Football's future upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Football's future upgrades

I should also say that I don't care what you guys want to play on or in, I was just stating my opinion that's all.

Comment

My bad, was referring to GoHerd. My apology. By the way, Im not knocking the Fargodome. I think its a great facility. Wish Sioux Falls had one.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Herd
        [quote author=HoboD link=1165242043/105#113 date=1171304752]

What you forgot to consider HoboD is that inside a dome people are more likly to spend 75% more money on concession stands and apperal due to the magicical atmosphere and comfort of a dome.  Thus the average price of the 75% increase of the concession stands items and apperal sales are $10.  We average 16,500 for a home game thats an added income of $165,000 per game.  And with 6 home games thats a whopping .990 MILLION dollars, so basically we break even compared to an outdoor stadium.
        See I can make up assumptions and number too.  It's pointless.
        First off, I just had to laugh at "Magical Atmosphere"......second, from a personal stand point I spend more when it's cold. Any warm food with a hot choclate is always a must. Plus, if it's colder than expected than it's a great chance to buy an SDSU sweatshirt, blanket, rain coat, gloves, hats, ie.....

Comment

can we stop talking about a done sense it prolly will never happen and a lot of people do not want it to happen. Frankly I would like to see some changes that i think would be cheap to do By cheap, all things considered im not talking about complete renovations or anything, just some new stuff.

1. I would like to see the players have a new and improved locker room. Built under the score board into a locker room and weight room.

2. I think it would be cool to add almost a horse shoe or bowl shaped but not all the way. Turn the far side into a cement and permenant bleachers and make a bowl about half way around the original height of the main side. So it would be like a mini bowl with one big grand stand side.

3. By providing some sort of stand or bleachers around the field it would put fans closer on the endzones and make it much more enclosed feeling. It would allow the players to run out of the field from a tunnel, not allowing them to gather on the edge of the field then to run in.

Its kind of hard to immagine what im thinking with out seeing some drawing i have, but it sure looks cool in my head.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon
            can we stop talking about a done sense it prolly will never happen and a lot of people do not want it to happen.  Frankly I would like to see some changes that i think would be cheap to do By cheap, all things considered im not talking about complete renovations or anything, just some new stuff.

1.  I would like to see the players have a new and improved locker room.  Built under the score board into a locker room and weight room.  

2.  I think it would be cool to add almost a horse shoe or bowl shaped but not all the way.  Turn the far side into a cement and permenant bleachers and make a bowl about half way around the original height of the main side.  So it would be like a mini bowl with one big grand stand side.  

3.  By providing some sort of stand or bleachers around the field it would put fans closer on the endzones and make it much more enclosed feeling.  It would allow the players to run out of the field from a tunnel, not allowing them to gather on the edge of the field then to run in.  

Its kind of hard to immagine what im thinking with out seeing some drawing i have, but it sure looks cool in my head.
            The locker room renovations and stuff will be occuring on the north side of the stadium. The east and west stands will be torn down and replaced with new ones, improving capacity to 16,000. Feel free to stop in the athletic department and ask if you could see the master plan for facilities, they really look pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
              [quote author=goon link=1165242043/120#123 date=1171327809]can we stop talking about a done sense it prolly will never happen and a lot of people do not want it to happen.  Frankly I would like to see some changes that i think would be cheap to do By cheap, all things considered im not talking about complete renovations or anything, just some new stuff.

1.  I would like to see the players have a new and improved locker room.  Built under the score board into a locker room and weight room.  

2.  I think it would be cool to add almost a horse shoe or bowl shaped but not all the way.  Turn the far side into a cement and permenant bleachers and make a bowl about half way around the original height of the main side.  So it would be like a mini bowl with one big grand stand side.  

3.  By providing some sort of stand or bleachers around the field it would put fans closer on the endzones and make it much more enclosed feeling.  It would allow the players to run out of the field from a tunnel, not allowing them to gather on the edge of the field then to run in.  

The locker room renovations and stuff will be occuring on the north side of the stadium.  The east and west stands will be torn down and replaced with new ones, improving capacity to 16,000.  Feel free to stop in the athletic department and ask if you could see the master plan for facilities, they really look pretty cool.  [/quote]
              I didnt know there was anything finalized? when would said improvements be taking place? They aren't moving the bleachers further away are they? Are they keeping them as close as the field as the are now? dont we have capacity for 16000 now?
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Don't be in such a hurry. The plan has been around quite awhile. The timing isn't set because first you have to find the money. On another thread, I posted that a big donation will be required to build the north Athletic Facility (lockerrooms, coaches offices, weight and training rooms, athletic study areas, etc. probably in the $12-15 million range.) The department is working on that, as we speak, along with a lot of other financial needs.

