Football's future upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Football's future upgrades

By the way some one earlier said we would never get a playoff game with an out door stadium. Wrong. Montana plays UMass in Missoula this Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD
      By the way some one earlier said we would never get a playoff game with an out door stadium. Wrong.  Montana plays UMass in Missoula this Saturday.  
      Did someone seriously said being an outdoor stadium would affect getting a playoff game? If we get into the Gateway and win the conference we'd get a first round playoff game even if we played our games in the Young Hall parking lot. The best teams in the nation win a home game. Until we get in a conference with an automatic seed and win that automatic seed, we're probably going to be destined to play any playoff game on the road because we would be an at-large bid and thus a lower seed. Has nothing to do with outdoor or indoor stadium.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I think they were talking about getting the SD High School championships out of the DakotaDome.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Looking back, your right, the reference was to high school playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks02
            Not to be argumentative, but mud didn't lose us that game.  

Poor preparation/execution and looking ahead to Montana did.
            Correct it didn't lose us the game, but it made it a different game. We should have adjusted, but without the mud I have no doubt the Jacks would have won. It's over and done, but the mud played a part, just as the dome/crowd and fast turf plays a part when playing in fargo.

I'm confident that those in charge are making plans to keep the field in better condition next year. (the field was still in rough shape to the end, but we were lucky that the rain stopped. ) And in the future I'm sure turf is on the table.

Bottom line. CAS will never be a dome, (thankfully) and the plans in place seem decent and exiting. The recent success at the CS (I-AA) level has definetly sped things along.

Comment

By the way, regarding the urban legend pertaining to beer company sponsorship, SDCL 35-2-6.1 prohibits the sale of alchoholic beverages "on the campus of any state educational institution. Campus is defined to include, "athletic facilities,". Bottomline it would take legislative action to approve. Not very likely.

Comment

Given the fact that they did not allow beer sales at Canaries stadium for the SDSU Baseball games, should reinforce that statement.

Comment

My guess is that was an SDSU policy decision. As I read the statute, the Birdcage would not be within the defintion of "campus" so they probably could have sold beer had they wanted to.

By the way, for those who have been to the Englested Arena and noticed the beer sales during Sioux hockey games, the Englested is NOT on the UND campus nor is it owned by UND. It is owned by the Englested foundation which inturn leases the facility to UND for a nominal consideration.

Comment

I believe the idea of beer sales at athletic complexes is a good and a profitable one. As for the legislator, lets get the beer lobby yelling and screaming for us. Remember, we have one of the most powerful jackrabbits in the state as our governor. Lets get the ball rolling before we have someone like Abbott in office.

Comment

I know it will probably never happen.... but... There is a good possibility that beer sales inside the stadium would induce some of the 3-5 thousand tailgaters that typically never enter the stadium thru the gates... That would help out the atmosphere.. Louder.. more ticket sales.. etc.

Comment

I don't mind that it's not currently allowed in the stadium, I don't think it's a line that the University should cross and doubt that it will.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD
                          By the way, regarding the urban legend pertaining to beer company sponsorship, SDCL 35-2-6.1 prohibits the sale of alchoholic beverages "on the campus of any state educational institution.  Campus is defined to include, "athletic facilities,".   Bottomline it would take legislative action to approve.  Not very likely.
                          I believe it is up to the institution to allow alchoholic beverages or not.  Creighton allows the sale of alchohol at it's BB games but that they play in the Qwest Center which is not on campus and is run by the city of Omaha.  NDSU could offer beer in the FargoDome but they choose not to.  There might be a reason Creighton ranked 20th last year in overall attendance for men's BB.  

http://www.gocreighton.com/sports/co...articleID=5193

It might just have something to do with their very talented team as well!!!  

Comment

The Fargodome and Qwest are both off campus. In SD state law prohibits beer sales on campus. Off campus such as the Swiftel, SF Arena, Birdcage, etc. would appear to be at the option of the intitution.

35-2-6.1. State educational institutions--License to operate on campus prohibited-- Exceptions--"Campus" defined. No on-sale or off-sale license may be granted under this title to operate on the campus of any state educational institution. However, if the outside boundary of any state educational institution is extended this section does not apply to any license granted previous to the extension. The provisions of this section do not apply to the school for the deaf established by chapter 13-62. For the purpose of this section, "campus" shall mean only the area immediately surrounding the buildings used for classrooms, administrative offices, athletic facilities, and housing.

Comment

South Dakota Law or not...I don't believe SDSU would sell alcholoic beverages based on the fact we don't sell it in SF at the Canaries stadium.  I guess that was the point I was trying to get across.  

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                                South Dakota Law or not...I don't believe SDSU would sell alcholoic beverages based on the fact we don't sell it in SF at the Canaries stadium.  I guess that was the point I was trying to get across.  
                                I agree.  And I think a good policy.  An educational institution should not get into the business of promoting alcoholic beverages particularily tied to their athletic programs.

Comment

Working...
                                X