UC Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UC Davis

Thanks El_Presidente. It was a nice moment for me.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by AggieFinn
      Great game.  It's games like this that keep me a fan.  Awesome comeback Jacks.  Nothing but respect here.  Jacks have their shot at the GWFC crown now, better get it before the conference passes into oblivion!   8-)
      Respect was earned and goes both ways. We were fortunate to win against a good Davis team. Good luck the rest of the way.

Comment

Thanks to today's game, my voice is officially SHELLED!!! Hope I can get it to work before Monday! LOL

Filbert, sorry I didn't get up to the soiree... I had a call that I might have had to go to Lincoln for the radio station, and by the time I found out for sure, it was too late... STUPID GM!!!
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

UC Davis played well in the first half. We couldn't stop the screen at all. I made the comment in the stands we were waiting until the fourth quarter before we started to play and I was almost right. We still had the bad interception but the D stepped it up and got the O moving in the second half. Very good game to go and watch. After the loss, I can see why it was hard for some of the Davis players to leave the field. Hats off to the Davis team too.
          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Back from the game and a little hanging out after the game.  Some of my observations:

Great crowd and at the right times, lots of noise.  If you think about it, the crowd was particularly impressive because 1) everyone there, with the exception of about 150 loyal Aggies (including a 60-member GREAT band), were SDSU people [consider what the crowd would have been if NDSU came down with its 2500 traveling fans]; and 2) At a minimum, there were 1,500 people in the backyard who apparently did not go through the turnstyles into the game...most were students and likely many may not have planned on attending BUT, if they had entered the stadium, NEW ATTENDANCE RECORD.

Great Aggie band...nice pre-game show and they did a nice job supporting their team during the game.

Aggies have some real weapons including #11, DE James Amos...the guy was beating on us so badly that the local cops should have been called!  He's a great player and certainly was one of the top two or three players on the field (maybe the best overall).

The Taco John's mascot, Whiplash (you've seen the TV ads: a cappuchin monkey riding an Australian Shepherd) was hilarious!  The darned little monkey and dog did a couple of circuits on the midfield before the game started and then the dog sat and the monkey shook hands with their handler.  I sat on the east side behind the Davis players and they were having a good laugh along with everyone else.

The Christopher Walkin "I gotta have more cowbell" clip on the scoreboard was a big hit with the Davis players early in the game.  They all turned and watched on the big screen.  Hmmm....they ignored it during the 4th quarter.  

Kardoes: THE GUY WAS, ONCE AGAIN, AMAZING.  People were commenting in my section about "just wait until the 4th quarter" and sure enough, it happened.  No one seemed particularly upset by the fact that we were down at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Davis moved the ball nicely on our defense in the first half.  But you know what, our defense played the entire game as hard as they started so that when the Davis offense had taken a few lumps, in the 2d half our defense was turning the tide.  Endurance?  Conditioning?  Great coaching adjustments?  Guts.  All of the above.  Davis didn't score in the 2nd half.  I'd like to see the Great West Conference defensive stats for 4th quarters only.  

That was fun.  Great atmosphere...something as simple as putting up some pennants and flags made Coughlin look great.

If you weren't there, you missed one of the better games ever played at Coughlin (in my recent experience, the comeback by the Jacks against NDSU two seasons ago was slightly better but only slightly).

Comment

To those who missed this, you missed a classic performance, this might rank in the top 5 of hobo games I have seen with the UNO Double OT game being number one. Once again the guys showed much heart and strength. Awesome crowd. 1-0 every week thats all that matters. This group of guys have the heart of champions and might have something to show at the end of the season.

Comment

San Diego State 14, Cal Poly 13 with about 5:00 to go.  D1-A San Diego State is looking for its 2nd win of the season. [Edit: Cal-Poly 16, San Diego State U 14 FINAL].

The Jackrabbits should be ranked this week by all services ranking 1-AA.

Comment

Hats off to the Jacks and the Aggies. What a show of heart by the team, they never give up. The D hung in there and when thinks looked bad, they stepped up BIG TIME. Anthony Watson now #2 career rusher at SDSU and achieved that milestone by having a great game. O-Line, what a performance.

