This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DieselJacks View Post
    I hope Chase can be like Taysom Hill of the Saints and be willing to play reciever/running back/ tight end as well. One of the best overall athletes I have ever watched
    That would be cool. It takes a lot of investment on the coaches end to make it happen though, and might be tough to give a kid who just transferred in. I am assuming Chase will move to Brookings for the spring semester, hopefully we get to see him in the spring game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• This is an interesting development. Personally, I don’t think anyone is going to have a higher ceiling than Gronowski, as long as he’s healthy. Not just in his physical talent, but in his leadership. When we talk about how the team was mentally tough this spring, a lot of that came directly from Mark. What I’m wondering is if the coaches get the sense that Mark’s injury is going to keep him sidelined longer or impact his style of play significantly going forward, which would help explain Chase coming in as a QB. If none of that is the case, I would hope that Chase is prepared to switch positions to see the field. I do not see anyone upending Gronowski if he’s fully healthy, for both his physical talent and leadership. If Chase does come in and win the starting job, I would hope we can keep Mark on the team and find a significant role for him to play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
        This is an interesting development. Personally, I don’t think anyone is going to have a higher ceiling than Gronowski, as long as he’s healthy. Not just in his physical talent, but in his leadership. When we talk about how the team was mentally tough this spring, a lot of that came directly from Mark. What I’m wondering is if the coaches get the sense that Mark’s injury is going to keep him sidelined longer or impact his style of play significantly going forward, which would help explain Chase coming in as a QB. If none of that is the case, I would hope that Chase is prepared to switch positions to see the field. I do not see anyone upending Gronowski if he’s fully healthy, for both his physical talent and leadership. If Chase does come in and win the starting job, I would hope we can keep Mark on the team and find a significant role for him to play.
        Looks like rehab is going well. http://www.twitter.com/mgronowski7/s...75748042301450

Comment

• Little different at QB but PS2 and Isaiah have proven a two headed monster can work. Also, there are plenty of programs that successfully implement a 2 QB system. Both guys are mobile and can throw. The toughest position to hold onto talent because of playing time but depth is crucial.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
            Little different at QB but PS2 and Isaiah have proven a two headed monster can work. Also, there are plenty of programs that successfully implement a 2 QB system. Both guys are mobile and can throw. The toughest position to hold onto talent because of playing time but depth is crucial.
            Id say QB is way different. Most of those teams that use two QBs use one sparingly as a run first guy (like UND with Quincy Vaughn) and it isn’t a true 2 QB system. Splitting snaps between two guys has a lot more downside than upside in my opinion, and I think utilizing either one of these guys for 10 snaps a game as a running QB would be a waste of talent.

Comment

• We all know how good mark can be and if chase can come in and win the job that is only better for the football because that would mean chase is really really good. Obviously you would like to find a way to keep them both happy but a 2 QB system is not it. Pickup the one that gives you the best chance to win and stick with him. If that means we lose one then we lose one and will sign another in the next class.

Comment

• Do we know if Stefan Coleman is at SDSU? He is not on the roster, but his twitter account still lists SDSU.

Comment

• Very interesting indeed. I like it.

How will Gronowski's overall game be impacted if he's a step slower post-injury? He did very well as a passer, but most would agree that it was the "he runs like a running back" part of his game that really made him an exceptionally dangerous weapon.

Assuming that rushing skill comes back, can he physically hold up in a 11+ game season if they continue to use him as a part time running back? I'd want an outstanding backup ready to go if the plan is to let Mark get hit like he did in the spring.

Comment

• i think the running was an important weapon for mark, NO DOUBT. and NO QUESTION he is a far far more gifted runner than chris and much MORE of a threat to be reckoned with. ALSO if he is going to run like that it is an increased risk! but TC ran a fair amount throughout his career and i do not think ever had a significant injury due to his running. the only meaningful injury i am remembering is the finger/ hand problem in the JMU game. believe me i wish i could forget!!!!! but i believe that was due to hitting a helmet while throwing

anyway running is a weapon for mark, and i imagine if he plays again he will use all of his weapons

BUT that said i DO NOT think it is the running that made him such a great QB

it is SO HARD to quantify but i think it is his intangibles. i really think some of the FUNK this team has experienced compared to last year is due to NOT having him on the field. i believe he is one of those people who raises up the people around him and i think the offense just had another gear with him behind center because of the things that cannot be measured

and while the defense has had some annoying moments, i really think the trouble this team has had comes from the O side of the ball. at least minus the SIU game, but that one was very unique because it was during that game losing backhaus but also the strange circumstances that kept the defense on the field SO LONG

the other two losses we did not score. the defense definitely had some moments of difficulty but MORE THAN held the other team in check enough for us to win the game

