuff! Too bad some folks were gone by that time. Great crowd, great game, great performance by the Pride. All around, a tremendous Hobo Day.

Comment

Welocme to the board, sdhistorian. The second-half crowd was to be expected (unfortunately) becuase of the cold weather, the 21-6 deficit, and the opportunity to tailgate/drink/avoid sobriety for the casual student/fan. As SDSU enhances its football program and traditions, people will be more apt to stay until the game is firmly decided.

Comment

Working...
                                X