The stadium plan is just that. A plan. Not a detailed architectural drawing with the details finished. All of that can be seen at the athletic department like BHM noted. But the department doesn't go around getting expectations up until solid financing is in hand, and the need to go to the Board of Regents and the Legislature for approval is set. Then it takes time to get the plans done and the building process for things we are talking about take probably 18 months.

A 2009-2010 completion date might be the earliest the building will be done if the money becomes available soon. The stadium destruction and rebuilding will be a whole future project after that.

Comment

Has anyone heard anything on a timeline for the North endzone Fieldhouse or Student Athletic Development Center. Maybe some new information will be circulated at the Stan Marshall. I believe this project has been pushed in front of any other athletic facility enhancements. It seems there is still a lot of discussion around what will be contained within this facility?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                    Has anyone heard anything on a timeline for the North endzone Fieldhouse or Student Athletic Development Center. Maybe some new information will be circulated at the Stan Marshall. I believe this project has been pushed in front of any other athletic facility enhancements.  It seems there is still a lot of discussion around what will be contained within this facility?
                    The department expects to ask the Board of Regents at an upcoming meaning for approval to move ahead on the Student Athletic Development Center, which will be built on the north end of the football field (where the trees are now). If the Regents approve (they will, because there will be no state funds involved), the Regents will then put it on their legislative agenda to get legislative approval in the 2008 session.

They will be asking for authority to spend $15 million on the facility, although they may not have that much money, they want the authority to spend that (as they can't exceed the legislative approved expenditure) if they raise additional funds. The minimum needed will be $12 million, and a lead gift has been pledged for half of that amount, and a matching second gift is being pursued. If they get the money in hand, ground breaking would be held in 2008.

The facility will include locker room space for football of course, but the other outdoor sports as well (baseball, softball, etc.) It will include weight training facilities, offices for football coaches, and possibly other sports (again depending on the final dollar amount available), and a student academic center (study areas, tutoring areas, etc. for student athletes.)

Comment

There you have it...Will the facility be built with the ability to incorporate seating into the north end zone?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                        There you have it...Will the facility be built with the ability to incorporate seating into the north end zone?

I don't believe so. If you look at page 52 of the Softball Media Guide, I think you get a pretty good look at what the future holds.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary...Guide_2007.pdf

Go State!

Comment

89-thanks. You are correct it doesn't appear there would be room for seating on the North Side based on that configuration. It would be also difficult to do it on the South Side based on where the scoreboard is situated. I assume our capacity would remain relatively the same (16,000) if we add a similiar grandstand on the East side as we have on the westside unless we go higher on both sides assuming they will eventually tear down the west side and replace it. I imagine suites will also be added. The athletic development building is a major piece to the puzzle for several sports.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                            [quote author=JACKGUYII link=1165242043/120#129 date=1180979559]There you have it...Will the facility be built with the ability to incorporate seating into the north end zone?

I don't believe so.  If you look at page 52 of the Softball Media Guide, I think you get a pretty good look at what the future holds.

Go State!  [/quote]

Looks like they are going to need to find a new tailgate area when that happens. Thats a big building, looks like it takes up about half of the current tailgate area.

Comment

I had a conversation with Dr. Oien a few years ago and if I recall correctly at some point both the East and West stands will be replaced and stands will be put in front of the scoreboard on the hill.  This "phase" would sit between 16,000-18,000.  The new stadium will be designed to be expandable to 35,000 if I remember correctly.  

I was told the stadium would look very much like what Montana State has (with a bigger endzone building).

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks02
                                [quote author=89rabbit link=1165242043/120#130 date=1180980847][quote author=JACKGUYII link=1165242043/120#129 date=1180979559]There you have it...Will the facility be built with the ability to incorporate seating into the north end zone?

I don't believe so.  If you look at page 52 of the Softball Media Guide, I think you get a pretty good look at what the future holds.

Go State!  [/quote]

Looks like they are going to need to find a new tailgate area when that happens.  Thats a big building, looks like it takes up about half of the current tailgate area.[/quote]

It is also my understanding that yes, the "Backyard" will be moving at some point in time.

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                                X