I also have to give props to the Aggies for their play and sportsmanship. The thing that I noticed was that when SDSU got a big play on offense, their D went to pump up the guy the got beat. When the Jacks scored, whoever got beat got as much positive attention as the guy who scored for the Aggies. Heck of a team, and the Jacks can be proud because it was a hard earned victory.

Best news of the day: My Mom was released from the hospital after having two arteries that were 95% blocked opened up. One sister says that we shouldn't waste our tickets since Brookings is right on the way to Arlington, so my daughter and I, along with another sister, stop on the way and watch the game. I get there just in time to see the opening kickoff, see a beautiful game, and then continue on to make sure Mom is fine.
                  Mom is doing great, and more thanks than can possibly be said to Avera Heart Hospital.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

What a game, well worth the trip for my family and I. It was a tale of two halfs. A lot of credit needs to go to the O-line and the D-line. They turned the tide in the second half. I have probably been too critical of Andy and was in the first half today. He missed a wide open, and I mean WIDE OPEN bomb by 20 yards on that second possesion. He threw a horrible pick, under pressure, and took two sacks one way worse than the other.

However, when he had time, as some of you have correctly pointed out, he was great, I mean great. That said, kudos to the O-line for giving him that time. Great balance in the run and passing game. Just amazing how we were able to sustain those long drives. UC-Davis hit some great punts and kept pinning us deep but our offense responded with gritty running, timely passing, and great execution.

That second half was big time for the Jacks. The first half, outside of the our first drive and our second defensive stand was UGLY. Obviously, all that matters in the final score and today the team with more heart won again. That credit all goes to Andy Kardoes.

Great game for the Jacks, great crowd, best I have been a part of at CAS. Great coaching, great tailgate, just great everything. If you can't tell, I'm elated baby.

If you want to see the Jacks one more time at CAS I'll be there keeping a seat warm next weekend.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I have to echo the sentiments of everyone else. GREAT GAME BY THE JACKS!!!

I was not one bit worried that we were not leading until the end due to the fact that I believed in the defense and Kardoes would make the right decisions at the right time.

Outstanding catch by Snyders, some good running by Watson and some beautifully thrown balls by Kardoes.

The one things that bothered me was the success by Davis with the screen pass. The d-line should know that nothing comes easy and as soon as they got by the o-line that easily they should have known something was up.

JACKS WIN!!!!!

Comment

I would have to agree with what all the observers who were at CAS have said about the game. I too think No 11 for UCD was really having his way in the first half. I started focusing on his movements especially in the second half. We seem to have found a way to block him out and he was not getting at Kardoes as quickly as he was in the first half. No doubt in my mind that No 11 has a shot at the NFL.

The D keeps getting better and Danny Batten almost had the QB in the final play of the game. Danny distrupted the QB enough that he did not get off to No 24, also a very good athlete.

After 5 wins in arow and one more home game against William Penn, what can we expect besides a bad cigar?

Comment

What a great game...ranks right up there for me, right behind the NDSU comeback and a few others.  Will probably move up the list even more as it all sinks in.

My Observations:
                          I owe an apology to Mr. Kardoes, I really need to stop doubting him.  Even in the first half when he threw a bad interception, my stomach was turning, but he kept his moxy and came through in the clutch again.  I never thought I would say that we are going to miss Andy K. next year, but we sure as heck will.

The coaching staff deserves a ton of credit as well, what a great run, and more importantly the second half of each game - after adjustments - have all been outstanding.  We looked like two different teams today after our visit to our so called locker room.

Anthony Watson is just a joy to watch run the ball.  I honestly can't understand how difficult it must be to bring him down.  Glad he moved into number two all time, considering what Josh Ranek did at SDSU, that is quite an accomplishment for Anthony.

After reading some of the posts on anygivensaturday and elsewhere, this SDSU team needs to start to be given some credit.  I am sick of hearing people say this is lucky, or each team we have played has giftwrapped their game for us.  Maybe something SDSU is doing is making the opposing teams play bad.  We really didn't play all that spectacular today (especially in the first half) and still beat a very sound team.  If you think about it, Davis' three touchdowns were scored after:

1.  We jumped offsides on the punt after holding them to a 3 and out on their opening possession.  They than drive down the field and score.  If they punt after a quick stop, we get the ball and all the momentum in the 1st quarter.  We send a message right away saying they can't move the ball.  
                          2.  We give them the ball at about the 15 after Andy K's interception
                          3.  We give them the ball at about the 45 after a lackluster punt and some bad personal foul penalites.  

