Football's future upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Football's future upgrades

Thankfully the master plan does not include a track around the new football facility

Comment

Some thoughts:
      Originally posted by thebluehatman
      Thankfully the master plan does not include a track around the new football facility
      1) Master plans, however, are not written in stone. Nevertheless, a track around the field would be quite undesirable, IMHO. We should be thankful that SDSU has quite a bit of land to work with and a new track is not the top facility priority here.

2) I'm torn about the FieldTurf since we are a land-grant school that should be able to develop (and replace/repair) some good football turf. (I don't think I am alone with that sentiment.)

3) Since SDSU isn't really a "football school," (I know that some would disagree with me) getting donations for the new stadium may be quite a challenge. State funding is unlikely, but may occur if USD really needs something from the Legislature. State money, however, could easily have strings attached, such as:

4) The roof issue. I know some people swear that they would never attend another SDSU FB game if we built an indoor stadium, but those people would still come (like the Bison fans). IMHO, football should be played outdoors, but an indoor stadium may be necessary in order for SDSU to take the next step in building a top-natch, championship football program, especially since we can't draw after Hobo Day and when the weather is poor. I still favor an outdoor stadium, but my mind might be changed next November after the NDSU game.

Comment

Outdoor stadium is best if for no other reason then it is expanable.  You can start off at 16,000 and can build to 30,000 + someday if you need to.  Put a roof on it and you are stuck with whatever it was designed to hold.

I am going to try this again, if you look on page 60 of the '06-'07 Men's Baksetball Media Guide, you will see the conceptual design for the propossed student athletic development center (with indoor track).

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Va...uide/Index.cfm

Also is you look on page 53 of the '06 Women's Softball Media Guide you will see just how big that build will be in relation to CAS and the new Softball Stadium (looks like I will have to find a new place to tailgate when SADC is built).

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
          who's sdsu's big booster?  We at UNC are blessed to have the Monfort family.  They owned one of the largest meat packing plants in the west and currently the Monfort brothers own the Colorado Rockies. They really donated the most money for Nottingham field and have contributed to a lot since then.  

Going back to the student fees.  I don't think it's all that bad as long as it's voted on by the students.  

If you really want to know, write to the SDSU Foundation and request an annual report. We have several over 1 million in donations. The difference is that most have been given for academcis and athletes are not a their priority. UNC and Greeley may have the Monforts, but it comes with a price. We dont have feedlot and packing plant odors in Brookings like you have in Greeley and we are suppose to be cow college of South Dakota. What we need is more cowbell and no cow odor please   Being Monfortless is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
            [quote author=uncbearsfan link=1165242043/60#68 date=1169239301]who's sdsu's big booster?  We at UNC are blessed to have the Monfort family.  They owned one of the largest meat packing plants in the west and currently the Monfort brothers own the Colorado Rockies. They really donated the most money for Nottingham field and have contributed to a lot since then.  

Going back to the student fees.  I don't think it's all that bad as long as it's voted on by the students.  

. UNC and Greeley may have the Monforts, but it comes with a price. We dont have feedlot and packing plant odors in Brookings like you have in Greeley and we are suppose to be cow college of South Dakota. What we need is more cowbell and no cow odor please   Being Monfortless is a good thing. [/quote]

lol. very true but there is a saying here in Greeley. "it's the smell of money" I really do like the Monforts. As much as the little I know them personally, they've done some very good things here.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
              Outdoor stadium is best if for no other reason then it is expanable.  You can start off at 16,000 and can build to 30,000 + someday if you need to.  Put a roof on it and you are stuck with whatever it was designed to hold.

I am going to try this again, if you look on page 60 of the '06-'07 Men's Baksetball Media Guide, you will see the conceptual design for the propossed student athletic development center (with indoor track).

Also is you look on page 53 of the '06 Women's Softball Media Guide you will see just how big that build will be in relation to CAS and the new Softball Stadium (looks like I will have to find a new place to tailgate when SADC is built).

Go State!  
              I agree with the expandable characteristics of an outdoor stadium. Our friends to the south and the north will learn this quickly if they haven't figured it out lately. I am just so glad that our school's leadership has the vision to see what this campus and its athletic facilities will look like 10-20 years down the road. Now we just need to find the money and I think we will.
              Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
                who's sdsu's big booster?
                Here are the big local ones

Daktronics - World's largest scoreboard and video display company, based in Brookings. 2006 sales, $309 million
                Avera - Large and very successful health care company based in Sioux Falls and owner of Brookings Medical Clinic
                Larson Manufacturing - Storm door manufacturer (check yours... it was probably made in Brookings). Dale Larson is a treasure in this community. He has given literally millions to Brookings and SDSU
                First Bank & Trust - Locally-owned bank with more than $1.2 billion in assets... Much of Brookings' success as a community can be credited to the Fishback family.

Brookings has a surprising number of very successful companies. To the list above, add VeraSun Energy Corp., which had its IPO last year and has a market capitalization of $1.25 billion right now. Don Endres, VeraSun's founder, is another great SDSU booster.

Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I still can't believe that 2 SDSU electrical engineering professors decided one day that "you know, if you take these LEDs and put them in a rectangle shape and hook them up to a computer, you might have a useful product" and started Daktronics out of thin air.

Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

I notice the design calls for "magic carpet" to be rolled over the track for indoor practices.

IMO, you'd be better off with a tray system so you can have the new style turf over the old style.

Comment

Originally posted by 2006gwfcchamps
                      I still can't believe that 2 SDSU electrical engineering professors decided one day that "you know, if you take these LEDs and put them in a rectangle shape and hook them up to a computer, you might have a useful product" and started Daktronics out of thin air.

Amazing.
                      Amazing yes it is. I think both Kurtenbach and Sanders had seen way too many engineer grads leave the state never to return. The technology coupled with a garage company beginning proved to be the ideal solution for economic development in South Dakota. With facilities opening in Sioux Falls, Daktronics is becoming one of the largest state employers. Brookings has had crawl pace for traffic, but its interesting to come to Brookings from the west and meet car after car with a shift change that has just occurred at Daktronics and/or Larson Door, both shift changes are about the same time.

Comment

Speaking of Daktronics, They are a matching gift company (among others). So if you work for Daktronics and want to see SDSU improve and grow in athletics, academics, facilities, salaries, staff, etc. Make sure to fill out the paperwork and Daktronics will match a portion of your gift. If you work for another company check to see if they match gifts. Or check with the SDSU Foundation, I am sure they will be glad to help.
                        We...ARE...STATE!
                        SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Va...nter/Index.cfm

Check out the new 7 million dollar equestrian center at the site above.

Looks to me like it is a perfect design for an indoor practice facility. Move it closer to CAS and phase 2 could have been lockerrooms.

Instead of a statue of a horse, we could put a statue of Jim Langer.

LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Adding equestrian as a NCAA intercollegiate sport?

How about darts too?

Comment

How about darts too?
                              Knock off the smack on non-smack threads.

First and last warning.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

How about darts too?
                                Why do you come on here to add something that is totally irrelevent to the topic. I have a cousin on the equestrian team and she just loves it. Just becasue you don't understand anything about equestrian doesn't give you the right to bring it down.

And some Bison fans wonder why SDSU fans think we are all just a bunch of pricks?

Sorry Filbert, i just needed to say something.
                                "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Comment

Working...
                                X