• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98Jackfarmer
    replied
    Re: GDT: LIU Sharks

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Now this is a quote...
    Use it however you want. I have no problem with the "cops" there. But do they really need to dress like its a violent rally?

Leave a comment:

• BTownJack
    replied

I don't really see what all the fuss is about with UPD. I get they've had their shortcomings over the years but we feel zero UPD presence when I'm tailgating. We tailgate near where this 'incident' happened on Saturday, in the Briggs Library parking lot. This is year 4 or 5 of the DJD stadium and our group has been asked to present ID one time, ONCE. And that was the first year of tailgating there. We've only went and gotten our wristbands 1 time and that was also 3-4 years ago. So, I'm in the camp that we have bigger problems than UPD as to why a majority don't tailgate or come to the game. I feel it is just an easy excuse for people to use as to why they don't come. We just don't have an engaged enough fanbase to show up to games that aren't USD or NDSU. We can't expect UPD to just look the other way while underage drinkers roam outside the stadium, no matter who our president is.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
    However, I would rather take my chances with a mass shooting/terrorist attack.
    Now this is a quote...

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    Seems like the discussion has gone slightly astray of the Long Island U. game.

I suggest that it would be more appropriate to start a dedicated thread to UPD issues in "SDSU News and Comment" if further discussion is desired.
    Any chance the posts mentioning UPD and not focusing at all on the game could be moved to another thread?

The one post borders on inflammatory in that it suggests the officer involved in the altercation with the teen is involved in crowd control and seems oblivious to the fact that if UPD overgeneralized in a similar manner (e.g., stated that all tailgaters are like the students who misbehaved on Hobo Day a few years ago) there'd be a forum meltdown. Regardless, hopefully anyone interacting with the powers that be are more diplomatic and seek genuine compromise (recognizing that compromise will almost inveitably require them to experience some "inconvenience").

Unless the ever-connected podcasters and insiders on here are privy to privileged information regarding the presence of the "drug dog" and "SWAT team," it might be worth considering that law enforcement might have received a report/tip that prompted such a response. Seems a few of our fellow posters have never engaged in thankless work/volunteering. Maybe a police ride-a-long would be enlightening to those folks.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Well stated Nebraska Jack. What is purpose of coming to stadium? I believe it is watch football game, but some other things get in the way.

Leave a comment:

• 98Jackfarmer
    replied

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
    Whenever you have 10,000 plus people at a venue you better have bomb sniffing dogs. You also need to have officers with high powered rifles to take out any potential shooters or snipers. It is a part of any major event anymore and if it isn't, you are playing with fire. Those dogs walking around serve a much higher purpose than scaring your children or ruining your partying.

Having worked security for the CWS, the Elite Eight, major concerts Creighton games, etc I find it kind of funny how simply everyone disregards all of the liabilities the University is at risk of if a situation goes wrong. One mismanaged incident involving alcohol, like an elderly person being knock down a flight of stairs can wipe out years of revenue.

I am sure UPD can be jerks, they were when I was there but try being in their shoes. They are given guidelines to follow whether they agree with them or not. Compound that with a few hundred drunks that don't feel they have to follow any of the policies they are asked to enforce. I've been there over and over, not a fun place to be in.

I drink beer at events and am personally in favor of it, but it is much more than a stubborn president.
    I get what you are saying and I can't argue it. However, as soon as you allow one alcoholic drink to be allowed, the genie is out of the bottle. With that said, I don't condone obnoxious behavior, I've done it, not proud. However, I would rather take my chances with a mass shooting/terrorist attack. Walking around game day with groups of "heavily armed swat team" looking officers really makes you feel like you are in internment camp and any misstep might get you drug away never to be seen again. JMO. Sorry to extend, didn't know how to reply otherwise.

Edit: The longest we have ever tailgated has been maybe a couple hours.
    Last edited by 98Jackfarmer; 09-08-2019, 07:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

Seems like the discussion has gone slightly astray of the Long Island U. game.

I suggest that it would be more appropriate to start a dedicated thread to UPD issues in "SDSU News and Comment" if further discussion is desired.

Leave a comment:

• NebraskaJack
    replied

Whenever you have 10,000 plus people at a venue you better have bomb sniffing dogs. You also need to have officers with high powered rifles to take out any potential shooters or snipers. It is a part of any major event anymore and if it isn't, you are playing with fire. Those dogs walking around serve a much higher purpose than scaring your children or ruining your partying.

Having worked security for the CWS, the Elite Eight, major concerts Creighton games, etc I find it kind of funny how simply everyone disregards all of the liabilities the University is at risk of if a situation goes wrong. One mismanaged incident involving alcohol, like an elderly person being knock down a flight of stairs can wipe out years of revenue.

I am sure UPD can be jerks, they were when I was there but try being in their shoes. They are given guidelines to follow whether they agree with them or not. Compound that with a few hundred drunks that don't feel they have to follow any of the policies they are asked to enforce. I've been there over and over, not a fun place to be in.