They score all three times on a short field or a drive that never should have happened.  Admitedly, we got some big breaks too, but things definately didn't go perfect for us all day.  It is impressive to say the least that we held them scoreless in the second half.  Our defense deserves some cred.  Offensive line played so much better in the second half as well.  

Crowd was great...I thought the endzones could have been louder a few times as Davis got close to make it more difficult for them.  It was also a little frustrating that so many people left after halftime.  Coughlin was jam packed in the first half, and then just full in the second.  Oh well, those that left missed a great ending.  

Gotta give props to my boy big blue hat man for getting me a jacks fannatics tshirt in their booth before the game.  Also to JackJD as he was recognized in the parade, I believe.  Both representing SDSUfans.com well.  We missed you RLIV, see you next week for WP.  We will have to have another board get together in the backyard next Saturday.  

"I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                            What a great game...ranks right up there for me, right behind the NDSU comeback and a few others.  Will probably move up the list even more as it all sinks in.

My Observations:
                            I owe an apology to Mr. Kardoes, I really need to stop doubting him.  Even in the first half when he threw a bad interception, my stomach was turning, but he kept his moxy and came through in the clutch again.  I never thought I would say that we are going to miss Andy K. next year, but we sure as heck will.

The coaching staff deserves a ton of credit as well, what a great run, and more importantly the second half of each game - after adjustments - have all been outstanding.  We looked like two different teams today after our visit to our so called locker room.

Anthony Watson is just a joy to watch run the ball.  I honestly can't understand how difficult it must be to bring him down.  Glad he moved into number two all time, considering what Josh Ranek did at SDSU, that is quite an accomplishment for Anthony.

After reading some of the posts on anygivensaturday and elsewhere, this SDSU team needs to start to be given some credit.  I am sick of hearing people say this is lucky, or each team we have played has giftwrapped their game for us.  Maybe something SDSU is doing is making the opposing teams play bad.  We really didn't play all that spectacular today (especially in the first half) and still beat a very sound team.  If you think about it, Davis' three touchdowns were scored after:

1.  We jumped offsides on the punt after holding them to a 3 and out on their opening possession.  They than drive down the field and score.  If they punt after a quick stop, we get the ball and all the momentum in the 1st quarter.  We send a message right away saying they can't move the ball.  
                            2.  We give them the ball at about the 15 after Andy K's interception
                            3.  We give them the ball at about the 45 after a lackluster punt and some bad personal foul penalites.  

They score all three times on a short field or a drive that never should have happened.  Admitedly, we got some big breaks too, but things definately didn't go perfect for us all day.  It is impressive to say the least that we held them scoreless in the second half.  Our defense deserves some cred.  Offensive line played so much better in the second half as well.  

Crowd was great...I thought the endzones could have been louder a few times as Davis got close to make it more difficult for them.  It was also a little frustrating that so many people left after halftime.  Coughlin was jam packed in the first half, and then just full in the second.  Oh well, those that left missed a great ending.  

Gotta give props to my boy big blue hat man for getting me a jacks fannatics tshirt in their booth before the game.  Also to JackJD as he was recognized in the parade, I believe.  Both representing SDSUfans.com well.  We missed you RLIV, see you next week for WP.  We will have to have another board get together in the backyard next Saturday.  

Believe me, I would have loved to have been there. I did party like I was 21 and at Hobo Day last night so that made me feel a little better. Although the headache that followed today reminded me why I only drink once in a great while now-a-days. I actually fell asleep for most of the 3rd quarter. I missed their long run down the the 1 and our FG. I'm sure exited to come back next weekend. As exciting as this game was, I would love nothing more to have the game against WP to be over by halftime. See ya next weekend.

Comment

Great win Jacks. Welcome to the top 25. I had you in my AGS poll last week and I expect that eveyone else will this week. If Davis can hold on, that will make 4 out of 5 GWFC teams in the top 25.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
                                Thanks to today's game, my voice is officially SHELLED!!! Hope I can get it to work before Monday! LOL

Filbert, sorry I didn't get up to the soiree... I had a call that I might have had to go to Lincoln for the radio station, and by the time I found out for sure, it was too late... STUPID GM!!!
                                No problem, my voice is pretty croaky this morning, too . . .
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X