Football's future upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Football's future upgrades

It would appear we could duplicate the Montana State facility nicely.

Comment

Is there any talk of installing artificial turf (like at Howard Wood) in the near future (within the next year or two) so last year's first game field situation isn't replicated?  Also, does anyone know about how much approximately it cost to update the field with artificial turf?

Comment

Although I don't believe there will be seating as part of the new structure, the concept drawings did show an observation deck on the second level. Also, the new facility will eliminate most of the "Backyard", but it will also provide a facility that can be used for indoor pregame, halftime and postgame festivites for fans. It will definitely be nice having a "warming room" between halves. I'm sure they will also designate a new tailgating area.

As for duplicating the Montana State, I think we can do better. I don't like how open their stadium is. I would rather see a full horse shoe on a lower set of stands, and then an upper level of stands on each side only. With the new indoor facility covering the North side and stands on the other three sides we could have a very loud and intimidating stadium. Then they could always add an upper level of stands in the South endzone by moving the scoreboard and mounting it to the indoor facility.

Comment

I don't know much but it is at a minimum over $1 million for turf. If anyone saw how deep those holes were when they installed the scoreboard....that thing won't be moved for a long time!

Comment

From what I have heard on here, friends at SDSU and other people through out the state. Money isn't the reason that artificial turf hasn't been installed. The problem is SDSU is a Land Grant college and with the grant they use it for turf and it just doesn't look good when you have an artificial turf on your football field....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
              From what I have heard on here, friends at SDSU and other people through out the state. Money isn't the reason that artificial turf hasn't been installed. The problem is SDSU is a Land Grant college and with the grant they use it for turf and it just doesn't look good when you have an artificial turf on your football field....
              Uh, no.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Is NDSU a Land Grant University?
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Please Please tell us the punch line as this this has to be a joke. Do you know how many Land Grant Colleges have artificial turf?

Comment

You are not serious, are you? :-?

Comment

I'm requesting that Ignore button again....please!

Comment

He's somewhat right about this. Michigan State had turf for a number of years, even though it has one of the best turfgrass management programs in the nation (which installed the natural grass in dome stadiums when the U.S. hosted the '94 World Cup). However, in recent years, there was a push to switch the football stadium back to grass because of this reason - why isn't an ag school using one of its best resources with the most visible part of the university? Spartan Stadium has had grass, and beautiful grass at that, for the last five years.

Comment

Okay, I deleted my post.

Go Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by sfsd
                            [quote author=joeboo22 link=1165242043/135#139 date=1181239438]From what I have heard on here, friends at SDSU and other people through out the state. Money isn't the reason that artificial turf hasn't been installed. The problem is SDSU is a Land Grant college and with the grant they use it for turf and it just doesn't look good when you have an artificial turf on your football field....
                            He's somewhat right about this. Michigan State had turf for a number of years, even though it has one of the best turfgrass management programs in the nation (which installed the natural grass in dome stadiums when the U.S. hosted the '94 World Cup). However, in recent years, there was a push to switch the football stadium back to grass because of this reason - why isn't an ag school using one of its best resources with the most visible part of the university? Spartan Stadium has had grass, and beautiful grass at that, for the last five years.[/quote]

Source Please
                            We...ARE...STATE!
                            SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by D-town
                              [quote author=sfsd link=1165242043/135#145 date=1181272194][quote author=joeboo22 link=1165242043/135#139 date=1181239438]From what I have heard on here, friends at SDSU and other people through out the state. Money isn't the reason that artificial turf hasn't been installed. The problem is SDSU is a Land Grant college and with the grant they use it for turf and it just doesn't look good when you have an artificial turf on your football field....
                              He's somewhat right about this. Michigan State had turf for a number of years, even though it has one of the best turfgrass management programs in the nation (which installed the natural grass in dome stadiums when the U.S. hosted the '94 World Cup). However, in recent years, there was a push to switch the football stadium back to grass because of this reason - why isn't an ag school using one of its best resources with the most visible part of the university? Spartan Stadium has had grass, and beautiful grass at that, for the last five years.[/quote]

Source Please
                              [/quote]

D-Town mussn't know who I am...but here you go:http://www.statenews.com/article.phtml?pk=6277 and http://wkar.org/specials/backtotheroots/

Comment

Originally posted by sfsd
                                So I guess this means you're someone important.  Don't be hurt, but I don't know who you are either.

Anyway, Michigan State...multi million dollar funds to maintain their turf AND they have a turf managment program. South Dakota State...a few bucks and Thorn and the crew scraping up whatever they can to keep the playing field looking good...and an additional team playing on the field.

I know we are an ag school, but there are plenty of other places on campus where turf management and the like can be highlighted.  I for one am all on board for field turf at CAS.  But then again, who am I to have a voice in any of this.
                                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Working...
                                X