• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mango4
    replied
    Re: Playoffs 2016: Nova

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
    I was in Section 120. The one guy is a regular who is not a fan of any of the coaches, a fact he's made known during multiple games. He also likes to point out that "everyone has a scholarship" which should be pulled immediately if/when the player makes a mistake.
    We were in 120 as well, didn't hear any of this. Most of the people around me thought that Taryn just looked off yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• mitchellrabbit
    replied

I was in Section 120. The one guy is a regular who is not a fan of any of the coaches, a fact he's made known during multiple games. He also likes to point out that "everyone has a scholarship" which should be pulled immediately if/when the player makes a mistake.
    Oh, so hes not impatient, hes just an idiot. I was on the other side so there were others who wanted Lujan in.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
    You must have been close to me. I heard them too. I just shook my head. Didnt he start out 9 for 9? Finished 20 of 33. The impatience of some people kills me. Just like the mens basketball team.

Leave a comment:

• mitchellrabbit
    replied

Actually, he wore one for much of it. I guess my perception was influenced by the late action when he was not wearing them. It also looked like he had his fingers taped late in the game.

A couple of guys in my section were screaming for them to put Lujan in, but there were times when Christion's mobility kept plays alive -- one of the most important being Goedert's reception prior to the FG. I am glad they stuck with him.
    You must have been close to me. I heard them too. I just shook my head. Didnt he start out 9 for 9? Finished 20 of 33. The impatience of some people kills me. Just like the mens basketball team.

Leave a comment:

• WestSideRabbit
    replied

I was pretty disappointed in the playing surface yesterday. I hope our equipment managers took note and next time we have a wet game we have some different cleats in. I can't remember seeing so many guys slip and fall down. I didn't notice the Nova players falling as much as we did.

Leave a comment:

• mango4
    replied

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    I think Eidsness has been very good at playcalling for most of the season, but yesterday just wasn't his day.

I can't say for certain, but it seems like our game plan revolved around running the football (particularly between the tackles) since that is usually the best way to attack a 3-3-5 defense. The thing is, teams that usually run a 3-3-5 do so because they are trying to compensate for a lack of size, but Villinova doesn't have that problem. Matter-of-fact, they had some dudes up front, and couple that with the exotic looks the 3-3-5 can give, and we really struggled figuring it out.

This was likely the first time TC has ever seen a 3-3-5, and it showed. Couple that with the field conditions and we have the offensive ineptitude that reared its head yesterday.

I think we'll see better play calling and execution in Fargo since we'll be playing indoors against a familiar 4-3 defense.
    I'm curious to see what the game plan for NDSU will be. We focused so much on the run the first game, wonder if they stick with that or completely switch it up and air it out.

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    While on the topic of coaching, I already ranted about the coaching, but I wanted to point out how dumb it was to continue to call the QB draw plays, when Nova clearly had them figured out. Eidsness was clearly out coached today. Lucky to get away with such poor play calling. Yes, TC was off today, but imo the play calling didn't put us in a good position to succeed.
    I think Eidsness has been very good at playcalling for most of the season, but yesterday just wasn't his day.

I can't say for certain, but it seems like our game plan revolved around running the football (particularly between the tackles) since that is usually the best way to attack a 3-3-5 defense. The thing is, teams that usually run a 3-3-5 do so because they are trying to compensate for a lack of size, but Villinova doesn't have that problem. Matter-of-fact, they had some dudes up front, and couple that with the exotic looks the 3-3-5 can give, we really struggled figuring it out.

This was likely the first time TC has ever seen a 3-3-5, and it showed. Add in the field conditions and we have the offensive ineptitude that reared its head yesterday.

I think we'll see better play calling and execution in Fargo since we'll be playing indoors against a familiar 4-3 defense.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied

Actually, he wore one for much of it. I guess my perception was influenced by the late action when he was not wearing them. It also looked like he had his fingers taped late in the game.

A couple of guys in my section were screaming for them to put Lujan in, but there were times when Christion's mobility kept plays alive -- one of the most important being Goedert's reception prior to the FG. I am glad they stuck with him.
    That's the problem with a good backup QB. Some fans get restless quickly and call for the backup. I am also glad they stuck with TC. Even if Lujan would have come in and played well, it would have crushed Christion's confidence, which already seemed to be low in that game. I think if we had gotten down by a score or 2, and the game was clearly in jeopardy, a change would have been warranted to try to save the season. Winning that game should give him a confidence boost going into next weekend.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
    He wore gloves for at least part of the game. I saw him rip one off running off the field. I think it was on his non-throwing hand but not positive.

Leave a comment:

• mango4
    replied
    Playoffs 2016: Nova

Christion has worn gloves during other games, so do you think the combination of the cold and snow and no gloves might have impacted his accuracy?
    He wore gloves for at least part of the game. I saw him rip one off running off the field. I think it was on his non-throwing hand but not positive.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied

Originally posted by witness View Post
    Christion looks bad. Yikes
    Christion has worn gloves during other games, so do you think the combination of the cold and snow and no gloves might have impacted his accuracy?

Leave a comment:

• JacksBacker
    replied

Saw this and I agree 100%. Also saw 2 other huge down field blocks by Jake and Marquise in the 3rd Quarter I believe, blocks that paved way for a 1st down on a screen pass to mingerelli. We have tremendous receivers, but doing the little things like that make them great.
    All in all, very proud of this team, they found a way to win a game that they very well could have easily lost. Both teams played their hearts out and both teams should be proud.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    What I am concerned with is if Stig didn't think it was indeed a mistake.
    I completely agree. He panicked and tried to make a move that he thought was a good idea. He should at least be able to look at it and say "looking back at it, I shouldn't have called a timeout there, I tried to make a good decision, but it backfired". I can see why he panicked, because he was probably as surprised as I was that they weren't going to run a quick pass play with 7 seconds left, but at that point you let them make the bad decision and not give them time to draw up a play by calling a time out. I know most of this is obvious, but I hadn't been able to post about it, and it was bothering me.

While on the topic of coaching, I already ranted about the coaching, but I wanted to point out how dumb it was to continue to call the QB draw plays, when Nova clearly had them figured out. Eidsness was clearly out coached today. Lucky to get away with such poor play calling. Yes, TC was off today, but imo the play calling didn't put us in a good position to succeed.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Rant: Coaching in general. Offensive play calling looked lost and just grasping for straws. Defensive play calling was way too conservative, gave them all kinds of time to run their slow developing pass plays on 3rd and long plays. Then there's the timeout at the end of the half debacle.

Rant: TC was absolutely confused and disturbed by Nova's 3-3-5. It's hard to adjust to a look like that in such a short time, but man he was absolutely lost out there. Bad/slow reads, bad throws, not able to evade pressure even when there wasn't much, especially with a 3 man front. I'm glad we're playing a team he's completely familiar with next weekend.

Rave: Goedert. You could argue that he won that game for us.

Rave: Viniateri coming in and making a 41 yard kick, into the wind, was awesome.
    Landberg's blocking on Goedert's reception also bears mention, as he allowed Goedert to gain additional yardage and made it a shorter FG attempt.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    What I am concerned with is if Stig didn't think it was indeed a mistake.
    What difference would it make? I like coach Talley's comments in the press conference. He said it is a rough tournament and he had done these press conferences 22 times and really liked only one of them and that was one after winning the National
    championship. The reason he did not like these conferences was because "You have explain why your team came up short."
    I just think this Stig mistake has got some of us overly concerned. We need to work on our game plan for next week.
    Coach Talley is very classy guy and said he felt we were a better team than Villanova and needed to play perfect to stay with us.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X