I drink beer at events and am personally in favor of it, but it is much more than a stubborn president.

Leave a comment:

• BigGoosie13
    replied

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    https://twitter.com/argusleader/status/1007035106375159809?s=21

So this is who we have policing our tailgates. With K-9 units. Which is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hell, this brings up a memory from my sophomore year of school. Me and a few of my other friends were walking form Brown Hall to the Union to grab some supper during the dead of winter, aka, everything not sidewalk was covered in 18+ inches of snow. Anyways, 2 UPD officers decided to drive down the sidewalk that goes from the Union to the Jackrabbit Village and eventually Brown Hall during the supper rush hour when we were naturally walking on the sidewalk. They turned on their cherries and asked us for identification and threatened to arrest one of my buddies, all because we didn't move out of their way promptly enough for their liking (hint: we had nowhere to go), I guess we were being disrespectful. 9 years later and nothing has changed.

Don't get me started on how bad UPD botched those rapes my freshman year.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    I feel like you’ve complained about this stuff before....
    Sorry dont read it then. There has been a lot of discussion that has been rehashed about tailgating and ups etc. I will check with you if I should post any of my thoughts or experiences. Carry on.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

https://twitter.com/argusleader/stat...375159809?s=21

Aren’t they lovely? UPD has been that way since I was in school. Not sure if it’s changed but it was mostly young kids back then. Seemed most were on a power trip.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Well I work next week so that's not going to happen. Taking a family of 5. that's 5 tickets snacks because it's hard to make kids sit through a 3 hour game with out snacks. 10 bucks for parking because hauling a 2 year old from the free lots isnt fun ao try to park reasonably close. Half a tank of gas to get to Brookings and back to sf. It adds up. Remember its discretionary income that sdsu is trying to get people to use. When people only have so many options to use their discretionary funds on and it's an issue for enough people plus like yesterday cool and rainy and it's on tv. I doubt attendance would be much better if any if the game isnt on tv.

The kid zone area is ok but a couple bouncy houses is nice but it could be so much more. The summit fan fest is good example. Why not have a punt pass and kick stations set up on the field turf. I get not wanting to ruin the field but dont have food or drinks on it. Little things would make such a better experience for families. Its tricky for us with a 22 month old who needs naps. If it was only our older kids would probably spend a lot more time before the game.
    I feel like you’ve complained about this stuff before....

Leave a comment:

• thumper_76
    replied

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
    No joke, the one and only tailgate I went to last year I got stopped and carded three different times by UPD after appropriately getting my wristband and stamp upon entry into the tailgate with their reasoning being that they weren't the ones that carded me specifically. A serious bunch of bull****, really ruined the fun atmosphere. All you are doing is encouraging people to do is either come hammered to the game from downtown or a party, or go downtown or to a party and not make it to the game at all.
    https://twitter.com/argusleader/stat...375159809?s=21

Leave a comment:

• BigGoosie13
    replied

On UPD, I wasn’t at the incident described, I just saw it on Twitter. But when I got wristbands for our lot and tried to joke with the UPD officer there the dude just glared at me and literally didn’t respond. They really are not a positive thing for the University in any way. Instead of being there in case something happens they are there to be enforcers and they enjoy it IMO. They had a freaking drug dog walking around by Briggs. I mean, are you kidding me? Nothing like pulling into the lot and being greeted by a cop in a bulletproof vest with a K9. I sure wanna party there SMH. There is a good portion of them who feel they are there to show how badass they are IMO instead of to be there to assist and serve. It’s pretty gross. The funny thing is the UPD guys I run into in the stadium are great, at least on the east side.
    No joke, the one and only tailgate I went to last year I got stopped and carded three different times by UPD after appropriately getting my wristband and stamp upon entry into the tailgate with their reasoning being that they weren't the ones that carded me specifically. A serious bunch of bull****, really ruined the fun atmosphere. All you are doing is encouraging people to do is either come hammered to the game from downtown or a party, or go downtown or to a party and not make it to the game at all.

Leave a comment:

• Gojacks2487
    replied

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    I am reposting my own post again since I was impressed with the coaches comments. He mentions that SDSU was once D2 and now has great facilities and a top notch FCS program. He said he had never since that much speed on defense. Also he casually mentions that some of the administrators from LIU were along on the trip to observe how it is done here in the middle of no where. Gee, despite a bullheaded president and a corrupt UPD, we must be doing something right,
    You cant give Dunn any credit what so ever. He inherited it. He wants us to be like a small boringTexas school for heaven saks. Something needs to change with upd walking around inspecting tailgating sites looking for violations its BS. And dogs really my 4 yr old climbed me like a tree when she saw him walking toward us. The whole tailgating doesn’t open till 5 hrs prior is dumb why couldn’t be have been there earlier we pay for the damn spots let us use em.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X