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
                      i think the running was an important weapon for mark, NO DOUBT. and NO QUESTION he is a far far more gifted runner than chris and much MORE of a threat to be reckoned with. ALSO if he is going to run like that it is an increased risk! but TC ran a fair amount throughout his career and i do not think ever had a significant injury due to his running. the only meaningful injury i am remembering is the finger/ hand problem in the JMU game. believe me i wish i could forget!!!!! but i believe that was due to hitting a helmet while throwing

anyway running is a weapon for mark, and i imagine if he plays again he will use all of his weapons

BUT that said i DO NOT think it is the running that made him such a great QB

it is SO HARD to quantify but i think it is his intangibles. i really think some of the FUNK this team has experienced compared to last year is due to NOT having him on the field. i believe he is one of those people who raises up the people around him and i think the offense just had another gear with him behind center because of the things that cannot be measured

and while the defense has had some annoying moments, i really think the trouble this team has had comes from the O side of the ball. at least minus the SIU game, but that one was very unique because it was during that game losing backhaus but also the strange circumstances that kept the defense on the field SO LONG

the other two losses we did not score. the defense definitely had some moments of difficulty but MORE THAN held the other team in check enough for us to win the game
                      I agree with this. The confusing lack of response to adversity this fall I think has to do with Mark’s absence more than anything else. That’s not a knock on Chris at all, btw. He’s done an excellent job. But the same intangible that led mark to win the starting job this spring had a big impact on the team’s ability to make a run this spring.

Comment

• yes that is what i was trying to get at. since i am not coaching any more, i do not run into coach Stig as much as i used to. i would love to ask him about this, but my sense from the way he spoke about mark NOT getting the job because of other injuries AND saying he WON the job AND talking about how upperclassmen looked at him as the leader

those things give an indication of a unique person who has the ability to lead and to lift others to be able to do things that they maybe did not know they could. and i think the O line was better last year and i think mark had a role in that

i remember talk about the special relationship he had with garret greenfield. last year garret was an all american this year not even all conference

these things are SO HARD to explain or quantify or understand, therefore i usually do not talk about them, because it almost seems like crazy talk or something, but there is NO DOUBT some players have more intangible benefit for a team than others

and yes mr tibbs, this is ZERO knock on chris!!!! he has done so many good things and we are very blessed he decided to come here. and he seems like an absolutely great kid!!!! WOW saw him do the interview after the UND game and he gave one of the best interviews i have heard from an athlete in a long time!!! but i think it is more than obvious that he would not have won the job from mark if they were to compete for the job head-to-head

also, i do think it also impacts the team having davis back. and that one is TOTALLY about attitude. because i do not think you can make any argument that he and pierre are not equal as running backs. pierre is amazing. he has had an awesome career and he has so carried the load this year!!! and i highly doubt he comes back next year but i would be THRILLED if he does

but i think davis runs with a different attitude than pierre does and i also think THAT rubs off on his teammates. so losing both of those players was a GIANT challenge to try to overcome. i know we lose a LOT of seniors this year. i really hope we can find the right people to fill those spots, because i think having mark and isiah for 2 or 3 more years together could be unbelievable

Comment

• We've had three different QBs each of the last three seasons, all of whom were new to the program. All have performed extremely well. I have zero concerns about next year. Whether it be Chase, Mark, Rudy or someone else we are sitting in a great spot at that position. I like our WRs, but I wish we had a burner out wide. I don't know enough about any of the QBs to determine if they would qualify as a burner, but we need someone who can stretch the field and open more underneath stuff for the Jankes and the TEs, Cade 2.0.
                          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

• Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                            We've had three different QBs each of the last three seasons, all of whom were new to the program. All have performed extremely well. I have zero concerns about next year. Whether it be Chase, Mark, Rudy or someone else we are sitting in a great spot at that position. I like our WRs, but I wish we had a burner out wide. I don't know enough about any of the QBs to determine if they would qualify as a burner, but we need someone who can stretch the field and open more underneath stuff for the Jankes and the TEs, Cade 2.0.
                            Chase Mason PR 100M (10.94), 200M (22.77) 6 months after suffering an ACL tear.
                            Angel Johnson (Chase's HS teammate) is listed as a WR but provided depth at RB this year. Angel has better speed than Chase.

Comment

• Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                              We've had three different QBs each of the last three seasons, all of whom were new to the program. All have performed extremely well. I have zero concerns about next year. Whether it be Chase, Mark, Rudy or someone else we are sitting in a great spot at that position. I like our WRs, but I wish we had a burner out wide. I don't know enough about any of the QBs to determine if they would qualify as a burner, but we need someone who can stretch the field and open more underneath stuff for the Jankes and the TEs, Cade 2.0.
                              Landon Wolf has the ability to help with that if he gets the extra year of eligibility.

Comment

• Where does J'Bore fit in our QB discussion? IF everyone gets healthy that room will be suddenly very crowded.

Comment

Working...
                                X